“Just average”

The Golden Retriever
Ranked #3 of 110 Restaurants in Bracknell
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Golden Retriever in Bracknell is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Bracknell
“Just average”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Been here about five times for small family meals. It's the same drill. Busy and not at all interested staff. The bar staff ignore you and the waiting staff seem overworked. Last visit despite booking we waited over 30 mins for a table. When the meals came out, the roasts were missing items and my gammon came complete with undercooked chips. Frankly, this is a chain and this is not very good. Loads to choose from in this region. I'd only go if it absolutely have too.

Crowthorne, UK
“I want it to be so much better”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We have been eating and drinking at the Retriever since it was opened. In my opinion the food has steadily gone down hill. Looking at the menu, I think they offer far too many options to be able to maintain high standards. It's a shame as it's a lovely pub with good real ales and a great atmosphere. The staff are great too. Can be frustrating on busy nights as they don't take bookings.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Good family pub”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Went for family Boxing Day meal. High standard pub food and the venue also offers a relaxing atmosphere for a nice drink. Good family pub that we go to a few times a month

Wokingham
“Very Disappointing...”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I ordered 'Seared King Scallops, with pea puree, black pudding, crisp chorizo and tomato gazpacho dressing' as a starter for £6.75. Instead of 'King Scallops' I was served one scallop chopped into tiny pieces, plus a few prawns on the black pudding . It seemed to me that they had run out of scallops and scraped something together with the prawns. It would have been nice if I'd been asked if I'd like to change my order perhaps? The waitress claimed this dish was always served with prawns.. - strange they were not listed on the menu then! The hot parts of the starter were luke warm at best - very disappointing.

My main was 'Forestiere Guinea Fowl' - the 'Forestiere' sauce tasted like a well known brand of condensed mushroom soup - very unexciting. My friends fish pie looked dried out.

The bar staff were polite, the serving staff acceptable, the guy who appeared to be the manager seemed to be going out of his way to avoid eye contact with us altogether!

It's several years since my last visit to the Golden Retreiver - I shall not be bothering again.

London, United Kingdom
“Average food & service but still a homely pub”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The food is different to your avergae pub menu, something different. Service can take a while as they're always busy. They also tend to run out of things on the menu, like Sunday roast (on a Sunday?) or vegetables or evern coffee? Bit odd. Staff are always friendly & accommodating. However, there was a leak from one of the bathrooms upstairs which was dripping into a bucket in the dinning room right near our table...talk bout disgusting.

Not aimed at couples, more of a family & friends atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012