“Lovely spot but food does not match ambience.”
Review of Albert River Wines

Albert River Wines
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Tamborine
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Gorgeous spot and lovely old buildings. We went at night so did not get the full impact of the place. Would love to go there again for weekend breakfast or lunch. A big group of us went and the reviews were mixed. Those who ordered pizza complained of them tasting microwaved and the base too doughy. The veal parmigiana was apparently very good and I was extremely impressed with the Linguini Marinara...the large quantity of seafood in the dish was very fresh and top notch. The service was also very good with the exception of one meal arriving five minutes after the rest! I think the delightful rural setting is this restaurant's saviour and I will definitely be back in the future. The prices probably reflect the quality of the food so for this reason it is pretty good value for money.

1  Thank rebecca g

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I recently came to eat here with my husband and two of our friends, on a Sunday. After reading all the other reviews on this page, I am grateful to say that the service and meals I was presented to, was fabulous. As soon as we arrived we were greeted with a lovely waitress, taken to our table, brought water, and were given a few minutes to order. Our drinks came out straight away, with our meals coming out on the average 20-30 minutes. After tasting the chicken and the barramundi, It's safe to say I would of happily waited a lot longer.. DELICIOUS! And the deserts were just as lovely. Staff were polite and professional and the music was fabulous, letting me leave Albert River Wines with a smile on my face.

DEFINITELY GOING BACK !!!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a birthday group (14) lunch at the Restaurant on a Sunday. You would think there would be plenty of staff on, especially when they know they will be busy with group reservations and walk-ins. Unfortunately, the drinks service was very slow. I ordered a G&T with lime and received a drink with lime cordial, instead of a lime wedge. One has to wonder about a bartender who doesn't know how to make such a basic drink as a G&T. The wines are very immature and quite expensive for what they are; typically blended from trucked in juice. The food was average with the potato crusted fish coming out with the potato overcooked and very bland steamed vegetables. The stuff bell pepper was huge but contained mostly cous cous and was quite tasteless. The entertainment, two musicians singing, helped the food digest and take one's mind off the less than value for money beverages. However,, if you want to go and listen to some nice music and relax and enjoy the country scenery, then by all means. Just don't expect the food and wine to "make" the day!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Had forgotten to leave a review following my wedding here in late 2011; have noticed poor reviews on Tripadvisor today & have to agree.

-Our wedding co-ordinators changed 3 times due to resignations over the course of a few months planning our day which was a bit unsettling. One co-ordinator was daughter in law of the new senior co-ordinator & at some point the senior changed us over to her daughter in law's hands not long before the day. Our planner was lovely in manner but somewhere in between their busy schedules many details were missed. We were reassured that things were stable since a change of management which turned out not to be the case.

-Two ceremonies are held per day in busy times to maximise profit & we had requested that we not cross paths with the other wedding party, however during photos we were advised that the other party was heading our way as they wanted some shots taken at our location, despite having had their time allocated earlier & not taken the opportunity. Despite requesting politely that we be given a couple more minutes & time to separate ourselves, before we knew it the other group was coming up right alongside us with the senior coordinator’s permission. It was fairly difficult to know that the more preferred group of the senior coordinator had been given privilege & difficult to feel disregarded on our special day. Even our photographer was surprised that we were forced to shuffle away to avoid any more awkwardness & that we had not been listened to.

-Later we discovered that the vegetarian mains [including mine unfortunately] were incorrect & not what we had ordered but we didn’t want to make a fuss & it was too late by this stage.
-Centrepiece lights in the middle of the tables were blue instead of pale white as we’d asked for which clashed with other green décor.

-A long term family friend who I had grown up alongside could not attend as he lives in Shanghai, but sent an email message which was passed on by him & myself to the coordinator however on the night it did not present itself to the best man & basically disappeared. When later asked about this the senior coordinator who handled feedback of our concerns said that our coordinator had handed it all along & in her written response stated “as to why they were not read out, you should ask him.” Our best man denied this & like my husband is a very reliable man which was why he was picked in the first place. My childhood friend's parents were there on the night of the ceremony & knew of the email, wondering why it was overlooked.

-Although cutting up the cake it was left messily on a big platter near the bar rather than in bags near the bridal table inside-many guests left not realising this & were not aware that the cake had ever come back in after photos, I had to tell as many as I could which shouldn’t exactly be bride duty & was a little embarrassing. Like the menu, they acknowledged that it was a mix-up but again appeared to put some type of blame back onto us, stating that normally “the MC announces the fact that the cake is available and where and we will ensure that they do for the future.”
I feel that myself & husband are generally pretty low maintenance & do not like conflict, perhaps we needed to be more assertive however all of these issues arose on the day, amongst the stress of stormy weather also, & we had been ensured during planning that everything was being taken care of.

-I felt that the senior coordinator’s response generally was fairly rude & accusatory. At one point she stated in email “Also, when the storm stranded you and your guests in the chapel, the person that was drenched to see if you guys were ok was me!!! And we had organised, had the storm persisted, to transport everyone from the chapel to Auchenflower house, in MY CAR, as it is a 7 seater, again another example of going the extra mile.”

Please be careful in considering ARW as your venue for a wedding. Much will depend on the coordinators & time of year you choose. I felt very uncomfortable with certain staff but had put it down to stress in the leadup to the wedding day. Following the manager’s feedback to our concerns I again felt written off as a walking profit maker to them & disregarded in our concerns.
If circumstances dictate you do choose this winery please be careful in the planning & [after having suffered terrible weather] I would recommend the chapel rather than vineyards so you know you are backed up & have one less thing to worry about. Also the location is not convenient so be careful in providing good directions to your guests with invitations.

13  Thank Carebear79
Reviewed November 9, 2012

we dined at Albert River Winery last week with a Cudo voucher whilst searching for a potential wedding venue. we arrived and were welcomed straight away at the restaurant. our voucher included a choice of one of 2 entrees (vegetarian or seafood) and one of 3 mains (Indian lamb, chicken or fish) as well as a glass of Albert River wine off the menu. The wines are lovely (so much so we bought a few to take home). My fiance and I chose the calamari and greek salad entree. the calamari was very fresh and tasty however the batter over the calamari did let the dish down, so did the excessive use of Cajun seasoning all over the plate and dish. the cajun seasoning didn't really compliment the entree or the main?! maybe a nice flat leaf parsley sprinkled over the dish would have complimented their new spring menu better. My fiance ordered the Indian lamb main with had lovely flours however was very dry and over cooked. i ordered the prosciutto wrapped chicken which was also very dry and overcooked making the skin of the chicken and the prosciutto very tough to cut and chew. the veges were also under cooked and very dry like they had been reheated? or yesterdays veges reheated? entrees were $15 on average and mains were $26. Our Cudo voucher cost us only $49 for the two entree and two mains and two glasses of wine. I was happy to pay that price and don't believe the meals were worth the price on the menu. This was a good opportunity to also experience the quality of meals and service for our wedding. As a result, we have decided not to consider Albert River Winery as a potential venue. We also didnt really appreciate the resident dog begging at the table either. we have a dog of our own and fully understand, however you dont expect this when dining at a restaurant.

All in all, a beautiful location with beautiful local wines however the new menu does need some attention as does the marketing of the winery as a wedding venue.

1  Thank rokstar_evo