“Cheap but rather bad”

Burlington Apartments
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I have stayed in Burlington Apartments for three nights in January 2011. These apartments a very cheap - this is thу only advantage. First of all, just before my arrival, the hotel has debited from my credit card 20 euros more than the total cost of my apartment. Happily I noticed this problem. They promised to return the money, and I hope they will do so. Next problem is that I had to collect the key from my apartment from another hotel - from St George Park. I did know about it, but it was a hard quest to find this hotel, it doesn't even have a sign.
Burlington Apartments doen't have any reception, the key is collected from another hotel, and when you leave you have leave a key in the room. For all my stay in Burlington Apartments i have never seen any staff.
The water pressure in the shower was extremely low, so I could hardly take a shower. For all three days I stayed here they didn't once clean my room.
And at last, the cockroaches in my room were the biggest I have ever seen in my life - about 4 or 5 centimetres at length.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank affmaster

Reviewed October 10, 2010

The hotel is located near the airport. Taxi costs 21 euro from the airport. There is a cafe next to the free WiFi, near the sea. The hotel is conveniently located for excursions to Malta. Near a bus stop. Buses in Malta go very well, on schedule, but work stopped in the early evening - count time. The room is large and a large bathroom. The room has a design and furnishings are simple, but fairly new. Furniture and beds comfortable. There is a fan. The room has a kitchen equipped with stove, fridge, kettle, sink, large working kitchen surfaces, pots, pans and utensils. Rooms have a good view of the sea on the top floor. Insects have not noticed. Staff indifferent, there is never a place, not answer the question, remove the bad. Flushing the toilet is very weak, almost absent, had to draw water in a bucket - it would be well-adjusted. No curtains in the bathroom. The hotel had problems with payment card - the hotel took the money from the card when booking a double. Upon arrival at the hotel to go, find an office there and get the keys to the room - a very great inconvenience in this regard! Clear where to go, look for the office after the flight and suitcase! A bit noisy - the hotel is in demand among young people due to budget. Quality-price ratio is normal. If you do not have many demands, the hotel is good and very cheap in the spring. I recommend to go to Malta in the spring (I was in the summer and spring) - a very good spring weather, not too hot, not enough tourists, hotel prices are low, all the flowers - very nice

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The Burlington is a nice block of apartments in an ideal location which offers privacy and great value. There is no reception so its basically like having you're own apartment abroad. The room gets fresh towels every other day and also toilet roll. It really bugs me when I read reviews that people leave complaining about everything. I bet they weren't complaining about the price. The rooms are basic but have everything you need along with a great sized balcony, you get a fridge freezer, mini oven and hobs etc. The bathroom is big with a bath and shower, what more do you need? On a sunny holiday like Malta you hardly spend any time in the room anyway so whats the problem?

The people leaving bad reviews are clearly looking for luxury at a budget price.. get real and book into the Hilton if you want 5*.

Also, I've stayed in a number of hotels in Malta, including The Europa, The Alfonso, The Regency Plaza and The Preluna and this was by far the best value and location.

Enjoy Malta! Chow.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

booked here for 2 rooms with 3 young kids the rooms were about a mile apart to begin with, we were greeted by about 10 bags of refuse in the so called lobby which by the way is about the same size as the average door step and the only exits off it are the stairs and 2 lifts. outside the lifts is a sign sayin 3 people only at a time the corridors and lifts reminded me of a run down block of flats that you could find in an inner city and the apartment was the same yea balcony in all rooms well the two we had none of them closed properly there was a 3 inch gap in both door ways so needless to say they didn`t lock. there was a dirty feel to the apartments 1 of the cases fell over on the floor when picked back up it was filthy full of dust and dirt. there are no pools here although you have full use of the ones in st georges park which is where we moved to yes we stayed for only 1 of the 7 nights in this dive the kids were terrified going back there and there was no hot water the next morning the place is a joke and when we went to complain where we collected are keys we were told that they HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT HOTEL THEY ONLY GIVE OUT KEYS!!!!! THIS IS ALL BULL NO-ONE GIVES A ???? ABOUT THIS doss house
however malta its self is a wonderfull place we ate and drank every night in huggins bar the staff are lovely cathy looked after the kids all week with free drinks she is brill the food here is fantastic and reasonably priced 5 of us ate for about 30 to 35 euro at the most. also the staff at anthonys where you can hire sunbeds were the same they thought the kids how to speak maltese. overall our holiday was great when we moved accomadation even though st julians would be better suited for a holiday without the kids!!!! great nightlife

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lisa c
Reviewed May 26, 2010

On arriving at this apartment block you think oh my!! at the front entrance there is an old glass fronted shop that has closed this does not help with first impressions.
However on reaching our room via the elevator ( there are 2) we were very pleasantly suprised. It was very spacious with seperate bathroom including bath. the kitchen area is just enough it had a full size fridge , baby belling cooker & hot plates, toaster,kettle all the useful pots pans cutlery etc. A large round table & chairs.
a double wardrobe, dressing table & mirror ,bedside cabinet, good sized comfortable twin beds. Full size wall mirror.
the bedding was clean & fresh.
The balcony had sliding double glazed doors ( no noise heard from outside) 2 patio chairs, small clothes line. the view from balcony is not great but posh apartments opposite had no balcony so we classed ourselves as very lucky.
The reception people are very nice and on hand daily.
If your room is not ready on arrival, you will be asked to collect keys from The George (behind the Blackbull Pub) great irish pub ,good food great portions,cheap drink great staff.
All in all if you like eating out and only want a room, you wont go wrong with this.....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2010

when we walked into the rooms it was like stepping back in time, the 70's era. rooms were very basic and in desparate need of repair and upgrading. our bathroom ceiling was boasting some lovely black mould and the plaster was crumbling off into the bath. our kitchenette had taps repaired with black tape. the toaster supplied, you would have not wanted to bare your bread to it. mattresses on the beds were .dirty and the springs in a bad state. floors needed a good scrub. i would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone. the only good thing going for it was the location, very central for everything.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2009

This hotel had amazing staff who greeted and even took us around the island to experience parts of Malta that some tourists miss out on. The locals made us very welcome.

The room was in good condition for what we paid for, we had everything we needed, very clean room and facilities, and a view of the sea from our balcony.

Prime location for clubbing or taking the bus into the town centre. I hope to go back at somepoint next year.

If i had to mark this place down for something it would be the noise we woke up to in the morning from the builders next door.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
#9 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
be.HOTEL
be.HOTEL
#13 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Burlington Apartments? Share your experiences!