Alexandra Hotel Malta
InterContinental Malta(Saint Julian's)
$193
$156
  • Pool
Le Meridien St. Julians(Saint Julian's)
$250
Hotel Juliani(Saint Julian's)
$229
TripAdvisor
1,066 results
All reviewsrooftop poolbig balconycleaned every dayfresh towelsbars and restaurantsspinola baypacevillejulianstwinvalletta
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have just arrived back from a Rugby tour , from which we stayed in this hotel. The negatives were as follows:

The food was very bland, as if everything had been boiled
There was a lot of nose in the corridors of an evening, until the early hours
The swimming pools were empty and very dirty. The pool on the roof had 2 inches of stagnent water in it.
The sun lounges were full of grime
Construction work woke us u at 7 O'clock every morning

The positves were few:

The staff were friendly and tried to help when possible

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed April 15, 2010

If you are thinking of booking this hotel then look at the photos and you decide!

If you have already booked this hotel ask to be in the rooms at the front above the bar and the reception area as the construction noise is more bareable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We’ve just returned from a four night stay in Malta booked through expedia. We stayed at the 3* Alexandra Hotel in St Julians paying over £135 per night for this sort of money we expected a Good quality, well equipped hotel.
From our arrival and for the duration of our stay we were very disappointed and amazed about much we were charged for a dirty, faulty, poor serviced hotel.
To list just a few of the problems with our stay:-
- The first room we were given 408 was very small with only one window facing a wall, it was dilapidated and dirty, the sockets were loose, skirting falling off, drawers falling to bits, the toilet flush was a pull cord affair that had snapped and the shower a plastic extension that created merely a dribble. We stayed there for 20mins before hearing from another of our party that recently decorated rooms were available.
- Reception wanted to charge us 90euro to change to a decorated room, 30euro deposit! 60euro fee. Should we really have had to pay to have a room that’s been decorated in this millennium!!
- I had called before our trip to check the hotel had both a cot and a kettle available for our 6 month old and to make up her feeds. The cot wasn’t in the first room 408 like reception had said and when we asked yet again for it to be brought up to the newer room 612… firstly the porter couldn’t fit it through the doorway! I eventually had to take the door of the hinges personally and help the porter struggle through with the cot, we then spent the next 10 mins trying to re-align the hinges to rehang the door. Secondly, the cot arrived covered in a fine sand or brick dust, the porter give it a passing glance of a wipe leaving our baby’s cot mostly coated in dust. I spent the next 20mins wiping down the slats and spindles to at least make it acceptable for a baby to sleep in
- Before the cot incident I had asked about the kettle I had been promised was available. I was told by the receptionist that the bar was open 24 hours a day and I could get my hot water from there! This was obviously an issue trying to boil up bottled water twice a day for baby feeds and sterilising bottles, going from the 6th to ground floor each time. Once the cot had been cleaned I went back down to reception to hand in the original room key and asked the same receptionist if she was sure there were no kettles available... she replied that there were but I needed to request one! I asked her what I had done before when I’d asked her… she had no response.
- To freshen up after the flight we both took showers to find the water was a like filtered sea water… very salty… made you feel you needed another shower after you’d got out. It also leaked out of the side screen rotting the wooden door surround and flooding the floor. Some of our other friends stayed at the Le Meridian hotel, the water there was normal.
- The kettle provided had a broken thermostat and wouldn’t switch off once boiled, it just kept boiling! Until you pulled the plug out.
- Twice in our stay there were power cuts in our room and I had to climb on a chair to reset the RCD to get the power going again. I suspect the kettle was the faulty electrical device tripping the circuit.
- The two pools listed in the hotels facilities were both empty at our time of stay. The sundeck overlooked cranes and building sites from all sides and has cinderblocks randomly placed around the deck…
- On one occasion, the lift got stuck on the ground floor and I had to force the doors open for the three of us to get out!
- The breakfast was feeble, tasteless and gristly, served on miniature plates, the coffee was watery and appalling.
- Builders were noisy working and shouting downstairs all Saturday afternoon, working to 8.30 at night.
- One of the two single beds in our room was broken and the chip-board base sunken into the frame which creaked every time it was used.
As a result our holiday was generally spoilt by the horrendous facilities and service of the Alexandra hotel, this was made worse by the fact that friends of ours staying at the Le Meridian hotel were paying over £25 a night less than we were with all the facilities and spa available to them with unsalty water showers!
If my wife and I were still students we would have accepted the facilities from a hostel but not at £135.50 a night from a hotel! And not with our daughter onboard. This holiday was supposed to be a relaxing sun break but all-in-all I’ve come back more stressed and very unsatisfied with the standard of hotel I received for the money I paid. How can you charge the sort of rate comparable with the major Hilton and Le Meridian hotels in the area for what is a student hostel with the ‘s’ missing from the name!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank vw_matt
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The web images were nothing like the real thing. There is no car parking and reception were not interested in helping me find any. One pool was closed and the other not very clean although we never used it. The AC didn't work, hairdryers and TV remotes were not available from reception although it is advertised. The 'english' style breakfast was more continental than English and the evening food was not very enticing, we paid half board but decided to eat out every night. The coffee tasted like [--]. I needed internet but could not get connected on my laptop even though it is set up for frequent travel as this is part of my job. The only plus side is that we hired a car and spent most of the time out of the hotel. Stay here only if you can't afford anything else!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex H
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We stayed ay the alexandra Hotel in St.Julians.It's a nice cheap hotel with very friendly & helpfull staff. We paid only few euros per night and we even had a ful buffet bfast in the morning. Centraly located in the hearth of the entertainment centre, Paceville.
We even had a 5 star dinner at the Trattoria all'Angolo just next to the hotel with the best prices we found in st.Julians!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business