“Breakfast Fail”

The Bearded Dragon Tavern
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Tamborine
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Australian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brisbane, Australia
“Breakfast Fail”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We visited for breakfast on Saturday 16 February 2013. As it was quite a drive to get there, I was hoping it might be alright... but I didn't have terribly high hopes after reading some other reviews around the place so arrived with low expectations. But, seeing as our friend wanted to go, we went. Well, The Bearded Dragon's breakfast menu is rather basic but everything is still described as if it might be OK (descriptions included Fat toast and home made vegetable hash brown as part of my breakfast.) Pricing certainly wasn't bargain basement though so my expectations were somewhat raised.

Well everyone's food arrived fairly promptly (which was one good thing considering I've heard a few horror stories of people waiting ages here). Nevertheless the food was incredibly average. The Eggs Benedict ordered by some frieds with ham looked very dull (english muffin, thin shreaded ham and eggs with a bit of hollandaise and that's it). We all ended up with different random thin toast (Luckily we all weren't fussy as one arrived Multi-grain, one white and one Wholemeal and NONE were fat like the picture. My "home-made vegetable hash brown" was straight out of a No Frills home freeze pack I'd imagine, and the "rasher bacon" came out as dry short-cut bacon.

My hot choclate was made on water and very weak. My partner ordered an orange juice and was given a cup and guided with a point over to a jug and told to help himself. Turns out it was one of those concentrate just add water juices that was more like cordial.

There are signs all over the place and in the menu that you MUST know your table number before you go in to order. I went in with my friend who ordered, then I ordered saying it would be the same table... and got a scowl followed by a request for the number again. Well apparently this requirement is just fun game because with the amount of times a staff member brought out something and asked if any of our table had ordered it, if we'd just said yes we could have had breakfast about three times over!

All in all, nothing memorable about our Bearded Dragon Breakfast, but certainly memorable enough for me to give it a terrible review. Do yourself a favour and find a nicer place up in the mountain, or just stay in Brisbane and go to one of hundreds of wonderful breakfast options! Heck, even just go through Maccadee's drive through if you just want the same quality.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Benjamin G

Melbourne, Australia
“Nice environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and i had lunch one day after a bit of sight seeing. We were there in the middle of the week and it was very quiet. We decided to sit in the outdoor area which was very pleasant.
The food was nice and the prices not too bad.
I think this place would be fantastic at night or on a Sunday afternoon. It would be perfect to get together with some friends and spend a few hours. there seemed to be lots for children to be kept busy.
Worthwhile having a meal there if you were passing.

• Visited January 2013
Mooloolaba, Australia
“great day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

What a great place so much to see and do. The friendly staff and the food was really great. Then to our surprise there was a reptile show and it was FREE how good is that. Cant wait to go back and spend a weekend there. I will be taking a few people back there so I can show them what a great place to visit. Thanks to the staff and locals at the Bearded Dragon for making our day out a great one.

Visited January 2013
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Cold Beer, Great Food and Entertainment.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We visited on a Sunday afternoon, it was very hot and the cold beer went down a treat. Their Wagyu Beef Burger is probably the best that you can get (and I am firm on that!). There was a Live Band Playing (Pretty good too!). This place also does accommodation. There is an Australian Reptile Specialist here who puts on a show explaining about some of the rare and in some cases dangerous indigenous reptiles of this part of Australia (I believe that this Guy supplied some of the reptiles in the I'm A Celebrity TV series?) If your in this area of Queensland pay The Bearded Dragon a visit.

• Visited January 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Didn't even get to eat!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I took my partner here for lunch on his birthday. As we pulled up 2 bus loads of people also arrived. We ordered lunch promptly (just over $70 for bread and 2 main meals) and were told it won't be long (there were no other people in the restaurant at that stage). While waiting I purchased 2 cans of coke ($4 each!). Absolutely ridiculous prices! We waited and waited and waited. Another group arrived and ordered meals and we over heard them being told it would be at least 30 minutes due to a lunch function (for the people on the bus). We had not been told that. After waiting a total of 50 minutes and having received no food or attention from staff I sent my partner up to ask what was happening. He was told the food was just about ready and will only be a couple more minutes. A minute later the waitress came over and said "I have some bad news" it appeared that our order had not printed through to the kitchen, so our meals had not even been started! So not only were we waiting a long time and totally ignored by staff but we were also lied to! We received a refund and went elsewhere for lunch.

1 Thank lizandchris88