“Delicious burgers, even for vegetarians”
Review of Badass Burgers

Badass Burgers
Ranked #49 of 341 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2013

-(sorry for the **, TA seems to think I am adding swear words to my review and doesn't let me post it otherwise)-

Being a vegetarian, it's always a challenge to get a decent burger to satisfy my cravings.

Well, whether you're a vegetarian or not, Bada** Burgers is really the best place to go, especially considering it's conveniently located close to a very famous fast food burger chain and the quality is MUCH higher!

I am adding some picture to give you an idea, but the plate with a mix of dips (sweet potatoes, among others, my favourite!) was HUGE and we couldn't finish it, the veggie burger was the best I have ever had (and I have tried many :P) and the boyfriend's belly was also happy with his meat burger.

We will go again :)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I ended up very satisfied with the choice we made going to Badass Burgers. The burgers are great and huge for the price you pay. I would recommend to share the frites because the portions are quite big.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Giant burgers that often can be split between two people, especially if you get fries. The fries are my kind of perfect - thin, crispy on the edges, light fry. The BBQ sauce on The Daddy was really tasty. I even liked the 'nachos' though sometimes they need to melt the cheese a bit more.

The staff is great all four times we've been there. I have sat in the inside air conditioned area and the outside covered area with three sports tvs. One of our favorite places so far in Malta.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This joint started off as being Malta's first "gourmet burger" restaurant where the humble patty was taken seriously – with the price to match.
Each burger had its own name and its own personality – when you ordered a burger you would know it was yours because of the flag announcing its name atop the mass of meat and condiments. To the sides of Mount Burger – whether it was an Obama, The Daddy or a Maltese – you would have a generous accompaniment of salad and chips, which I sometimes had trouble wolfing down, usually having ordered an extra patty for my burger.

At €13, this was already expensive when Bad*ss opened (because apparently Tripadvisor won't accept the real name of this restaurant), and certainly more expensive than any other burger you would have on the island.

After developing a love-hate affair with New York Best, my girlfriend and myself decided to go back to Bad*ss to see whether it had maintained its reputation for the best burger on the island. We were greeted by staff who could not speak Maltese, who were nonetheless very courteous and did not mess up our order, which is good. I ordered a Daddy – which was priced at €1 cheaper than its original €13 – but which I had to order fries with (an extra €2, which is an increase of €1 over the already expensive price). My girlfriend opted for the spare ribs, which were good if a bit stringy in places. The ribs came with no garnish or sauce whatsoever, and were plonked in a small sideplate, as was the burger.

Thankfully, the burger itself was very good, and whoever was in the kitchen managed to tame the jalapenos into a very cohesive and palatally-pleasing combination. With the onion rings out of the way, I also managed to eat the burger the way burgers should be eaten, and that without any major spillage (which I had the fries to soak up, as a friend of mine told me it would serve as a sauce).

Still, at €14 for a burger, this was expensive, particularly when one considers the "gourmet" tag that comes with it. As an example – the plating – a feature which sets apart regular restaurants from more "gourmet" places, was actually worse than the standard this restaurant had set itself three years ago. The same goes for value – I should not expect a €12 burger to arrive without any chips, which are meant to be proverbially cheap.

It appears that somewhere along the way, the managers of this place have forgotten that it's still burgers they're dealing with – and hardly gourmet ones at that.

With all that said and done, I am salivating at the thought of yesterday's burger. It's not as bad as I make it sound, promise.

Matt M, Owner at Badass Burgers, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Firstly i would like to thank you for coming to Bad*ss Burgers.

In response to your comments about us adding 1euro to the price of our burger, i really don't think that this is so bad for a restaurant to put up the price by 1euro in 3 years considering the ever escalating cost of electricity and also the huge increase in the price of meat, even with this increase our profit margins overall have gone down. There are other establishment who claim to be Gourmet who I assure do not use the same standard of meat that we do and are priced exactly the same as us if not a bit pricier also when you compare our prices to overseas establishments who again do not have a homemade product we are cheap even though our costs are higher. We select the high quality cuts of meat ourselves, mince it and put the patties together all in house by our own butcher, compared to other establishments that either get the patties ready or buy the meat ready minced- this is how we guarantee the quality.
You also mentioned the burgers no longer come with fries (you noticed the price has gone down to reflect this) we did because with our new menu we now offer loads of different sides like sweet potato fries, corn on the corn & many others etc. thus giving the customer the option to tailor their dish exactly how they wish.
You gave our service score just 3 points yet you describe our staff as "very courteous and did not mess up the order" you mentioned they could not speak Maltese is this why you deducted 2 points? most establishments these days have foreign staff and we make sure that they all can at least speak good English, we would love them to be able to be fluent in all languages but that is not really feasible.
As far as the plating is concerned yes we tried something new and we got it wrong, we've been trying to rectify this by ordering different plates but our suppliers have let us down and 2 months later we are still waiting for them to arrive.
Being very passionate about my business and burgers in particular the part of your review i found upsetting is that you say that our burgers are "hardly gourmet" I have travelled round the world and tasted burgers from the best most established brands and never have i come across a brand that puts as much care and skilled preparation as we do into all our home made sauces and high quality ingredients, which is the very definition of Gourmet so i ask you what more could we do to earn the name Gourmet?

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Very nice place with very nice personell and very good Angus beef burgers.

Be aware the portions are hughe!