“Utterly Divine!”

The Villa Brasserie
Ranked #46 of 331 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The 19th Century Villa - The Villa Brasserie, Wine Bar and Terraces is overlooking the picturesque Bay of Balluta, St Julian's Valletta. The Terraces are split into 2 open spaces also ideal for Weddings and Functions. The atmosphere is homely as if you are dining in your own private villa and gardens. It is an uncomplicated and pleasant service with great music. Hope to see you soon
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Our hotel recommended and booked this restaurant for us. We were greeted by the owner who knew our names and which hotel we came from. This was a lovely touch and we immediately felt welcomed. The restaurant itself is beautiful, set in an old converted villa with amazing views of the old town. I asked for a light, dry, elegant wine and was served exactly that. We were given a selection of freshly baked bread, sticks and crackers with olives and tuna pate. The waiter was very informative and enthusiastic about the restaurant and menu. I had an octopus Carpaccio on rocket with seared tuna and my boyfriend had a mezze (meant as a sharing plate but they made it for one cos he really fancied it and I was worried I’d be too full to enjoy my main course). There was tons of it and I couldn’t resist a bit of a pick in the end! My boyfriend had the fillet of beef and I had a local fish (Gruber I think) with a sea urchin puree. The food was divine, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. All the staff were lovely and I kept making our waiter take pics and we had a bit of a giggle with him. We had no room for dessert!! We complemented the owner who came to sit with us and offered us complimentary drinks but we were too full! Our bill was 76 euros plus tip (I had 2 glasses of wine, my boyfriend doesn’t drink). We had a really lovely and romantic evening in beautiful surrounding and felt that it was worth every penny.

4  Thank Elayna D

Reviewed July 28, 2011

As I`ve been many times to Villa Brasserie I would like to disagree about Beppes comment that he didn`t get any bread, because I know that every client gets one (or sometimes even more then one bread basket) after food order is been taken by a waiter. Maybe if squid salad was the only food Beppe ordered and he felt like to compensate his empty stomach with lots of bread, could be he felt a bit upset not getting bread (and bread only) on his table. The only comment Beppe could say is that bread was too tasty to say 'no' to have lots of it, because at Villa bread is always hot and fresh, it`s been baked for every single client, before food is been served.
I always got my drinks straight after order is been made, maybe timing on Beppes watch isn`t correct?
Sometimes I find it difficult to understand people who complain about every single little bit....I suggest to Beppe to eat at home not go around places in Malta, because maybe his dissapointment is coming only because of that reason that he is part of Intercontinental hotel kitchen team?!
My suggestion to Beppe...when you go out, take your mind off from catering, eat, relax and enjoy your time off from work!

2  Thank elisabeth_malta
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I'm from Spain and have had a wonderful time in Malta. I went to The Villa last night with my friends and family and I would like to recommend this place to all travellers.

Food amazing, service friendly and good price for such high quality... You won't find anywhere else in Malta.

Thank you...

2  Thank Alexdebahia
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The Villa Brasserie is a must for any visit to Malta. Situated on St Julian's Beluga Bay, it perfectly blends contemporary dining with a traditional setting of an elegant stone villa house. I chose to eat al fresco on the terrace overlooking a tree lined square, church and small boats bobbing in the quiet bay. I was immediately made to feel at home by the attentive staff who have a relaxed manner and are very well informed about the menu. Those looking for a culinary treat will not be disappointed. The food is exquisite and is complemented by an extensive cellar to suit all tastes and purses. The days catch arrayed to delight the both the eyes and then the taste buds. I had a delicious prawn bisque to start and followed it with a melt in the mouth plate of roasted vegetables and sea urchin scented cauliflower purée. I'm going back there tonight to try the octopus carpaccio and well, lets just wait and see what today's catch is.....!

2  Thank pparagon
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I've been to the Villa on many occasions, and I can say that not only has the service always been excellent and staff courteous, but the prices for a restaurant of this caliber are excellent. (I can't speak for the wines as I'm a non drinker)

So my experience:
My recommendation is to try the shrimp carpaccio - and the meats are very good too (Just make sure you tell them how you want it done). This is the one place where blue really means blue! The only thing that didnt get 100% from me was the "Gnocci in Squid ink" which is ... an acquired taste- and maybe vary the music there a little too (Not play one cd over).

The location is superb, staff are always there to help you and the terrace views are really very cool. I almost always take clients there as it is such an impressive place. Specially about the staff, they seem to have been trained well because they always ask if there is anything else you need - other restaurants need some training in this regard, and run as soon as you give your order!!!

Overall, this is one restaurant that I would stuggle to find anything wrong - except that I wish that the lunch would open!!! (Or maybe it has and I didnt know about it?).

Finally the manager Chris is a great guy, and very helpful. He always takes the time to explain food details to you, and is very professional. He also is a chef, and is very obviously (and rightly so) proud of his work, as it shines through when you discuss the menu.

Keep up the good work!!!

4  Thank mambo_machine