“INTERNET SHOCKER”

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Sofia, Bulgaria
“INTERNET SHOCKER”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

stayed three nights for a business conference so cannot comment on prices; room (facing the back alley) was fantastic; bathroom was gorgeous with a walk-in shower (don't care for bathtubs although the bathroom did have one); the complementary mouthwash was a VERY nice/thoughtful touch (people often forget to pack it); breakfast buffet was excellent; view from the rooftop pool is unmissable; HOWEVER, the whole experience was somewhat tarnished by the fact that they asked me to pay if i wanted internet access in my room; SERIOUSLY??? is the goodwill lost due to this practice worth the measly couple of euros in extra revenue? i think not; management should rethink this policy; ALSO, since the whole of Malta has the wrong type of power sockets i think management should be prepared for guests to be asking for power adapters; they were not; i had to buy one to use during my stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

First and foremost allow me to apologize on behalf of the whole team about the issues that you encountered during your stay with us.

On the other hand, I would like to thank you for the positive feedback that you have provided to other fellow travelers regarding your experience at our property.

The review has been forwarded to the entire team.

Should you wish to provide me with further feedback, feel free to contact me via email (available on our official website).

With kindest regards,

Guest Experience Ambassador

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bruxelles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Let’s start with the summary of my detailed review that you will find below after around 40 nights at Le Meridien St. Julian:

Pros:
- The staff. From the front desk to the various restaurants and bars, including housekeeping and of course the spa staff, I really appreciate their kindness. It’s such a difference when everybody has a smile on their face and you feel welcome.
- The general atmosphere of the hotel. Some might dislike the design of some parts of it, but all in, it is a very nice looking place.
- The various in house possibilities: 3 restaurants, 2 bars, a stunning Spa, a roof top swimming pool with a great sea view, beauty and health/massage treatments, in house tourist agency, hair dresser (Ground floor/Level 0).
- The location: walking distance to almost everything you might need. 4 excellent restaurants situated from 2 minutes walking to maximum 5.
- The bus stop in front of the hotel that will take you to the hearth of St Julian/Paceville in one direction or to the biggest shopping mall, the nicest sunbathing spots, the ferries and Valetta in the other.
- The smoking lounge at the lobby bar (Kudeta). If it’s too cold on the huge terrace, you will really enjoy to be allowed to smoke inside and have a drink.

Cons:
- The pedestrian entrance is at level 0 (street) and is not very nice looking. It’s a pity as the main lobby/front desk is at level 3 and is very nice.
- The living room of the executive suite is not very cozy and the furniture is a bit outdated.
- The executive lounge: choice is quite restricted.
- The elevators: they are working on it but it’s not yet finished. Two brand new ones are almost active now (December). But the truth is it will take another couple of months to have all 4 of them running smoothly.
- The Room Service late night menu: 3 choices and not the best ones.
- The keycards: failing from time to time and more important you need two of them as for late night entrance at level zero the room and lounge card does not open the front door! It is Room and Lounge or Room and Front door…

Dates of stays:
Around 40 nights between November 2013 till January 9th, 2014

The Exterior:
It’s a large hotel and it takes a serious space of the left bank of Baluta Bay. Having said that, as the bay is full of large buildings, Le Meridien is quite discreet and nice looking viewed from the bay.

The Area:
Perfect!
At 0 minutes walking you’ll find bars and restaurants (like Wigi’s Kitchen) as well as spots to sunbath and swim in the sea. No sandy beach here but locals don’t care about that and go for a swim right in the bay. The banks are rocky and still offer a nice opportunity to chill out in the sun.
At 5 minutes walking, you’ll find more bars & restaurants but also a real supermarket featuring all the stuff you might want (Grocery, Sun block, make up stuff, wine, food …).
At 10 minutes walking you will be in the heart of St. Julian, or should I say Paceville, where the action is. If you’re looking for an unlimited choice of bars, clubs and restaurants, that is where you want to go in the evening. Warning though. Paceville is for party people only. It’s completely different from the rest of St Julian and is closer to a Pataya or LasVegas atmosphere.
In short: Le Meridien location is perfect.

