“Nice stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Havre, Montana
“Nice stay”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here one night before our flight out the following morning. Was really impressed and it exceeded our expectations. So wonderfully convenient to have access to teh airport shopping, lots of dinner choices, and we were able to pick up last minute gifts at the Coop and Migros. Worked out perfectly for us, so nice not to worry about transfers in the morning before our flight. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest

A big thank you for sharing your thoughts. Exceeding your expectations is something we are very proud of, so thank you! We are glad you could finish your last minute shopping and we hope you had a safe onward journey.

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Yours sincerely,

Werner Knechtli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Radisson Blu Hotel at Zurich airport is such a rare hotel where the management / designers have understood that travellers need silence.

The comfort, courtesy, convenient location and ... silence... of the hotel is superb.

This hotel is absolutely Worth a visit!! The wine tower in the lobby with the dancing waitresses inside is a bit over the top, but don't let that fool you.

It is not cheap, but the quality you get is making it ok.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room in this hotel!
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comment. We are happy you enjoyed your 'silent' stay with us. We do believe that it is important for guests to have a peaceful night despite the proximity to the airport.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Montreal
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed overnight in order to make a connecting flight the next morning. Enjoyed being able to walk indoors to the hotel using the airport luggage wagon. Check in was quick and smooth and we had an upgraded room overlooking the airport - not a necessity unless you love planes. No noise heard at all. Because we arrived late in the evening, we didn't have supper in the hotel. The buffet breakfast was excellent with many choices including eggs cooked to order. The room was spotless and perfect for our stay. Hint: Keep checking the room price as you get closer to your travel date - our price actually dropped 15 CHF so we rebooked at the lower price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Here is a big thank you for your comment. We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with your stay with us. It is great you enjoyed our breakfast and a peaceful night despite our proximity to the airport.

We hope you had a safe onward travel and hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Carlisle, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and sometimes cringe when I pay the typical CHF 300 + (US$ 310 + or so) to stay there. Mediocre hotels in Switzerland are expensive, after all, and this hotel's proximity to the airport is attractive. During my last stay, I was charged CHF 749 (US$ 772) for one of my nights. The rate was disguised on my reservation by displaying what turned out to be an average nightly rate for the room (the second night for the same room was CHF 304, so the average was CHF 527). I thought the CHF 527 rate was outrageous; but the CHF 749 rate was mind boggling and I do not look forward to the audit my expense report at work will receive!

I noticed the high, CHF 747 rate on my check-in card and even though the hotel had availability that night at a lower rate (around CHF 500), management - with icy Swiss efficiency - refused to alter the rate. Since it was after 4 pm and cancellation charges would apply, they had me over a barrel and I had no choice but to accept. Congratulations, Radisson management! You gained an additional CHF 250 of revenue that night by not altering the rate. But you lost a customer, as well as any other customers I can influence (like my employees at work).

I stay at expensive hotels all the time and believe me, this place is overpriced and really not that special. There are much more charming - and fairly priced - hotels available in downtown Zurich, a short and convenient train- or taxi-ride away.

3 Thank John B
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for giving us such extensive feedback of your stay with us. As you may know, our rates vary according to availability and we do regret you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We nevertheless hope you had a safe onward journey.

Kind regards and thanks again

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Any airport hotel will struggle for views or sunkissed bars , but then you are there for the convenience . The Radisson has a great entrance and the evening Wine angels in the wine tower are a delight . Staff are friendly ( very busy morning and evening rush hour time ) Rooms are comfortable ( avoid those looking into the atrium unless you wish to be seen ) , a good bar , good grill restaurant and ( obviously ) a good selection of wine . Very disappointing gym given the rest of the hotel . The business centre is great ( I was there for several of those all day conferences ) and they have excellent facilities .

Room Tip: Take a room with bath and shower ...you can watch tv while showering !!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad you had a good time with us and were able to try our grill restaurant - with a great view onto the Wine Tower. Regarding the gym - thank you also for this comment, we also offer our guests special rates at the Airport Fitness Center just below our hotel. Please ask at the reception the next time you are here so you can enjoy a bigger fitness and spa area.

