“Great birthday lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

A large group of us had lunch at The Cricketers to celebrate a family birthday, and we had a really good time. The first aspect that worked well was that we booked the private dining room for our meal, which seats about fourteen people. The room had a wonderful feel to it: cosy and nicely decorated, it felt very personal and intimate. The only thing missing were some blinds to keep the sun out of our eyes, but that's a minor point: If you are looking for a venue for a meal for a larger group, I would thoroughly recommend it. We were even allowed to decorate it with balloons and other bits and bobs beforehand.

Although we did not spend much time there, both the main restaurant and bar looked very nicely decorated, and the overall atmosphere was warm and welcoming. Overall the pub looked full to capacity.

The food itself was very nice. Quality-wise you are looking at gastro-pub levels, although the prices are a little on the steep side for what you get. Having said that, the food tasted good and was presented very well. Our party had a selection of starters including the antipasti and pork sharing platters. Both of which were tasty and looked amazing, although there wasn't a huge amount. Just enough as an appetiser for two people though. Main courses included burgers, salads and the fish and chips and everyone was more than happy with their choices with no complaints. We didn't try out the desserts as we resorted to a birthday cake which we had brought ourselves, but the options looked good and I'm sure would have been very tasty.

I have seen a number of reviews which have reported disappointing service. That is a real shame, and I have to say that the staff we dealt with were very helpful and polite. Food and drinks were brought promptly and they kept checking that we had everything we needed and were happy to provide plates and knives for our own birthday cake.

So overall we had a very enjoyable time and I would recommend this restaurant to others. The food may be a little on the pricey side for what you get, but overall the place can't be beaten. We will be back!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Walked to The Cricketers with a view to eating there later in the week. Ordered an Irish coffee which perplexed all behind the bar, including the manager. We waited for 15mins whilst the staff struggled to find the whisky and then fill the coffee machine and seemed to forget the order. When we asked what was happening , an opened mixer bottle was taken from the kitchen area, filled with cream and then shaken in order to thicken it. It didn't seem very hygenic so we then asked for our money back and we were refunded without an apology.
Nobody seemed to be bothered. What a shame. Won't be going there to eat.

1  Thank GilliWh
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have frequented The Cricketers many times and I would like to inform others that the day this resturant opened it was jam packed with no chance for them to settle in!. With any new business it can have teething problems and I think it has done extreemly well. The team have had to learn how to work with each other, a new working enviroment and a new menu.

I have found all the staff very poliet and attentive and nothing is too much trouble.
The food is very good and the manager is very proactive and always asking how our meals are and willing to listen and act on any feedback given.Someone mentioned they saw him sitting down, I think its ok for him to sit down once considering he has worked 7 days a week for a couple of months.
I have been to some one the best resturants all over the world and I can tell you they have off days!
If these problems which some people have said, were to continue after 6 months then of course I would agree.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Just visited the Cricketers last week and was very pleasantly surprised by this venue. Food service and surroundings excellent. I am told the pub has recently been refurbished and would like to add that the results are just brilliant. Can't wait to visit it in the summer and eat in the extensive gardens.
I live in "Greene King" country and hope they open one like this in Suffolk.

2  Thank Helen W
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Not a good experience. 25 mins to be served drinks, a further 45 for food which is poor form when we had 3 small kids with us. Then one poached egg not cooked and burgers Luke warm. And a one wrong order altogether. Then despite the ham and eggs coming off the bill for the under cooked, it still came to £77 for 4 adults and 3 kids for lunch. Unsure if it is a pub or restaurant. And got the impression the staff there were none the wiser either. I'd avoid.

2  Thank Grant M