The Interior:
Lovely. The place is truly feeling like a luxury hotel and very well decorated.
From the lobby to the the various corridors, bars and restaurants, there is nothing negative one could say about the interior of this hotel.
I especially like the lobby bar. It makes me think of Miami SoBe’s hotels, like the Delano, in less trendy and impressive though.

Check in:
For my first stay and night, I arranged a Taxi pick up from Le Meridien. They came at the airport with an AMG Mercedes for a couple of euros more than the famous eCabs which are Maltas best deal.
My friendly driver dropped me at the check in and the young, yet very professional, girl on duty checked me in in less than 5 minutes.
All other check in were as efficient as the first one.

The room:
My typical room was 1043. It’s an Executive Suite. I have been upgraded in many hotels, sometime the suites are just above an average “DeLuxe” larger room.
This time, my Executive Suite is the real deal as it is very large.
Here is what you get:
- a living room with a separated toilet (featuring a sink and toiletries), opening on a balcony with a table and two chairs. A coffee machine (with Illy espresso), tea is also available, a sofa, a large 42 Inch flat screen television on the wall in front of it, a dinner table for four, a relaxing chair. It’s large and comfortable but a little cold. The furniture isn’t that nice.
- a separated large bedroom with king sized bed, a working desk, another relaxing chair, a minibar, a second 42 Inch flat tv, and another balcony with the same table and chairs.
- In the bedroom, there is a reasonable space for clothes: a large closet and 2 sets of drawers.
- There is a second restroom separated from the bathroom.
- The view from the balconies is simply breath taking!

The Bathroom:
There is a single sink, toiletries including tooth brush, razor, comb, and the other usual stuff. Oh, yes, the soaps are probably the nicest one I had in a hotel. I love them. The bathroom is divided in two areas: the main one, with the sink and a special shaped bath, but no “Jacuzzi”.
The second area offers a standing shower which is mandatory for me.
A little disappointment though: there is no hand held shower, only a ceiling mounted one.

The Bed:
It’s quite ok, but, there is disturbing smell of vinegar from time to time (sheets) and a plastic protection for the matrass which makes you feel like a new born or a very old incontinent person ;-) Also, the matrass is very firm, which could be a problem for some of you. For me it was fine and after a couple of nights I was used to it and slept very well….once I got rid of the plastic protection.

Internet
During my first day, the Wifi was disconnecting itself several times. Mr. Spiteri, the Reservation Manager told me it was due to a power outage.
From day two, all was perfectly working again. Such issues can happen.
I got confirmation that it was a 90 Mbps connection. Also, since the fix on day two, I had to enter my room number only once per 24 hours, it simply connects when opening the browser. This is certainly the fastest Wifi I experienced so far by the way.

The Breakfast:
As mentioned, for platinum members and Executive guests, it’s happening in the so called Executive lounge.
Although it doesn’t really matter to me, as I’m staying for such a long term, I sincerely think that a couple on a romantic break would qualify it as “poor”.
The lounge breakfast is very limited and, if it is more than enough for a solo business traveler who needs to move forward asap, it is certainly disappointing for other travelers who would love to spend an hour choosing from a huge selection.
The “main” breakfast buffet at level 2 is absolutely brilliant. Of course, this one is an extra charge, but it makes sense to go for it if you want to share a nice time with your lady/man.

For Smokers:
Le Meridien offers smoking rooms. But, if you are staying between march and November, you don’t really need one as each room has a balcony. I personally like to enjoy a view and the fresh air to smoke with a glass of wine on a balcony rather than smoking inside my room.

