“Not a five star hotel”

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Dhahran
“Not a five star hotel”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I am actually here now (October 10-16 2013). This hotel does two things well. First breakfast and then the indoor pool area. However, I have kids and the indoor pool area does not allow children from 12-6pm due to spa services. So, that was a let down. The TV channels offered are only news and sports so we had a hard time getting ready without a cartoon channel to keep them occupied. You have to pay for in room wifi which seems like a ripoff to me but we paid. Sure, it's free in public areas but again, with kids you can't just stroll down to the lobby as freely as someone without kids. The view is nice but the room decor is cold and basic. My experience in 5 Star hotels thus far surpass Le Meridien by far. I wish I would have booked half my time here and the other half at the Kempenski on Gozo! If you have kids I would not recommend this hotel if you don't I would say try it if you must.

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view and above 6th floor so your not looking at rooftops.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Loodee14, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations.

Indeed, it is true that our Spa area extends a restricted access to children: we strive to meet our guests satisfaction and we have many customers who select our hotel for its reputed Spa services. With this in mind, we have the obligation to maintain a relaxing and quiet atmosphere within our Spa facilities, which explains the situation you mentioned. We try our best to satisfy all of our guests' needs, which is also the reason why we do allow access to families at certain hours of the day. We do apologize if this was not to your convenience but I do sincerely hope that you were rightly informed prior to confirming your booking. The information is available on our official website. Please do feel free to let us know if you believe that this is not clear enough and we will certainly review our descriptive content to further highlight this fact.

Also kindly note that WIFI is free in most of our room types. This is also indicated in the room section of our website. The only exception is our lower room categories (Classic/Superior), which are also priced at a lower rate to allow a wider range of offerings to those of our clients who wish to travel on a tighter budget. Again if this was not the case for your particular booking, I kindly invite you to contact me at your earliest convenience (my email address is available on our official website) to clarify the situation and possibly make up for any misunderstanding or shortcoming from our end.

I also regret to read that our TV channel choice was not to your satisfaction. We offer 26 different channels in various languages at no charge and a further vast selection of block-buster movies is on offer, including animation and family movies. We will certainly take your comments into consideration to try and further enhance our selection in the near future.

I am also saddened to read to our hotel's style and design was not to your liking. Our property boast a contemporary feel, created by reputed designers who focused on creating intimate areas within open spaces. The decoration and soft furnishings aim at keeping a clean, modern and fresh atmosphere throughout our premises.

This being said, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time and for your valued custom. Should you wish to reach out to me personally to further discuss your experience with us, it would be indeed a great pleasure for me to hear your feed-back: our guests' constructive comments are extremely important to us as it allow us to keep a dynamic approach of permanent improvement with our 5 star services and product,

With my best regards,

Franco Vella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I called to reserve a suite 4 months ago and never received any type of confirmation emails and therefore assumed booking had not been processed. I never did holiday in malta yet I received my credit card statement with the full amount £££££ of the non existent booking taken from my account. I called and the reservation supervisor and manager were not only unsympathetic but snobby and uncaring when I said I never got confirmation. They sent me the invoice with the words "have a nice stay", needlessly say this disgusted me. Basic courtesy out of the window and not even a credit for another stay!! I would get better more sympathetic treatment from a hostel. Luckily we stayed in the fantastic Ulysses apartment in Xlendi for £40 a night for 4 people in beautiful xlendi so I had great memories of Gozo - not so of the Le Meridien

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Abi W
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013

After the long journey from fife to malta we were looking forward to our arrival at Le Meridien. We were greeted by a girl more interested in getting a credit card number from us. We were allocated room 902 which was a good standard. One dressing gown no slippers and balcony light did not work. The electronic minibar facility is a farce. The mini fridge if you want to stock yourself is 5 euro per day. Lets move on to breakfast. Service terrible.Take your pick from lukewarm scrambled egg...beans...sausages....And never seen a mushroom all week. Finally to ask people to wait in a queue for a fried egg is laughable. Far better choice of breakfasts back home in asda or morrisons. Finally dont trust the safe in your room be warned. My wife was unfortunate to break her wrist on our stay the hotels only concern was to phone for ambulance and make sure it did not happen in there premises.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigfifecraig
Dear Sir,

First and foremost, please allow me to share my most sincere sympathy for the unfortunate incident that you wife suffered during your vacation : on behalf of the entire team, we certainly wish her a fast recovery. On this note, I would like to underline the fact that it is indeed important for us to enquire whether or not the accident happened in our premises for reporting and insurance purposes – and this for the well-being and follow-up provided to our hotel guests too. Of course, our associates and managers are strongly encouraged to request for an ambulance when such scenarios occur: we certainly don't want to leave anything to chance when it concerns our guests' health and safety.

