“Excellent meal - deserves more patronage!”

The Plough & Harrow
Ranked #14 of 107 Restaurants in Bracknell
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal - deserves more patronage!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had only ever had a drink in this pub before but recently had my first meal there on a quiet Wednesday evening. The lasagne I ordered was excellent! One of the best I've had in fact. It was a shame the pub was not a little busier as it deserves a bit more mid-week patronage. It's small but has been decorated really well, making it feel very cosy and welcoming. I will definitely be visiting again.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Warthog66

Reading, United Kingdom
“Friendly Local Pub”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We've lived in the area for many years and in the past I've not wanted to go to the Plough & Harrow. However since Carly the new landlady took over, we've visited a number of times and had relaxed evenings with good honest pub food.

The new decor is fresh and clean, and they've gone out of their way to change the layout of tables when we've gone in with a group of friends so that we could be accommodated.

The only thing i'd like to see is the menu extended a little and a few more vegetables/salad.

Locals should give it a second chance!

1 Thank HoddyP
Maidstone
“A real shocker”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Dropped in to see if anything had changed since the new tenant took over.

What a disaster.

Ordered our drinks and the man behind the bar was really nice. Then some bloke called Clive wandered in, shouting the odds to some other customers. The atmosphere was tense to say the least and this bloke only added to the feeling that the pub is somewhere to be avoided.

And who on earth reserves parking spaces for horses?! Absolutely true!! Maybe horse is on the menu?

All in all, a dreadful place. We left after finishing our drinks.

2 Thank Abdul H
Bracknell
“Well presented and tasty food”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We've lived near The Plough and Harrow for years and have popped in for a quick drink once in a while and so decided to try it out for a meal now it is under new management. The new decor is nice and it looks fresher and brighter than it used to. The TV was off and has been moved to a less prominent location.

The sausage board was a good idea offering a choice of flavours for the sausages, mash or chips and 3 gravy choices. We both had the sausage and mash which was nicely presented and certainly very tasty. I'd certainly go back to try some of the other flavours on offer.

We got there at 7.30pm and it was very noisy with quite a lot of young children but they did all leave the bar area at 8pm as the notice outside requested. It was then much quieter and pleasanter for an evening out.

The staff were very friendly and we will go back again.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Nice new decor, but not sure I'll return after two tries.”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We live locally, but in the past, my wife's visits for lunch never seemed to go well. After the refit, we've tried it again. I have to say, I like the way it's all been decorated. Bang on and very appealing.

However, the space of the pub is quite odd, so there are a number of tiny tables by the window, and on our first visit, we chose one of the few bigger tables (for four) near the toilet. We were a bit concerned about traffic to the toilet, but it was actually the nearby door to the kitchen that was irritating. Opening and shutting constantly, it spoiled the nice impression the decor had made, to be constantly viewing the kitchen storage shelves, etc.

On our first visit, there was a really cheery bar lady. It was a Friday lunchtime, when the menu offers don't apply (only Monday to Thursday) and the pub was a quarter full. I had the chicken curry which looked splendid, and was better than most pub curries; but it could have been better. Drawn by their theme of sausages (a special board lists a load of locally farmed ones that you can choose from), it was disappointing to find more than half the sausages were unavailable (before this visit, my wife had gone there without me and it had been the same story). That said, she enjoyed the sausages she did get.

So, slightly put off by the constantly opening kitchen door by our table and the lack of sausage choice, but impressed by the decor, we decided to return a few weeks later... mid-week when one can have the same food, but a few quid cheaper.

Our second visit was hosted by a less cheery barman. We were alone in there until another odd soul or two wandered in towards the end of our meal. This time I had the fish and chips. Great presentation, with some nice touches. But somehow, it just wasn't that delicious. Again, my wife's first choice of sausages were unavailable. We'd chose a better table, but only by pulling a small one (for two?) away from the window so three of us could sit round it.

Well, we're locals. We're gave it two chances. Love the decor. Struggle to feel comfortable with the layout. Presentation aside, we weren't impressed enough with the food.

Hard to get an atmosphere in there when it's so empty. We think the headlining sausage board special theme is a great idea. But, Plough & Harrow, you have to have the sausages available once you've tempted your customers.

Don't quite feel we can add this to our list just yet. We'll try again towards the end of the year. See if the food gets up to the promise the revamp teases us with.

• Visited April 2013