There is a very nice smoking lounge at the KuDeTa bar. Once again, it’s cool to go outside one the huge terrace of the lobby bar and restaurant. But in case it’s too cold or raining, in front of the main bar you will find a smoking lounge. There are 4 different alcoves with sofas and comfortable armchairs. The atmosphere is almost like in a non smoking area. That said a non-smoker would probably not appreciate it, but for us, smokers, it is very nice and nowhere close those stupid cages in airports. This smoking lounge allows a great time, dinning or having drinks while smoking. It’s very relaxing with dimmed lights which make the place peaceful.

The Executive lounge:
Breakfast is held between 7 and 11 AM and as mentioned the choice is quite small.
Once breakfast is finished, at 11:00 AM, there is nothing available except water and coffee.
At 4:00PM, there is a choice of appetizers, wine, beers and soft drinks.
This ends at 7:00PM.

Room Service:
After 11 PM, I was told that only the Moonlight menu was available: a choice of a cheese platter, chicken wraps with salad and potatoes crisp and a chocolate cake. That’s it. It would be lovely to add some salads and burgers. From what I have been told, a wider choice will be available very soon.

House Keeping:
I enjoyed a great service here. Each day I came back to my room having the feeling it was the first time someone was using the room.
Whatever request I made was fulfilled in no time.
It’s also nice to have the same lady, Elenka, taking care of your room most of the time when you stay for so long.
The Illy Espresso were refilled every day and I had many courtesy bottles of water.
Also, the toiletries were in more than sufficient quantities and refilled every day. No need to beg for an extra refill.

Fitness center/Wellness/Spa:
This is a fantastic spot for chilling.
You will get a wide range of wellness treatments, a wonderful and peaceful indoor pool, a sauna & steam room, and a very nice fitness center I strongly recommend this spa! Thumbs up!

Roof Top Swimming pool, sun deck and bar:
This area is stunning. Of course, due to the season (inter) the bar is closed. But you can still gain access to the sun deck and the pool. For the record, there is no staff on duty. So bring your towels and enjoy the quiet atmosphere of off season on the roof top. Evene in winter you can get a lovely sun tan.

The Restaurants and bars:
During my previous stay I was more than happy with The Villa and the Kudeta.
I had lunch & dinner in Kudeta and the service was very nice. The food is good too and the choice is quite wide. I do recommend it. Please check my separate review.

The Villa is another close by restaurant but not operated by Le Meridien anymore. Please check my separate review.

Business center:
Who needs them these days anyway? Not a lot of us for sure as if you’re working you will have your laptop anyway.
But, if you’re looking for a true business center, well, this one isn’t going to make your day. It is located in the Executive Lounge in a tiny corner of the lounge. That said, you can print which is eventually the only reason we might need a business center.

Various:
Ice machines are available close to the elevators.
Cigarettes are available from a vending machine at the KuDeTa bar.

Check out:
As a Platinum Member, I can check out later that the majority. So, of course, it was quiet fast to do so.
I will only pin a stupid bank issue. On check in I always leave a deposit for extras. That is billed to my card. After my first stay, though the bill was paid with the same credit card, the deposit was still blocked on my card. It took 30 days to get it back which correspond to the maximum deposit term for the acquiring bank anyway. No need to say that Le Meridien never asked me for another deposit during my next stays !

My conclusion:
I’ve been considered like a very important guest since day one. And After spending all these nights at Le Meridian, I still feel like a special guest.
Like any other human being I can be disappointed not having enough Illy Coffee refils or not having enough cotton buds, but at the end of the day, what makes my stays in hotels is the staff.
On this topic, I can simply say that whoever took care of me and my demands were absolutely professionals and friendly.

Shall I go back? Oh yes, for sure.
Even if for now, I wouldn’t mind to spend time in another property…for a change 

All the best,
Stephane

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank StephaneBxl
Dear Reviewer,

Let me start by thanking you on behalf of the whole team for this detailed review and for outlining that you had a positive experience with us.

I would further like to show my appreciation for the constructive comment that you felt necessary to highlight. It is trough such feedback that we can continue to improve our offerings.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to show your appreciation and for your valued custom.

