“A very average experience”
Review of JavaLava Cafe

JavaLava Cafe
Ranked #22 of 29 Restaurants in Pennant Hills
Cuisines: American, Belgian, Italian, Australian, International, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2015

Seen this place get built a while back and wondered if it was any good, but as its not far from home we never get to stop in, but having a guest who wanted to take us for coffee and cake we thought, why not?!

So, stopped in here for coffee and cake at 3pm on a sunday and the place was busy with a queue of people ordereing / waiting for coffee. Getting a table was hard work as while there were a few they were dirty with old plates and cups. Eventually I caught the eye of a guy delievering food and asked him to clean a table for us, which he did, but i didnt see any of the others get cleaned while we were there and doubted he would have done ours if we hadnt asked, he was too busy.

Ordering was slow, food delivery was even slower. C'mon guys, have you never seen the CBD guys cranking out coffee in the moring like a well oiled machine? Im guessing not... I didnt expect it to be instant, but it was around 30mins for 3 coffees and a muffin!

Anyway, while we waited for the food we noted that this place seems to be the local late-teen's hangout, lots fo dating couples and friends meeting for milkshakes etc. All good. But then a couple of girls came in and occupied the table next to us. Now I dont mind a laugh but wow these two were OTT, squealy and very very loud, then a 3rd came, then a 4th. Now if youre in that age group, think about this... no one else needs to know the intimate details about your weekend. Inside voices please! So we had to move, no one could think or converse near these lot. Ok, customers are not a fault of the cafe, but this is a hard surface environment and that does no favours for noise and no staff member came by and suggested they tone it down a little. Luckily we were able to share a table out the back with a kind couple and we are thankful that no one sparked up while we were there. phew!

The regular latte was a bit bland and more milk than coffee, the skim was better. The muffins were a bit dry and delivered cold on a plate with no extras.

So with heavy heart I have to say, I wouldnt recomend this place. Poor staff, slow service, noisy environment and so-so food and drink. Don't bother.

Reviewed February 16, 2015

Recently moved to Sydney from Tasmania, and while Tas may not be known as the cafe capital of the world, there was always a good spot to grab a cup of something that resembles coffee, and sit to watch the world go by. Something that is hard to find in the Sydney 'burbs without going to a Westfield. So when I found myself at the pharmacy across the road from JavaLava, I thought I had hit on a winner.
I'll be honest, there was a little thing in the back of my head that noted there weren't many people in there just prior to lunch, but I thought how hard can it be? Most franchise or multi-outlet stores can usually churn out something functional and consistent. WRONG!
First- the lady taking the orders at the counter worked like someone who was new. Only, I don't think she was new. One of those people that doesn't even look up from the register between customers, so I ordered my coffee and toasted banana bread by talking to the top of her head. No eye to eye contact.
I took my number and grabbed a table outside, which was fine until the smokers lit up. (A common complaint at this place).
It was only 5 minutes or so before the bread arrived, however it was the raspberry bread, not the banana bread. That's the second failing.
Then, after waiting for about 15 minutes, I looked in the window to see nothing much happening. At this point I figured the coffee had been long forgotten about. Strike 3. I went inside, asked for a refund on the missing coffee. The girl sorted this and apologised emphatically, but it was too late.
One of the very few indoor/outdoor, streetside cafes around, and already it has been struck off my list. I Was so disappointed in fact, that I came home, made a coffee myself and reactivated this old account to write a review.
And now (not surprisingly), I find that many, many other reviewers have had similarly poor experiences here.
Honestly, don't bother with this place.
I know the coffee snobs bang on about Gloria Jeans and similar places not being 'real' coffee and all that stuff, but they're an example JavaLava should be following...

Reviewed December 11, 2014

Outrageous prices for milk shakes. Beware advertised prices on their board above counter are for take away. It costs 70c extra to drink it in the cafe. Don't ask for ice cream in it or it will cost another $2 per milk shake. Milk shakes are too expensive to start with, being $6.60 as against the average price being $5.50. A mistake was made at register also overcharging us another $2.
Have to say the milkshake did taste nice though, but way to pricey!!

Reviewed November 7, 2014

We have dined in here once, but usually get something takeaway instead. The food is always good and they do a remarkable job of making the entire menu available as takeaway, and served to similar standards as dine-in. Some parts of the menu are perhaps a little pricey, but overall it's not bad for the quality of food you can expect.

Reviewed October 31, 2014

I went to Java Lava on a Saturday morning before a library study session. I ordered raisin toast and a banana and strawberry smoothie. I ordered the toast because I was quite hungry and menu says 'Thick toast' and then lists the kinds they have including raisin. When it came out it was a standard size slice like any loaf of bread you buy at the supermarket. When a cafe advertises thick toast, one assumes the almost 1 inch thick 'cafe style' thick toast which would really fill you up even if you only had one slice. When it is as thin as what I had at Java Lava it is almost cold by the time it reaches you, thank goodness the butter was nice and soft or I would have struggled to butter it evenly. The smoothie was fine but came a few minutes after I had already eaten the toast. I can't stand paying nearly $5 for toast I could make an entire loaf of at home. That price bracket is for super thick cafe style toast. I won't be returning. My money is better spent at the supermarket next door next time Im in the area.