“excellent family hotel”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Bracknell
Ilfracombe
“excellent family hotel”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night with a friend and our three children. We had a huge room- more a suite- very clean. It's a little dated but has everything you need and staff are really helpful. They had forgotten to put extra beds in- but this was soon sorted and they provided a free round of drinks-which the adults enjoyed greatly- can recommend the French G&T!!! Just what was needed after a busy day at LEGOLAND. The meals were good value for money- we ate in the main lounge bar. The breakfast was also really lovely. We got a deal so not sure how much this hotel is, but the kids thought it was really posh and loved it as much as the adults

Room Tip: room 330 very large and spacious for a family
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jo H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday for one night. The hotel is of a very good standard and deserves its 4**** rating.
In the evening I went to the Kellar Bar which was in the basement and listened to a live band and drank lager which was reasonably priced at £3.60 a pint.
After the band finished most people went into the nightclub next door which only allowed over 25 year olds. In fairness most people were in their 30s to 40s. The atmosphere in both bars was pretty chilled as there were no young drinkers ruining it for everyone.
The room was clean and presentable and the breakfast was very good. They had a large choice from the buffet to suit every guest.
I would use this hotel again for both business and leisure and would happily recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If booking for a Friday or Saturday night its well worth going down to the Biere Kellar and listenin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and our 6 year old son stayed at the Coppid Beech for two nights to attend a wedding at the Golf Club down the road. An ok and basic experience. No thrills. However on the morning of the wedding we thought we'd utilise the Spa, Gym and indoor pools, mainly the Kid's pool for our son. My wife tried to relax in the Jacuzzi and I kept an eye on my son and sat down around the area where my son played with two other children in the pool. They played nicely not rough, so I was surprised to see my son come over to me not in any distress and told me he had hurt his foot.

At this time I saw no blood but as he attempted to show me his foot the blood appeared. The bleeding dripped onto the surface which was covered with water and before you looked again blood was everywhere. My wife came over and I rushed to the spa reception. I explained the situation and asked for first aid for my son. I was greeted by a member of staff who obviously could not feel my urgency and told me she could not leave the area and does not know about first aid as she is relatively new. She then spoke to a another member of staff who decided to have a conversation with her about whether he could leave what he was doing to aid the (in my eyes) emergency. Eventually with first aid kit in tow after my interjection he followed me. By the time we got back to the pool area the surface was red. The member of staff then put the first aid box on the table then said he had no idea what is in the box but choose what you want. He did not fill me with any confidence. He wanted to put a plaster over an inch gash that was still bleeding. I grabbed a pad and with that put pressure on the wound to try to stop the bleeding. Eventually with another pad was able to stop the bleeding then bandage my son's foot.

The member of staff asked what had happened and when I told him he explained that this had happened BEFORE to another child RECENTLY. The child had sliced their foot on the surface of the pool.

I carried my son to the main reception area en route to our room. I asked the person at reception if they could get someone to look at my son's foot she told me to go to our room and they will send someone up. At this time I didn't know whether to believe the staff in the spa area regarding the surface of the pool or whether it was broken glass or anything like that which caused the wound and possibly had lodged in my son's foot.

After waiting about 15 mins and hearing nothing I went back to the reception. The lady I spoke to before said the hotel is not aloud to send for a doctor or a medical person. She then told me about a hospital in Ascot. With due respect the only thing I know about that place is for horse racing. As this was an unfamiliar area to me I dialled 999 and explained about my concern, that it could be possibly glass in my son's foot.

The Paramedic came and reassured us that his foot would be ok and tried to bandage it in way that he could put his shoes on for the wedding. My son is ok but we ended up being late for the wedding.

The next day I spoke to one of the managers. I asked to see the accident book but she refused. She told me I was not allowed because of other guest personally details. I was not too happy about this as I would expect an accident book to have details of an accident but not necessarily guest details.

She waived the cost of stay and assured my that after a week they will write to give me an explanation once an investigation had taken place.