Warm regards,

Gharb, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

if you stay on a higher floor, you have the good views and on the balcony you feel as if you are walking on the street! The service is perfect, elevators are still a problem, but there is a very nice staircase to walk! Swimming pool is a great location, and also all the other facillities! A must go for a few days!

Room Tip: Sea view on the 9th or 10th level
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive feedback and ratings which were forwarded to the whole team.

I do want to personally apologize that our elevators have caused an inconvenience during your stay with us. We are currently in the process of renovating two out of the four lifts that we have at the property with the latest available technology in the hospitality industry to offer the best possible service to our valued guests.

Feel free to contact me directly by email (available on our official website) for further feedback.

All the team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa is looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Ascot, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We enjoyed a warm and welcoming stay here over the Christmas and New Year holiday. We had a Sea View with a balcony and as a Gold SPG member, access to the Executive Lounge. The staff, spa, breakfast and location were all excellent. There were little glitches along the way (as there always is with hotels) but the staff and Management quickly responded to them. We were made to feel at home and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Sea view with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other fellow travelers.

The positive review has been forwarded to the whole team. I am glad to read that our follow up was up to your satisfaction.

We all look forward to having you with us in the near future.

The entire team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa wishes you a wonderful 2014 filled with great love, good health and happiness.

Best regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Been to this hotel for a weekend break and can say that the experience was very nice! Special thanks go to Damian at the Scirocco restaurant and Jesmond at the lobby, who were both very professional buahhhhbibbut at the same time friendly and welcoming! The hotel is great and the food is suberb, especially at the lobby!!

Thanks for making our stay a weekend to remember :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive feedback and for mentioning members of our staff who contributed in making your experience a positive one.

I really do hope that we can all welcome you back to our property in the near future.

Best regards,

Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

If during high-season 110€ per night was a steal, how does 80€ during low-season for country-view room on the 7th floor sound? Answer: The bargain of the decade. Having rightfully lauded this hotel to the skies last time we visited in August 2013, I cannot but repeat that this Hotel boasts a few excellent items and many superb ones.

The Spa is one of the best on the island. The pool is not amongst the largest or deepest, and not allowing kids in the area from 10:00 till 18:00 is far from family-friendly, especially since most sub-8 year olds need to be asleep by 21:00 and that gives them only a couple of hours in the evening. But it does boast seriously heated water devoid of excessive chlorine, unlike that of another Hotel I reviewed last September which literally discoloured my wife's expensive bikini it reeked so much of the stuff. The whole area is quiet, beautifully-lit, cozy, inviting and a true haven of relaxation. It really tempts you into acquiring Spa treatments which I'm sure would only enhance the superb experience.

With regards to the Restaurant, having had more time to scrutinize certain details, I did notice the odd dark spot here and there. The nice touch of offering Red Leicester cheese with breakfast was somewhat ruined by the fact that it was far from fresh - unlike most other items surrounding it which shouted crispness and colour - in fact it had started curling round the ends and darkening - certainly uninviting and an utter pity. Ditto the 'fresh egg station'. There's a Chef totally dedicated to cooking eggs and that's something I really admired. But when my daughter chose an omelette and I saw him picking a mixture out of a large pot and pouring it in a pan I must say I was a bit disappointed. When my daughter failed to eat even half of it and tasted it I could understand why. It had a strange non-eggy taste and the texture was way too rubbery. Ditto the pancakes, which on our first day were an excellently executed confection, but on the second a bit tough. I reported all these (and a few other) incidents there and then to the smart, confident, very polite and nice restaurant manager who assured me he would pass my comments to the Chef.

