“Short break at Le Meridien”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
ipswich
“Short break at Le Meridien”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I was uncertain when I booked this hotel after reading some of the Tripadvisor reviews, so I was pleasantly surprised on our arrival.
You could be put off by arriving at the main entrance which appears to be behind the main building on the 3rd floor but the reception is light and attractive and is manned by very welcoming staff.
Our room was on the 10th floor, had a sea view that overlooked the bay. The room was large and well equipped and had a king size bed.
Currently if you want to use the in-room tea or coffee facilities you have to ring reception to provide hot water as the kettles have been withdrawn. There can be a delay in this service.
We used room service for a late night snack which was promptly delivered and well presented.
There are 4 lifts (elevators)which are being replaced / refurbished and therefore the two that operational struggle to cope with peak-time capacity especially at weekend breakfast time.
The selection on offer for breakfast was varied and well presented and the waiting staff were attentive to our needs.
We had a meal in the 2nd floor dining area which did not match the 5 star rating of the hotel.
We were, overall, generally impressed and hope to return in the future

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive comments and ratings regarding your stay at our property.

The entire comment has been forwarded to the whole team with a particular reference to our Food and Beverage manager.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

Feel free to contact me directly by email (available on our official website) should have any further feedback.

Warm regards,

Guest Experience Ambassador

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mosta, Malta
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Valentine's dinner was fantastic
Beutiful room with a breathtaking view especially at night
good food , good service,
quiet area but not far from night life spots.
I have to agree with some comments re half of the lifts not working, but on the other hand, I understand that if maintenance needs to be done it has to be during the low season.

great offer on the whole

JM

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the whole team I thank you for the positive comments about your experience at our property.

As you accurately outlined we do have exceptional sea view rooms. Furthermore, our central location makes it easy for each guest to go around Malta and makes the most out of their trip.

All of us at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best regards,

Malta, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Everything went well in fact it was magical :) Food was amazing, set up and decorations were absolutely fantastic. My dream wedding came true :) An intimate wedding which was professionally prepared, special thanks to you and the amazing staff involved during my special day.

Dear Reviewer,

On behalf of the whole team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa, I congratulate you on your wedding.

I am delighted to read that we have exceeded your expectations on your special day. The entire comment has been forwarded to the whole team with a particular reference to our Events and Banqueting departments.

Once again, thank you and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at our property.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

i went to the hotel for me was a horrible experience to end up half of my stay Waiting for the lift ! everybody knows that during a day a tourist goes to breakfast goes to the gym goes to the spa goes to the pool goes to dinner , out etc if you count all these and spend 30 min waiting for the lift you will conclude in a damn waiting experience ! re staff is great , food ,tidy etc is one of d best . but staying in the 10th floor with a really slow lift and just 2 available .....

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Glenn G
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I would like to personally apologize for the issues that you have encountered during your stay at our property.

With regards to the lifts, please note that Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa has a total of four lifts. Since we do take our guests’ comments seriously we took the decision of renovating our lifts with the latest technology available. I do want to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that was caused because of this upgrade.

Should you have any further feedback, feel free to contact me directly via email (available on our official website)

Warm regards,

Malta
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

After booking a weekend break for Valentine's Day, I was disgusted with the overall lack of caring with most of the staff. The Good: The restaurant was an amazing experience, the selection of food was astounding and the service of the restaurant is what kept me from storming out of the hotel even though I paid for 2 nights.
The bad: the lifts were not working! Which meant that we had to climb 11 stories up and down every time we needed to go out of the hotel or to talk to reception. The wifi, even though it was paid for it apon arrival, needed a 30 euro deposit to use which doesn't make sense as it's not something you can take home with you, which is the reason one would need to make a deposit. When I asked the can put the deposit on the room and save me 11 flights of stairs to put money down, they just said "no".
Going to the spa was no picnic either as when I asked them for a robe they told me that I have to bring them down from my room, which meant 11 flights again. After pleading my "stairs" case they said there was nothing they can do. After storming and finding no slippers with the robes I went back down (gotta love those 11 storeys) and asked for slippers and told me "that I need to get them from the room"... At this point I was furious and they finally gave me slippers. I'm still staying here at the moment for one more night just because they breakfast is really good. Over all... Just a shame that no one really cares!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lloydhaber
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment with other fellow travelers.

First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of the whole team for not meeting your expectations.

With regards to the lifts, may I highlight that we are currently in the process of upgrading two out of the four lifts that we have onsite with the latest available technology in the hospitality industry. I do want to sincerely apologize that this has caused an inconvenience during your stay with us.

Regarding the internet, please accept my apology on behalf of the front office team for the miscommunication that you have encountered since a pre-authorization was required for the use of the internet in the room.

On other hand, I do want to show appreciation for the positive comments that you have provided us and other fellow travelers with regards to our Scirocco Restaurant, the quality of the food offered and our food & beverage service.

Once again I thank you for your review and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 15, 2014

In short: a disappointingly beautiful hotel let down by cold reception staff, erratic food service and a building site just next door.

We stayed over for one night after a Valentine's dinner. I opted for a room upgrade with wifi and seaview, and that turned out to be a mistake.

I could understand that actually getting to the room was challenging, because the lifts were being replaced an only two were in service. I could also live with the fact that there was no kettle in the room because they were being replaced due to safety reasons. But the cold, clinical manner in which we were processed on checking in was not really acceptable. I passed a comment about it, but I got absolutely no response.

The next morning it became obvious that our upgraded room was actually next door to a building site with the boom of a large crane literally meters away from the balcony and workmen below doing their thing. Unfortunately we could not use the balcony and enjoy the view, or even open the door because of the noise and dust.

Having breakfast at 9am also turned out to be an unfortunate choice, especially if you wanted cooked breakfast. For some reason anyone who wanted eggs had to wait while each guest got their serving cooked individually by one chef. Average waiting time was about 20-25 minutes. I am no expert at food and beverage management but it is pretty obvious that they got the logistics wrong on that one. A guest The waiting staff was friendly, but very obviously under pressure and lacking experience in some cases.

On checkout I told the receptionist that I wanted to complain about the unreasonable "room upgrade" and the poor service at breakfast, but the fellow was only interested in my credit card details. I had to repeat my complaint three times. In the end I asked him if he understood that I was making a formal complaint - at which point he called the duty manager.

At that point the damage was done and the duty manager could only apologise and promise that we would hear from them this week.

Room Tip: Beware of the construction site to the east of the hotel. Get a room as far away as possible !