“Hotel is OK, most expensive breakfast ever!”

Grange Bracknell Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Bracknell
East of England
“Hotel is OK, most expensive breakfast ever!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Started a new work assignment, and tried to book a hotel by my office, but this was fully booked, so this hotel, The Grange in Bracknell was my second choice. I tend to travel in the early evening to my hotel, and I did this when I stayed here, yet there are some things that I feel I should tell potential bookers.

Access to the hotel during normal hours is via a small shopping centre, which is just off from the Bracknell Bus station (and train station), and the hotel is accessed via a set of escalators. This works fine during the day, but when I arrived at 9pm, they were closed.

The route that is sign posted to the hotel out of normal hours takes you through a number of sets of stairs and corridors. The hotel is built on an old site which looks like the shops are built in a 60's low rise flat block. This has many corridors and stair wells which I imagine are a great place to lurk and jump on unsuspecting people. At 9pm when it was dark, and no-one was around, I didn't feel safe walking through all of these corridors etc.

This needs to be improved.

Once in the hotel, check in was smooth enough, and I was sent off to the lifts, which were perfectly fine and clean to my room.

The room consisted of a double bed, small desk, semi-old TV, small bathroom and a small window. The decor is very dated, and is in need of a refurbishment sooner rather than later. There is nothing wrong with it, but this hotel is behind the times. It has the air of a hotel in the 80's, rather than 2012.

The first thing I do when I get to a hotel, which I suspect a lot of people do, is turn the TV on. My TV would not work, and when I did coax it into life, I could only get BBC1. The TV remote would not work. So, I picked up the phone to call reception about this, only to find that the phone was not working!

I had to use my mobile phone to phone to main desk number to report the faults, and to order room service!!!! Someone did attend the room, but failed to fix either problem.

Room service was of OK quality, nothing to write home about.

The bed, whilst being reasonably firm and comfortable, had the thinnest sheets on it that I have seen for some time. The mattress topper was paper thin and when moved, the mattress didn't look overly clean. I slept ok, because I was tired, but it's not the best bed I have slept in, nor is it the worse. The thought of the grubby mattress put me off.

Next morning I went down to breakfast, and had the standard offering which was fine. Nothing special about it, except "THE PRICE". I was charged £18 for a standard english breakfast, which I consider to be an utter rip off. The following two mornings, I skipped breakfast at the hotel and went to a local cafe, which was £6 for a full english. I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and this is the most expensive breakfast ever!!!!

The TV was never fixed during my stay, and I gave up trying to use it in the end. The phone was fixed.

Would I stay here again, no I would not. The hotel is in desperate need of a face lift, the facilities in the rooms are dated and in my experience did not work as expected. The food was expensive, yet of average quality and the route into the hotel for me, late at night was quite a scary experience. Unless these shortcomings are rectified, I cannot see how paying in excess of £80-£90 per night is justifiable.

Room Tip: Sorry to say, but there is nothing to recommend this hotel unless you must be right next to an offic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Rooms OK. Stayed in a double which is fairly spacious for one.

Pretty clean.

Staff had OK levels of customer service. My perception was that you are looked slightly down upon if you wear Jeans and trainers but that stopped the minute I opened my mouth and spoke in RP.

Food has been good in the past this time the burger with bacon and cheese was absolutely not as it should be. Bacon rubbery, Burger was cooked like a very rare steak I.e. browned outside and raw in middle certainly not worth £9.50 even if cooked thoroughly. I actually would have rather had the questionable meat from BK just outside the hotel. My guest had same with her Burger.

I did call down and asked them to be taken away and I absolutely refused to pay for them. The receptionist offered a replacement which I declined. After about 2 mins a male server took them from our room and after seeing them and leaving he then came back to say sorry as an afterthought.

After 40mins no call re the burger or an apology from the receptionist I called down and found that she had spoken with the duty manager and agreed to have the total bill struck off for room service.

We then as we were hungry ordered two veggie dishes. Still not worth the cost but nice. After we ordered again as an afterthought the receptionist apologised. We got our dishes but they forgot our side salad which the female server ran up to give us. The female server was very good and apologised profusely which at least someone realises the ramifications of what happened.

Whilst they did do something about our problem that should never have happened in the first place and keeping us informed shouldn't be taken for granted.

Grange you can do better, I know you can and if it had been one of those visits you would have earned a four/five. In all fairness when an issue occurs it is how it is dealt with which keeps your custom and for me it was the female server and how she took what happened stopping us from writing of the hotel completely.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Reallynow1
Jersey
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night at the start of Jan for a course with work,. The hotel was great the staff very helpful on check in and then the guy on room service was very polite sorry about the poor tip. Slept very well which i dont normally do in hotels and breakfast was very nice as well. Looking forward to going back soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on Business (hotel chosen by me) so the value rating is probably a bit biased based on the fact I was reimbursed at the end of it.

Overall I was very happy with my stay at The Grange, the rooms were clean although the decor perhaps slightly dated. The restaurant is nice, food tasty, breakfast options were good and the staff were always helpful and attentive. Only downfall may be that there was a notice stating that you may not be able to get a table at Breakfast as there were only a certain amount of tables. Fortunately for me I went no later than 7.30 and always got a table.

The area surrounding the hotel isn't fantastic, the shops shut at 5.30 which is a pain (particularly for me who didn't get home until 5.30 at the earliest each day).

Overall this is a nice hotel and its in the centre of town.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Currier14
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Located right in the centre of town the entrance is a little tricky to find and I managed five circuits before finding the way in. The hotel itself is well priced for what it offers and the service is pretty good. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable with a good WiFi signal etc. The food was nothing to write home about but was fairly priced and tasted good. All in all a pretty good hotel although the views are terrible!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Surrey
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went to The Grange again for New Year's Eve. We stay overnight so we don't have go out in the cold and can have a drink without worrying and they do a very good package. The Dinner and Dance was £99 per couple, you got Buck's Fizz and Canapes to welcome you and a three course buffet and tea and coffee + champagne to toast the New Year, if you stayed over they had a late breakfast and check out. They had tables of eight in the main room and also tables for two or four in the Restaurant which was quieter, you can collapse in the chairs in the bar between dancing. The Hotel is very clean and toilets are immaculate.The Hotel was full as it is very popular, so if you want to go there you must book up early. We will be going again this year. Thank you Joseph and your team.They do a very good Valentines Dinner/Dance as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Altough we live locally, we stayed the night here after a new years eve party.
The buffet was extremely good although could of been kept a little hotter.
The music was a bit of a let down and did not get many on the dance floor for any length of time.
We played the black jack which was fun and one of our party won on the tombola.
The rroms were very nice and quiet.
I think it was excellent value we also had a really nice cooked breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: very quiet room on the fourth floor overlooking town centre
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
#7 of 7 in Bracknell
Premier Inn Bracknell Central Hotel
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Travelodge Bracknell Central

Been to Grange Bracknell Hotel? Share your experiences!