While we are on the theme of personnel, again it seems like a mixed bag - most of it lives up to the Hotel's high standards, especially, I must say, the locals - on any level. The foreigners can either satisfy or disappoint - especially the receptionists. The (local) lady who took my call for the reservation was the last word in anything you can throw at a front-office person - efficient, soft-spoken yet pleasantly assertive and completed the booking in the blink of an eye without asking for too many details. The receptionist who checked us out, on the other hand, took no less than 15 minutes fidgeting with the customer who was checking out before me (making me lose precious time and ensuring I arrived late at the concert I was to attend later) and even had the nerve to ask me to stand aside the enormous desk because she was 'dealing with another customer', who apparently had gotten so bored waiting that he wandered off about the reception. I hear you ask where she was from...well, she was not local.

We also had the opportunity to witness some repairs going on. The already adequate elevators seemed to be undergoing a full overhaul, being converted to ultra-modern and superbly elegant units with top-to-bottom mirrors, ultra-bright modern lighting and audio-systems. The already converted half were in the process of being finished-off, while the other half were neatly stacked away behind full-height white partitioning. Maintenance personnel was no less polite than the waiting staff and not one single time inconsiderate or noisy.

The room was perhaps the only item I could find absolutely nothing to criticize - except for the toilet which lacks a sink (found in the separate bathroom which comprises a corner bath and separate shower) but includes an extra telephone - odd. Cleanliness was reminiscent of a sanitization ward, the colour-scheme mellow and relaxing, the TV a decent cable-equipped premium-brand 37-inch LCD, all the furniture sturdy and smooth, the beds firm, supportive and truly big and comfy, there is a clothes-iron complete with board, a kettle along with a variety of coffees, teas and sugars, top-quality soaps, shampoos and body-lotions...they have REALLY thought of everything and skimped on nothing. Energy-saving lamps coupled with motion sensors to switch off any accidentally left-on lighting make it a green institution - along with the chance to renounce to house-keeping and towel-changing.

I may have highlighted a few negative points here and there, but at the end of the day they did nothing to taint the superb reputation this Hotel has with me and my wife. It's still one of the best Hotels we've ever been to in the last 7 years, and is the perfect environment to relax. Its location is also a bonus. It stands in the heart of Malta's top entertainment sector - close enough to travel to on foot yet far enough to be completely oblivious of the racket such an industry inherently generates. Bottom-line: we would return in a blink!

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms are just a little bit more value compared to country-view. Kids HATE being sent out o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments about our property and for sharing your experience with other fellow travelers.

It is a pleasure reading such wonderful words about our members of staff and their dedication to provide the best possible service.

All the team is looking forward to welcoming you back at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

Should you have any special requirement for your next stay, feel free to contact me directly by email which is available on our official website.

With warmest regards,

Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We spent one week in this hotel around Christmas time. It was a bit bumpy start because hotel did not order a taxi for us and also instead of king size we got a twin bed room. We called the reception and they moved us to another room, which btw had much better sea view. In all fairness i need to say that we arrived early and it was nice that hotel provided us with room without waiting. The room facilities are of good condition, good quality of beds, linen and towels.

Location is excellent, a lot of restaurants and bars around, also a sight seeing tour bus stop is just 3 min walk from the hotel. We can recommend Barracuda and Padre Piccolo places for dinner, it is just 5 min walk, great sea view and nice food. By the hotel there is also a small brasserie which opens at 10.00 am and serves excellent breakfasts (around 8 Euro). It is much better than hotel breakfast for 17.50 Euro per person with nothing special.

Spa area is small with limited number of beds, so it may easily get crowded with no place to lay down and relax. Spa procedures are excellent because of very professional people working there.

Overall a nice stay with some small things to be prepared for: expensive and not very delicious breakfast, cleaning of rooms is till 17.00 so after city tour you may find your room not cleaned, busy spa, slow elevators, noise from the parties on the terrace .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taratuta
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment with other fellow travelers. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay at our property.

I do want to show my appreciation for the positive comments which were forwarded to the whole team.

As you accurately commented, our central location makes it easy for each guest to go around Malta and makes the most out of their trip, being on business or for leisure.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

Yours sincerely,

InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,788 reviews

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!