“Very nice setting with good food”

Piccolo Padre Pizzeria
Ranked #36 of 334 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: For over 21 years the tastefully converted 18th century Maltese villa has played host to over 12000 celebrations and special evenings while enjoying enchanting views of Balluta and Spinola bay Piccolo Padre is renowned for its quality and consistency.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Very busy Restaurant and this is why, we walked in without booking and ask for a table outside we where advise that it could be 20 to 25 minutes wait so we asked for a menu and and also a drink while we waited, we sat in a very comfortable lounge area as we looked at the menu, had to call someone again to order the drinks, had a sip on our drinks, just over 15 minutes later we were led to our table outside with a nice view listening to waves below, placed our order and had a glass of wine from the bottle that we ordered. We shared a starter and my wife had seafood paste as a main, wish I ordered something else then the burger, nothing wrong with it. The service needs tweaking a but would go again. Good value

Write a ReviewReviews (1,577)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Been in Malta for almost a month now and the restaurant looks so nice from outside and on the corner near Balutta Bay. Decided to go here after seeing the menu online and the prices being very reasonable and wanting some good decent food with a nice view. Booked a table on Monday and got a quick reply which was nice confirming the table, I requested a table on the balcony.

Arrivied at 7 pm, greeted by someone friendly then the Manager who took me to my table and wow what an amazing table with a nice view, so damn romantic and lovely thought it was amazing so far and couldnt wait for the food.

Waiter gave me a menu and appeared 5 minutes later to take my order.. decided to go for a starter which was focaccia with olives and roasted tomatoes. Came after 15 minutes or so and came out looking lovely. But the taste was just weird and odd, was like a plain dough with loads of oil and few bits of olive and tomatoes, no other taste and so strong and oily, didnt enjoy it but was starving.

Ordered grilled swordfish which comes with wedges and salad. Waited over 25 minutes and it arrived, again looked amazing and nice. However the wedges were not cooked and very hard, not acceptable when paying around 17 euros. Salad was just so oily and the swordfish was just about cooked and tasted a bit raw, my fault I guess should have asked for it well done but was tough and again the taste was just bland with nothing on it just oil. So had oily tasteless fish, uncooked wedges and salad dripping in oil - not very nice.

This was when the service went really downhill, I finished my meal and sat there waiting for over 20 minutes for someone to come take my plate, I even tried keeping eye contact with waiters 6 times walking past my table but ignoring me, all the guys seem to be busy and helping others, do not understand why not hire more staff when busy!

Finally someone came, then took my plate. I ordered desert, hummingbird cake. Arrived quite quickly which was good.Was basically a carrot cake, with pecans. Was nice and tasty, the best part of the meal.

Overall bill was over 27 euros for myself. Next time I go I guess I will order the pasta or pizza as I would love to sit on the same table or the balcony with the amazing view and hearing the sea crash onto the rocks.

Would recommend but wouldnt advise spending loads on food or expecting amazing food or quality or service, such a shame, this place has so much potential. Management need sacking or need to learn, this could easily be number 1 place to go in Malta just some major issues which need sorting.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you get a seating outside on the balcony, you're in for a very nice experience. The food is good, the grilled seafood is excellent, also the swordfish and pizza. The best is the view, if you are sitting outside.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Disappointed in this restaurant for dinner, after a lovely lunch up the road at Fresco's. A rather average plate of chargrilled seafood and salad, but more disappointing was the lacklustre service. Seems like it's always busy in that restaurant - said the waiter to me when I asked - so it must be easy for staff to go into automatic pilot. Shame, as it's a truly lovely spot by the water. Had a lovely dessert cake as well, but if I hadn't ask for the dessert menu, I doubt it would ever have be offered to me. The waiter just seemed pleased we had paid our bill and could just move on to the next table.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Me and my wife chose Piccolo Padre for our wedding meal after we got married in Malta. I have previously visited a number of times on my last visit to Malta. We got in touch long before the booking and very quickly with the help of the manager got a set menu sorted for 18 people.

When we arrived the food was excellent and the service superb, everyone got what they ordered and enjoyed the food. The views out into the bay from the terrace are brilliant and it's a great place to watch the sun go down.

Overall if anyone is looking to organise an event here or host a lot of people I would certainly recommend this to anyone, the food is top class with a wide selection to suit all tastes.