“Good rooms, service is a letdown.”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“Good rooms, service is a letdown.”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed in this hotel 6 nights on a training trip. I really wanted to give 4 or 5 stars to this property as it has everything it needs to make your stay pleasant but unfortunately my experience was marred by an issue with the front desk and the long wait for the always packed lifts.
Let's start with the check in which was profesional and quick although the young clerck who checked me in when asked if the internet was included said it wasn't forgetting to mention the free 4 MB one. This wouldn't have been a big issue if he hadn't pretend later to give it to me for free as a way to apology for the lifts (slow and always packed). In the hotel clearly know that the lifts are the main complaint they face on check out and the guy obviously tried to be smart avoiding from the beginning an easy complaint. I don't really know what they think in there, I only had to ask another receptionist to find out the 4mb internet was free anyway.

On the 4th or 5th night, I do not remember now, I had a problem with the free internet and BY MISTAKE I pressed on my smart phone the option which is chargeable. After 10 minutes I went down the receptionist to let them know I did not meant to use the three day internet and asked if everything was charged on the bill if they could have taken it off as it was clear that it was a mistake. I spoke to them straightaway beacause I knew that you cannot complain after three days and saying: "Well I have been using internet for three days but I did not mean to". The lady at the reception said nothing was on the bill so I thought that the chargeable internet was not activated and nothing was going to be charged and I could keep on using the free one.
Well on check out I clearly see the internet was charged, I asked for an explanation first to the receptionist then the duty manager Mr. Spiteri who gave me his business card saying that they had to investigate the matter and he would have personally asked IT to investigate the matter.
Well obviously it was not enough to say I raised the matter of the internet rightaway with the reception team who failed to keep record of the situation. Internet was charged anyway and althought I thought unfair I paid anyway and left the hotel waiting for the next few days at least a quick email to follow up from Mr Spitteri.
Except that, rooms are good and alway spotlessy clean and tidy ( Thumbs up for the housekeeping staff). breakfast was ok, staff was always ready to help. Same for the restaurant on the main floor, all good and professional. The facilities of the hotel are good even if they have to fix quickly the other two lifts as two lifts for this kind of property are not enough and are a cause of complaint and distress for guests.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dg862013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swieqi, Malta
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The closely knit team at Le Meridien are highly responsive to client's needs - flexible and ready to go the extra mile to ensure full client satisfaction in the organisation of meetings, conferences and functions in general. It is always a pleasure to work with any of the team as thier organisational communication and planning skills are first class. Very importantly their office is situated at the heart of the hub where most of the functions are held. Elyse, Cristina, Gilbert and thier latest excellent acquisition to the team, Charles, amongst others, leave no stone unturned to ensure people leave Le Meridien with a smile on their face. Well Done.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My wife and I took, what was meant to be a short visit to Malta where she had been stationed many years before as a Royal Navy WRNS. Within 24 hours I developed a severe flu which was presumably contracted in previous days in Italy. The Hotel staff arranged for me to be taken to St James Hospital (also excellent) where I remained for 4 days. On discharge I was unable to fly for some days. During my stay in hospital my wife was extended every assistance by all staff and special mention needs to be made of the front desk personnel, of the Concierge and his team and also of the Ku-de-ta bar staff who were kindness personified. On my discharge from hospital and up to our delayed departure I also experienced the same kindness from the same staff. I do not recommend becoming ill whilst on holiday but if you do I cannot conceive of a more caring hotel environment in which to do so. We would like our appreciation to be passed on to all of those of whom we have such affectionate memories. Le Meridien should be proud of them. For what I hope are obvious reasons I omitted any review of the Spa.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed December 5, 2013

we were in 3 and at the Concierge Desk the gentleman was very friendly. Check in was fantastique! Superb! our room was on the 10 floor and sea view. >But sorry to tell you this, what about the elevators? a five stars hotel with 2 elevators? le petit d. was disgusting...no fresh fruit, many bread and petit croissants...the jam was horrible! c'est ne pas possible dans le meridien! the buffet,VOILA! you cannot eat everyday the same food with different names! sorry but i don't understand why you get that name, very important for us! Le meridien is a guarantee and we lost money,time! very bad the restaurants,slow service...they are under staff??? Oui! 5 stars are only concierge et la reception! THANK YOU mariu, kaza, anastas et ian dan le bar au le 3. no more in this hotel!!!!! better a B&B for quality!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Malta, Austria
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I organized the Christmas staff part at the Scirocco restaurant at le meridian St Julians. Great food and ambience and very cordial staff. Also would like to thank the event sales coordinator who was very efficient. It was fun,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Julian's, Malta
Reviewed December 4, 2013

With the help of Cristina Dimech, an event sales coordinator at Le Meridien, I was able to do the best graduation party ever. The staff was really helpful, listened to my wants, provided the best food on the island and it was a magnificent night.

I am really greatful that I have organized the Surprise party at Le Meridien.

Room Tip: Since it was a party, i cannot say about sleep quality, rooms and spa, but i am sure that they will...