“Lovely setting, but....”

Meat & Co
Ranked #98 of 342 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Malta's first meat boutique. With the finest selection of beef, lamb, poultry, pork and fish steaks to choose from, the menu is marked by culinary innovation and whimsical creativity. Freshly prepared salads and pasta are also available for light lunches and dinners.
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Had heard this was a good place to eat and has a good setting. Was impressed as we walked in and greeted by lovely young man who showed us to our table by the window. The lighting is low and as we looked around, great view out of the windows over St Julians bay, but... then you look up and at each end of the room are huge TV screens..... football was on so luminous green shinning from each end of the room. Luckily no volume and actually nobody seemed to be watching, but it wasn't what I was expecting from a more up market restaurant.
Anyway the young man who showed us in was very helpful and we were served quickly and all came together. You can choose size of streak and two of us both had the smaller ones, which actually were more than enough and cooked how we liked. Puddings were good and presented well. Then we seemed to switch waiters and end up with a very sullen young girl and we had trouble trying to get the bill!
Would go again but have to check what sport is on first to make sure not a loud cheering crowd etc - world cup coming up??

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

The welcoming wasn't very welcoming and we had the impression that the waitress would rather have been somewhere else.

Food started out well with good bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Raising the expectations for the rest of the meal.

A meat platter of good quality was our starter and it increased our expectations.

But.. Then came the meat. Tasteless chicken, pink pork, badly cut meat served medium-well when we had asked for medium-rare and pork belly that was undercooked fat.

Took a long time to get the bill even though we were only one of maybe five tables seated.

Then a longer wait to pay, we gave up after 10-15 minutes and payed in the bar.

Not recommended.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

2 years ago we ate here and it was amazing

they squeezed me and my partner in on a busy Saturday night even though we had no booking the food was amazing but the service was a tad slow but it was a really busy night in the height of the season so this can be forgiven

having read recent reviews has this place changed hands?? im not sure why it is getting bad reviews the experience we had was great

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Well, had high expectations, wish I'd read the reviews here. My 35 euro large fillet was undercooked to my request and a very poor cut. For somewhere that specialises in meat it couldn't be more wrong. Did say it wasn't good. Did anyone care?? On the plus side my partners steak was good. Such a shame as setting was nice

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My parents were visiting and my dad loves a good steak, so my friend recommended I take them to Meat and Co. I loved the decor, the view and the staff were very nice indeed. The menu was pricey, but you expect it from a good quality steak house. I ordered my fillet steak medium rare, which is how it came, however the outside was burnt and tasted of charcoal. I also got about 5 chips on my plate which were cold and the peppercorn sauce that I ordered couldn't have been more than 3 teaspoons worth of sauce. We also had a good 10 minute wait from the time they brought out my mother's food to when the rest of the food came, resulting in hers getting cold. People always think I'm crazy when I say that the fillet steak at The Avenue restaurant in Paceville is the best I've ever had, but so far, it rates better than any of the 'high quality' steak houses in Malta including The Chop House as well.