See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

Locals always seem to rave about sunday roast at The Admiral Cunningham so we thought it was about time we give it a go, we've eaten there before and enjoyed a nice midweek pub lunch.

Now if I had to pick a last meal, it would most definitely be a Sunday Roast, I'm a big fan of a Roast dinner and as The Admiral is almost on our doorstep offering proper home cooked food we wanted to see if it lived up to its reputation.

I ordered the Admiral Super Roast for £10 offering Beef, Lamb, Turkey & Pork with Extra potatoes, Extra vegetables, 2 yorkies & 2 'Battered Cauliflour'

My husband ordered the Bacon double cheese burger £8.50

Our meals came within good time and was lovely & hot, my Roast appeared to have plenty of meat, no skimping, proper hand carved decent size slices of meat, two slices of stuffing & 2 very well done yorkies (overdone for my taste, very dark, charcoaled/burnt on top & very crisp) a few roast potatoes, some battered Cauliflour, I believe the mushy veg on the plate may well have been marrow with a piece of crackling & a bowl on the side of the plate containing a few slices of carrot some cabbage & garden peas. The young man serving us brought out some more gravy in a dinky little jug

I have to be honest, having ordered a Super Roast for the Extra Veg & Roast Potatoes I did feel a little dissapointed, I figure 3 & 1/2 small quarters of spud is average on a roast & the veg didn't stand out as anything substantial by the amount provided. The dark meat was well done (again overdone for my taste) but lean. To be fair it reminded me of having dinner at my nans when I was younger. Not bad but not a meal i'd rave about either, fairly average. As for the 'Battered Cauliflour' I had my reservations about that but was pleasantly surprised, it was realy tasty, strange but very nice indeed.

Hubbys burger was lovely apparently, cooked just right, nice & juicy, not overdone (he's a big fan of medium burgers) whilst it wasn't quite so lightly grilled he was more than happy with that part of his meal, not so happy with his chips mind, very dark & had an 'old fat' taste to them.

All in all it was ok, retro style cooking with quirky touches & lovely friendly staff.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2016

The owner is obviously dyslexic as this is a hovel not a hotel.
How, in this day and age, is a business is allowed to charge for accommodation in this state? It really is bad.
We had room 8, top floor, tiny twin room. Stained smelly carpet, mouldy window frames, a cupboard that thought it was an ensuite (looked like someone had bought a caravan bathroom in the 1980's, installed it and then built a cupboard around it).
Unfortunately for us, it was Silverstone weekend, and there was very little accommodation left when I booked it.
I didn't think it would be as bad as it actually was, and there was nowhere else near available so we had no option but to sleep there. The best thing that I can say was that the sheets, pillowcases and towels were, thankfully, clean. I didn't pull any furniture out to inspect, as I just didn't want to know.

The toilet seat had a big crack in it so when you sat on it, it nipped your skin.
The caravan bathroom was clean, though, very worn and stained. We didn't use the shower. It was that depressing that we left as soon as we woke up. No one around to check out so we posted the key through the check in desk hatch.

Room tip: Do not stay here unless you are desperate or have very low standards.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Francesca S
Reviewed June 24, 2016

This is our second visit to the property as we tend to chose this hotel for Ascot weekend, due to the good atmosphere, closeness to racecourse and the budget price.

Yes, this hotel is basic but has all amenities needed and to be honest all you are doing is sleeping. We found the rooms albeit basic, very spacious, yes the bathroom is small but done the job. I would however agree with the shower situation in our room it was so hot you was unable to stand under it, the mixer was broken. Yes the hotel is in need of a bit of a makeover but we did visit our friends room and that did look newly decorated i think a refurbish would do the place good as its in a lovely location, beautiful settings and was busy. However for the cheap as chips price including your breakfast it was fine for us especially on Ascot weekend!

The breakfast is brilliant too choice of cereals/tea/coffee etc and a full English, tasted great looked great couldn't ask for more on the breakfast front.

I am quite sure this wouldn't be a hotel picked for a "romantic weekend away" Like us we chose this hotel for the "pub atmosphere" for after Ascot. We thoroughly enjoyed the Saturday night entertainment, great DJ with a good selection of music, a wonderful friendly atmosphere and the bar staff were second to none ... great service. Yes I agree this hotel is a noisy hotel and could prove a problem for those seeking a peaceful night (bearing in mind we was there on a Saturday).

Also loads of free parking at this hotel and an outdoor area.

Overall, we were happy with our stay done the job and I am sure we will return for Ascot weekend again next year!

Thanks again for having us!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2016 via mobile

Ok it's a pub ...it,s a Tuesday night

When I checked in asked about the noise from the many tv,s was told it would be lower in the evening , just back ground noise

NO it became louder ! !

Room we had was tired and battered, but clean and nice size

Shower hit and miss , felt like showering in a caravan, lovely view over the gardens though ..

Loads of free parking

It's cheap as 55 for two folks Inc breakfast , free very good wifi

But needs a full refurb and soundproofing lots of bloody soundproofing

Oh and bar staff that are not so economical with the truth ...

Food was lovely but small portions , asked for a salad instead of a brioche bun

Ended up with rocket and er rocket ...

Chips where home cooked and fab !

Would I stay again ?

Only with ear plugs

But it's cheap and cheerful ...

Not sure I will be in the morning !

Ahh the morning comfy bed slept well

Breakfast freshly cooked quickly served , no complaints ..

Think this place has a bad rep , for the money it's a bargain

If you can get past the noise !

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2016 via mobile

The Admiral Cunningham is set in beautiful grounds and could be a really impressive hotel, but the building is tired and needs a massive make over! The beds in our room looked really inviting with crisp clean white sheets but then when you sat on the side of he bed your bum the hit the base as the mattress was so worn out! The room was very basic and again very tired! We arrived hungry but from the state of the chef that appears from the kitchen to check the football score there was no way we were going to eat here so we went out to eat - didn't even have the breakfast that came free with the room as he put us off! I received an email a few days before arriving asking us to contact them before we arrived to arrange payment of we didn't want our details from booking.com used - so my husband called to give them his card details and then when I have checked today they took the money from my account that we specifically asked them not to! So not really sure why they bother to email you! Unless the place had a serious make over I would not return and I wouldn't recommend to others either!! Sorry!

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple