“Great service, great staff, great hotel!!”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Long overdue review which we simply haven't found the time to do! We held our Wedding here last August and it was simply fantastic. Took us a long time to find a venue we both liked but from minute 1 we were made to feel special. Aileen has great experience, is helpful, ensures clarity and is reassuring when the stress kicks in. Loads of family and friends stayed at the hotel and they couldn't do any more for us. The whole team of staff were friendly, polite and provided excellent personal customer service. The day itself went like a dream, except the weather, and David (C&B Manager) ensured everything ran smoothly. Thank you for a wonderful day Mr & Mrs C (04/08/12)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear lighthouseglasgow

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your wedding in August at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read your very positive comments and have passed them on to the team here at the hotel, in particular Aileen. We are delighted to have been part of your special day.

Thank you once again for your very kind remarks and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here in an itson voucher - didnt expect a decent room - didnt get a bad room but ALL....I could see out of the window vere vents and chimneys etc. that was it! I gues the vouchers get the worse of what a hotel has - - - the prices for wine Over £20 a bottle and the food was totally out of order pricewise. and only on the basis of common sense would never stay there again..
I guse people there for weddings are trapped to pay these rediculous prices. The bas menu prices are almost the same as the restaurant!. We overheard an ol couple asking someone where Morrisons supermarket was - to get some snacks in for their room. so disgusting.... I think I remember my chick and bacon sandwich was £11 something - eat elsewhere or take stuff with you...... Also I didnt think there was any tea-making - and was furious to find that the side of the wardrobe I didnt use - well it was shut in there - ......

Room Tip: Phone first and ask if your room overlooks all the vents and chimneys - I wish I had.....
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear dorothy1207

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in March.

We do have a selection of room types here at the hotel and a few of our Classic rooms do overlook the adjacent roof.

In terms of our food offering, all of our chicken is corn fed and we do pride ouselves in using the very best of ingredients. Our pricing is in line with hotels in this area of the same four star standard and we do feel that we offer good value for money, I am sorry if you felt that this was not the case.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We held our wedding reception in the Crutherland House Hotel and couldn't have asked for a better venue. Aileen the wedding co-ordination was friendly and very helpful at every stage in the planning. The staff did a fantastic job of setting up the room for the reception, and the banqueting manager made sure everything ran as smoothly as possible. The food was outstanding, we had 120 guests and many of them commented on how great the food was. Everyone was served quickly, the food was hot and even the odd awkward guest was catered for with a courteous manner. In particular the vegetarian food was very good, I am vegetarian myself and the chef was happy to accommodate my requests for the menu.
There was a lovely welcoming atmosphere for a family wedding. The main room is very spacious with plenty of room for dancing and there are many seats in the adjoining reception area for any guests needing a quiet moment away from the band.
Many guests chose to stay overnight and were offered a double room for £90 per night including breakfast. Everyone I spoke to was delighted with their rooms and, as there was a large group of us staying, we all enjoyed a private breakfast together the next day.
We very glad to have chosen the winter wedding package at the Crutherland. Everything was as described in the brochure and the staff provided excellent service, leaving us to enjoy our day. We would highly recommend the Crutherland House to anyone considering it for their wedding.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Frances J

Many thanks for your very positive comments following your wedding at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in December.

I was delighted to read your very kind remarks and have passed them on to the team, in particular Aileen, who were pleased to have been part of your special day.

Frances J, thank you once again for recommending us and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed overnight here with my daughter as a birthday treat and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The staff were very friendly and attentive and the room cosy and very clean with all you require. We had phoned beforehand asking if there was a dvd player in the room as I was a bit under the weather and nothing was too much trouble, dvd in place!.. There was a lovely choice at breakfast with a good choice of cooked or cold hams, cheeses etc, dinner was very tasty and the service impeccable, yes, perhaps not the cheapest place to eat and drink but truly enjoyable. We also had a treatment at the spa which we both loved. The only negative we could find: my daughter used the gym and there was no water cooler or drinking fountain in the gym or in the pool area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Helen M

Dear Helen M

Many thanks for your very positive comments following your stay with us at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in March.

I was pleased to read that you found your room cosy and clean and our food good. I will be sure to pass on your very kind remarks to all of the team here at the hotel.

Helen M, thank you once again and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I visit the hotel quite regularly as I live not too far away and have stayed over on occasion as well. It's always a very relaxing environment and staff friendly and helpful. Food very good and when in the bar area doesn't matter if you're popping in for something to eat or just a coffee. Rooms very comfortable. There isn't very much for kids to do in terms of activities or outdoor play area but never really been an issue for me as I just bring things for my daughter. This is something which the hotel might consider for the future, perhaps a small play area outside for children.

Room Tip: I have always upgraded to a larger room, usually because we have our young daughter with us.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mtm0066

Dear mtm0066

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in February.

I was delighted to read your kind comments regarding our friendly, helpful staff and our good food. I will certainly take on board your comments regarding children's activities for the future.

mtm0066, as a regular visitor I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

had lovely overnight stay there for my friends 50th.................but my god the prices they charge are unacceptable in any language.............£30.45 for four drinks absolutely horrendous!!!!!!!! we were going to have dinner etc in hotel but im sorry to say we could not afford to be totally ripped off...................the same round of drinks in my local is £9.20 where is the justification in that..................the tv in the room wasnt working properly and if you want to get through to reception good luck...........................very friendly staff and we had a lovely breakfast................

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank bonnie0100

Dear bonnie0100

Our pricing is in line with hotels in the area of the same four star standard and we do feel that we offer good value for money, I am sorry if you feel that this was not the case.

On a positive note I was pleased to read that you had a lovely stay, enjoyed breakfast and found our staff to be friendly.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went on 16 March for a spa treatment and overnight stay with itison. Hotel is in lovely surroundings well away from the road. We arrived early for Pre booked spa treatments and to use the spa facilities before heading to our room.
Had a fantastic massage and was shown in to the relaxation room to just chill out for a bit before using the pool etc. Compared to the spa treatment rooms and cafe area the pool area could do with with some refurbishment and there's no special jacuzzi area but it was adequate for a swim with a small steam room and sauna also available.
Had a nice healthy lunch included with the deal which was very good.
Our room was large and comfortable, a few small things that spoilt it, the shower is over the bath and the glass door seal was hopeless letting water pour over the side onto the floor, this meant we needed two bath mats to soak up the water every time we had a shower. I notified the cleaning staff who told me the maintenance man was off that weekend but did give me extra towels to use. The towel rail over the bath was also loose and fell off a few times. As I said nothing major but little things like this make a difference.
What I can say is our meal in the restaurant was very good, fair to say one if the best steaks I've ever had! The breakfast selection was also first class and plenty of it.
We found all the staff very attentive and ready to help.
The place doesn't ooze luxury but very comfortable and relaxing with good food and helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Fudger69

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in March.

I would like to thank you for your very positive comments regarding our staff and in particular the spa treatment and your lunch.

Please accept my apologies for the maintenance issues that you experienced and my assurance that these have now been dealt with.

All of our beef is 21 day aged and I will be sure to pass on your comments to chef regarding your meal in the restaurant.

Fudger69, thank you once again for your kind remarks and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
New Lanark Mill Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!