“Expensive: seen better days”
Review of Hilton Bracknell

Hilton Bracknell
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Bracknell
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Expensive: seen better days”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Midweek, the hotel is popular with business guests. I was "upgraded" to a fairly tired family room. The bed was huge and the mattress was pretty comfortable, despite the aged look of the other fittings in the room. It's really disappointing that a hotel which charges over £130 per night can't be bothered to re-grout the tiling in the bathroom which was mouldy around the bath and peeling away, plus missing in places between the floor tiles. The cost of doing so would be less than a couple of pounds at most, take a few minutes to do and just displays a complete lack of care from hotel management (pictures attached). I say this in particular as there are several reviews on here dating back Sept 2010 showing exactly the same problems. How many guests have stayed in these rooms over the last 2.5 years and how much revenue have they generated? And still no repairs are done?

For two consecutive days, there were no tea bags left in the room from housekeeping. The TV reception was poor on some channels.

Service in the restaurant was patchy and food was either served really promptly after ordering, or over an hour after ordering depending on the night. It was never really that busy so the kitchen wasn't exactly stretched. The quality of what was served was pretty mediocre and the menu quite uninspiring. The price is not really what you would describe as value for money, just expensive hotel fayre. Starters are £4.95, most mains £16.95 and deserts £4.95. Steaks etc are more- for example, they also do a surf & turf dish for the princely sum of £28. At these prices, I would expect something pretty special and far more impressive than what we got.

Lastly, my real annoyance is at the outrageous charges to use the hotel wifi: £15 per day, £60 for 5 days and, wait for it, £75 for 7 days - that's more than I pay my broadband provider for an entire year!

Both the internet and food charges are a complete and utter rip-off, designed for business people on unlimited expense accounts. What Hilton should realise is that most employers will reject an expenses claim nowadays for outrageous charges like these and this therefore influences my choice of which hotel I choose to book in future. At these prices, with rooms that have seen better days, its unlikely to be the Hilton in Bracknell.

1 Thank rtwexplorer2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Turkish first
Midlands, UK
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I arrived late on a Sunday evening after a long drive. Checking in at the first receptionist who asked me to go to the next person. Had I strayed into the exclusive club lane? Yes. Was anyone else around. No. How important does your customer feel? Not very.

The room was tiny and not 100% spotless. Not dirty but not spotless either.

The TV requested I press the menu button but the remote lacked said button and no amount of button pressing could get it to display a menu.

Very limited channel choice and poor quality reception too.

Breakfast was very good but I felt rushed as staff were constantly milling around and the aircon blew cold air over hot food. But lots of quality choice. I also had lunch in the restaurant every day for a week and can recommend it highly.

Overall I was disappointed and expected better from Hilton.

London
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just what you'd expect when booking a Hilton in Bracknell. It's the sort of price you'd expect, the sort of room you'd expect and the sort of bar and food you'd expect. All more than adequate for the money paid.

England
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have just had a two night stay at the Bracknell Hilton in a Plaza room on the ground floor. The room was large and pleasant, with a 6 foot bed, however it was the hardest bed I have ever spent a night in and I slept very poorly. My preference is always for a walk in shower, so an over-bath shower with a curtain is a disappointment, but I appreciate that others would bemoan the lack of a bath. Breakfast was fine and the staff were very friendly, which is worthy of note as this is so often not the case in large hotels. One little thing, the tea tray only had tea and coffee, and in this very cold weather hot chocolate would have been very welcome. Overall good value, just a shame about the bed.

Washington D.C.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Chose this hotel for a business trip due to the Hilton name. Staff were friendly enough, location convenient, but room was drafty and dark. I was told I had received an upgrade due to HHonors status but the room was rather poor, not what I expected. The breakfast area was recently renovated, quite nice and while the variety doesn't change each morning the breakfast was quite good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the courtyard if you want light and don't mind a bit of traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
GM_Bracknell_Hilton, Manager at Hilton Bracknell, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
At Hilton we continually aim to attain and uphold high standards of attention to detail and guest satisfaction from the very first stage of booking all the way through to a hospitable and ‘hassle-free’ stay and check out. I deeply regret that we clearly failed to meet your expectations during this Hilton Journey. Having read your comments – please be assured that I have raised the matter with my relevant Heads of Department and left them with no doubt how imperative it is that we maintain our usual high Standards.

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback and we are sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay.
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Excellent breakfast and very friendly crew members. Unfortunately there was no heating in the room and as temperature dropped i had to ask for another blanket - low price solution at a high priced hotel. Be careful and ask for a portable heater in your room to avoid getting frozen is my advise. Overall my vote goes for the Grange - at the same price much better overall value.

Room Tip: Ask for a portable heater in your room to avoid getting frozen during wintertime
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was there on business. I had a negotiated rate with breakfast included. I got a loud room no 450 on the 4th floor facing the road. Really loud. Room was renovated but with no heart in it. At first it looked ok, but there were many issues with it. Please see the pictures. There was mold around the window and in the bathroom. Fixed radiator was a safety hazard and was sticking out so you could accidentally hurt yourself while passing. There was a mobile electric radiator as well.
Bathroom was not cleaned up properly and I found used tissue on the counter. I have never had anything like it in any of the Marriotts or Hyatts. Shower curtain hanged barely on a few clips that were not broken. Awful view. Every evening I had to move my shampoo and shower gel back from the sink to the bathtub - probably room service expected me to shower in the sink.
The oddest thing though was water. It would run ok for 3-4 minutes just to start trickling away to a stop. Just 10-20 seconds later it would jet out with full pressure. This would happen every few minutes. Both in the bath and in the sink. Imagine showering in those circumstances.
I brought a bottle of wine from the airport and had no cork screw. I asked for one at the reception and was sent to the bar. I asked at the bar and was lied to my face that they do not have one! There was a row of open wine bottles behind the bar maid who talked to me. The bar manager saved the day and lent me one for a few minutes.
Breakfast buffet is so so, but this is true of most UK hotels in the middle of the range. It was included in my rate, yet at check out it was charged to my bill and twice on the first day! I asked for it to be removed and it was without any fuss. But why would I even need to do it?
Gym is quite used as pretty much the rest of the hotel. The whirlpool is cold and runs at intervals which are impossible to predict. Swimming pool is lengthy and enough to go for a decent swim. You need a pound coin to be able to use the lockers.
I did not like my stay. The property is depressing and worn. I would not recommend staying there.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not facing the road and it has been cleaned before you move in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Bracknell hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bracknell
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Premier Inn Bracknell Central Hotel
Royal Berkshire Hotel
Royal Berkshire Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sunninghill

Been to Hilton Bracknell? Share your experiences!