“The best restaurant around!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shahi Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 103 Restaurants in Bracknell
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Nepali, Balti
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Nepalese & Indian Restaurant
Bracknell, UK
“The best restaurant around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've been meaning to write about Shahi for ages - we first went here after looking on trip advisor for a good indian restaurant in our local area. When this came up as the top restaurant in bracknell, and indeed second in the whole of Berkshire (at the time certainly), we had to give it a go. I can say that we were not disappointed, quite the opposite in fact.

The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, the restaurant has a really nice atmosphere - don't be put off by the outside - it is well worth the visit. As for the food, it really is some of the best Indian / Nepalese food I've ever had, indeed we took my parents here a while back (my father is heavilly into Indian food and cooks it himself from scratch so is not easily impressed by most restaurants) and they loved it and were very impressed.

We've not yet found a bad dish - every time we go back we try to have something new - there's no excess fat sitting on the top of each dish, the flavours are all very well balanced, and the portions are very good sizes. On top of all that, it's incredibly good value - every time we go we're amazed at how small the bill is in comparison to what we've just consumed!

So stop wasting time and give them a visit - you won't regret it.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank TWH_UK

London
“Obviously very popular locally, but not worth a special trip.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

After reading the very positive reviews here and noting the No.1 in Bracknell rating, we thought we make a special trip to see if this was the hidden gem of Indian/Nepalese cuisine we have been looking for.

The earlier reviews had prepared us for the odd-location – in a row of shops slap bang in the middle of a housing estate – so this came as no surprise. The outside of the restaurant was not appealing and the decor was rather tired, but we tried not to let this influence us. It was nearly full at 7.15pm, so that was a promising sign.

The menu contained some very unfamiliar names and we ordered from these for starters and main course. The dishes that arrived were much like you'd find in any other Bangladeshi/Indian restaurant, both in taste and appearance. There was nothing to complain about, but nothing particularly good to relish.

The place is very reasonably priced and obviously has a very dedicated local following, but it really isn't worth a special trip.

• Visited January 2013
Bracknell
“Two hours and no delivery, then lied too”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had used this restaurant for many years. Quality was ok then it fell off. Lately I heard it had improved. After two to three acceptable meals we placed an order for a family get together. 40-50 mins later, nothing. We call, the driver is just on the road. 30 mins later. Same lies. (Our road is one mile long with two sides, and about 20 houses) another 40 mins and I call. The woman again lies, I challenge her and she says she had tried to call 11 times. I asked her to confirm the number, she couldn't. We had 11 people over, all within feet of the phone I tell her. M&s he changes tact, the driver is lost. Sorry I say? He's been on the road for over an hour according to you. I tell her to refund my money as we do not want the meal. She says she can't. It's only when I threaten to sue that the manager comes on. He tries to say its just minutes away. I insist on a refund. He says ok and hangs up.
It's only by checking the bank that we see the refund for over £100 was done. To this day, two months later the food hasn't arrived, and neither has any apology. As a result, all of my family and friends have changed to the Amir restaurant, Binfield.

Shahi. Awful service. Go elsewhere.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Peter S
Bracknell
“Lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor my fiancé and I decided to give this place a go last night. As others have commented the location is not great but the food was really tasty. Service was slightly slow but we weren't in a hurry so it was no problem. The complementary drink at the start of the meal was a lovely touch and it was nice to try the Gurkha beer. We tried two of the Nepalese starters to being with which were both delicious. For mains we tried the Nargisi Kofta which were really tasty as well. Both the food and drinks were also very reasonably priced, £53 for 2 starters, 2 mains, 3 sides, 3 large beers and a small beer. All in all a lovely meal and we will defiantly be coming back.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Sarah P
Berkshire UK
“Excellent as always!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Once again we had a lovely evening at Shahi Restaurant.
Friendly, efficient service, great atmosphere and superb food - this place never fails to impress.
Give it a try - you'll be glad you did!

• Visited November 2012