Best wishes and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

San Francisco
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed for 6 nights for business. The room was comfortable with plenty of closet space and the business related amenities. Internet speed was good. The convenience to the trains were fantastic and much appreciated. Breakfast was standard without any variation. View was the worst which consisted of mounds of gravel around an airport off-ramp with a HUGE billboard of a woman on a stretcher being carried into a helicopter (but can't fault the hotel for this since it is at the airport). The business package was convenient with complimentary non-alcoholic mini-bar access and inclusive of breakfast and internet. Food was average to above average. Cleaning service was great. I felt very comfortable here and would forget I was actually staying at the airport due to the ambience and amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking inward to the wine bar (with the wine angels) if you want something more inte...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson-Blu-Zurich, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comment and feedback. We are glad you were satisfied with our service - we couldn't ask for more than happy guests.

We regret you had an unpleasant view from your window. Please feel free to contact us before your next trip and we will try and get you a better view.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Yours,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2013

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and checking out the Radisson Blu website, I was really looking forward to staying here, hoping it would be a nice way to end the trip. Plus, I knew I would be rushed the following morning to catch my flight out of Zurich, and this option allowed me to casually head to the airport and check-in.

After finding my way through the underground passageways from the train station to the hotel, I checked in and went up to my room on the fourth floor. I had requested a view of the airport (at an extra charge) because the picture on the website made it look pretty interesting. But, in my opinion, I would highly advise that you opt out of paying for one of these rooms unless (perhaps) you have one higher up in the building; the view from the fourth floor is pretty pathetic!

But, this wasn’t the worst thing... What immediately hit me upon entering the room was the horrible odour that was poorly masked by the Swiss equivalent to Fabreeze. After a few minutes I thought I would get used to it, but I didn't. The closest description I can make is that it smelled like dog-breath with the hint of peppermint (as if the dog was given a breath mint). I ventured off to Zurich’s city centre for a few hours and came back to the same wall of stench I had originally been slapped in the face with upon entering the room. I couldn't take it, nor could I pinpoint exactly where the smell was emanating from...

I should also mention that the room was not at all as clean and new as the pictures would lead you to believe. There were stains on pretty much everything, and the cupboard drawers even had some kind of pink candy smeared on them, not to mention the light switch that had something brown-ish smeared on it...Thankfully I packed some sanitary wipes and wiped down the light switch and door-knobs (I wasn’t taking any chances at that point). I also checked the bed for not only bed bugs, but a dead body under the mattress (like in the movie “4 Rooms”...at least that would have accounted for the odd smell). I found neither, thankfully!

I went down to complain about the room (mostly about the stench) and they sent the cleaning lady up about 15 minutes later. I tried to explain to her that there was an odour in the room, but she didn't speak a word of English (or French for that matter). After a few minutes of pantomiming my way through the conversation, I gave up; the language barrier between us was almost as thick as the barrier of stink present at the entrance to my room. She left, and I sat in my room shaking my head in disbelief.

I went back down to the front desk and a woman kindly exchanged my room with one on the other side of the hotel (facing the highway), and removed the extra $15 charge for the airport view. This new room smelled better though was still scented with that same peppermint smell as before. It was also still somewhat dirty due to the residue on the floor tiles of the shower, and the random assortment of stains on the carpet. The view was better as well, even though it was of a highway.

For a newer hotel, I certainly expected it to be a bit cleaner...
I do have to mention that the restaurant at the back of the hotel lobby was very good - Very nice/accommodating staff in there, and fantastic food! The wine-tower, although a bit gimmicky, was pretty impressive given that the levitating women acrobatically maneuvered themselves through a rather narrow gap between a pane of glass and a backlit tower of wine/champagne. And, they do this repeatedly throughout the night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

At this point I would like to thank you for taking the time to give such detailed feedback. Constructive criticism is very important and I am grateful to you for pointing out all the aspects which did not please you as our guest.

Regarding the smell, as we are located right at the airport we guarantee our guest a peaceful night. This however comes with the fact that one cannot open the windows. I have forwarded your comment regarding the cleanliness on to the respective department.

We are nevertheless glad you enjoyed your meal at our restaurant.

We hope you had a safe onward travel.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Werner Knechtli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opfikon
Movenpick Hotel Zurich-Airport
Swissotel Zurich
Swissotel Zurich
#39 of 139 in Zurich
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,147 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!