The following week another manager contacted me to tell me that there had been no previous incident at the pool and he personally had refurbished the surface of the pool a couple of weeks before so obviously there could be no problems with it. This really maked me wonder why he had to do this in the beginning. Did he have to repair something on the surface after an incident as previously had been stated to my wife and I or was it because of his repair my family and I went through what we did during our stay? He did not make me feel reassured but angry as he tried to make me feel like what I had said did not happen although he was not there. Again he said they will write to me in a weeks time. I insisted on this as it is not about the money but about the safety of other children whose parents expects their children to play in a pool unharmed and where the hotel owes them and us a duty of care.

I am still awaiting the investigation report and it is a month after our stay.

Believe me I will not put this to bed until we are satisfied.

My son had to miss his football training and no longer wants to learn to swim (which is vitally important). However we continue to encourage him but his confidence is now lost for the time being.

With regards to the spa or rather the pools and its surroundings it has about an inch water that encroaches around the pool so be very careful walking otherwise it could be easy to slip in the pool if that is not your intention. Also the tables and chairs located in the kids area have the same problem. So you get the feeling of uncleanliness as your feet is always in unexplained water.

Kate on reception did come out with credibility unlike the other staff my family and I encountered. Especially the manager who phoned me.

Again, the pool area is not safe, the staff are not trained sufficiently in first aid and considering it's a spa with gym equipment this is very serious. The first aid box also needs be replenished.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank TMR65

Travelers are raving about these Bracknell hotels

Irvine, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have to use this hotel when on business at our offices close by but that said I am impressed every time I go down. The rooms are spacious and furniture well placed in the room. The bathrooms are massive with a nice big bath and powerfull and warm showers. Always have plenty of towels available as well. The eating and drinking in the hotel is a tad expensive though. great facilities on site with plenty of parking space,. Staff are always proffesional and willing to assist when approached. I would stay here if I personaly had to choose outwith work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Somerset UK
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Staying one night for access to a local family event. Chose this hotel because other relatives had already booked in for a longer period. Very pleasant staff, clean room, everything you could want for breakfast, well presented, spacious comfortable bedroom and bathroom, though window too small to be able to dispense with artificial lighting.
BUT:
- NO signal to the TV, which said to check all the connections in that case. I did, no change.
- NO free wifi in my room. All I was offered when I searched on my gadget was one which, according to the terms and conditions, was going to cost me, and invited me to have the (unspecified) amount added to my bill. Relatives apparently had no problem with free wifi in their rooms, and I was able to get it in the lobby the next morning. Too Late, I wanted it last night to check my e-mails. In my room.
- NO book of welcome/information about the hotel and its facilities. Plenty of things around about things I could pay for, such as beauty treatments, food services, internet/TV packages (including adult movies! no thanks), nothing about anything else that may (or may not) have been available. Perhaps it would have been on the TV if there had been a signal.
Next morning, with a few minutes to spare before going down to breakfast, I just checked the TV again. 'Welcome, Mr ......' At Last! Desperate to hear some news, I went straight to the Radio channel choices. Popular stations only, my morning essential, Radio 4, not available! Extraordinary for a four-star hotel! Anyway, Too Late. I imagine someone have just forgotten to switch it on for my room when I arrived the day before. Not good enough.
But I can't imagine why I couldn't get wifi - perhaps up there on the fourth floor I was too far from reception. Perhaps it was linked to the absence of signal to the TV. Certainly they shouldn't advertise free wifi throughout the hotel if they can't provide it throughout.
I thought of asking for a reduction on my bill, but I considered that the funeral I was about to go to was more important than my risking getting all hot and bothered about this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed Bank holiday weekend.
The suite room was very large and accommodated 2 adults and 2 children 2/6 no problem. Room was clean & tidy. A few signs of wear & tear but overall ok. Jacuzzi bath a particular favourite of 6 yr old. Rooms lock was too low so kids could open it so had to keep eye on them,the chain was same height. All they need to do is raise this to adult height. Food was excellent, room service good.
Expensive though, as are drinks.
Breakfast is fine, except you have to order fried eggs?. Staff are particularly helpful. We would stay again. Didn't use swimming pool etc so cannot comment

• Stayed May 2013
Durham
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a coach trip getaway and could not fault anything clean, comfortable and spacious rooms we would definately stay here again. The only food we had here was the continental breakfast which was good but the food was recommended by another guest who ordered room service and said it was really good and value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor

Been to Coppid Beech Hotel? Share your experiences!