I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify a few other points with you. Our guests at breakfast may encounter a brief wait for the eggs, simply because we offer a live cooking station with a dedicated chef preparing eggs in front of your eyes and based on your personal preferences. This of course guarantees the freshness of the recipe and provides a personalised service to our guests. Also, as you mention yourself, the cooling unit in our guest rooms is « an electronic minibar » and not a fridge. Our refreshment units are fully stocked with a beverage selection that guests may choose to purchase if they want to: when a drink or any other item is removed from the minibar, it is automatically posted on our guest's hotel bill. Prices are on display and guests who wish to have the minibar emptied and deactivated for another personal use despite the system in place are indeed asked for a daily service charge. We understand that guests may need this cooling unit for other purposes in special circumstances but we cannot diverge from the original use of our refreshment centers for each and every room as it would not be operationally feasible. We apologize for the inconvenience caused but we do hope that you now understand better the nature of our minibar offering in all our guest rooms.

As for the greeting received at Front Office, I would like to confirm that all guests checking in are asked for a credit card authorization, as a guarantee for their stay and in order to be able to post consumptions on their hotel bill – as opposed to having to pay in cash each and every single time. This is an active and mandatory practice in all Starwood hotels around the world and in most other large hotel chains and we unfortunately cannot make any exception. This being said, it shouldn't alter the quality and the friendliness of the welcome provided. In this regard, I would like to invite you to contact me personally (my email address is available on our official website) in order to allow me to better understand the shortcomings you felt necessary to highlight and therefore take immediate actions if necessary.

I would also appreciate further feed-back on the mention of our in-room safe: indeed, once our guests have set it up for their own use, no one else can open it – which explains my surprise. Please feel free to send me your additional comments as it would certainly help us in our strive for permanent improvement of our services,

I am truly sorry to hear about your disappointment and I am looking forward to hearing from you, as to be able to find immediate and relevant solutions to any issue you may have faced,

With my kindest regards,
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel showed potential to perform to its 5 star rating but disappointed as it was let down by inconsistent service which varied from day to day and was well below its rating on many occasions.

The room – On arrival there was no bath mat, the balcony light didn’t work and neither did the hair dryer. These were reported to reception together with a request for slippers. We were given the bath mat but had to request again on the next day before the other items were done. We expect free Wifi in the room and to be able to use the fridge for our own items free of charge but were told that this would cost 5 euros a day. We have had both these items free in much cheaper hotels. The servicing of the room was to a good standard but the timing was bad. It was hardly ever serviced before noon and on some days was late into the afternoon making it difficult to take a siesta. There was some mould in the bathroom and the bath panel didn’t seem to be fitted properly. It was a double room but there was only one arm chair. There appeared to be a mattress protector immediately below the bed sheet that made the bed hot.

The corridor outside the room was very hot as was the area around the lifts. The lifts did not always work and there were long waits at some times of day.

The quality and quantity of food at breakfast was good and most staff were efficient but there were problems. Staff did not always seem to know where the vacant tables were - on one occasion we first followed them to one end of the restaurant and then to the other. The coffee was weak and the only decaf was instant – one doesn’t expect to pay extra for speciality coffee such as espresso – again this has been free in other cheaper hotels. One day we had to wait at least 15 minutes before being served coffee and this was only after asking many times. There was no freshly squeezed orange juice. Some days there were long waits at the egg cooking station – up to 15 minutes. Choice of food was variable - Some days there were no brown bread rolls or smoked salmon and the fresh fruit salad consisted of melon and grapes only.

There was a charge on our bill that wasn’t ours although this was removed as soon as we pointed it out.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

Thank you for your detailed review. Let me start by saying that I sincerely regret that your stay with us was not up to your expectations but please do allow me to clarify a few points with you.

Kindly note that the cooling unit in the room is not a fridge but a minibar, fully stocked with a great selection of beverages on offer for our guests who wish to purchase refreshments in the comfort of their own room. This minibar has an electronic sensor: when guests remove an item, it is directly posted on their room bill. Whilst we understand that guests may wish to use this small cooling unit for their own use in particular circumstances, a request for emptying and de-activating the minibar will trigger indeed a daily charge. We unfortunately cannot abide to making this a common practice as it is not feasible operationally. Although I understand that this doesn't ease your frustration, we do hope that it does clarify the situation and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Regarding the servicing of your room, our housekeeping department operates daily and this until 5pm: we can't unfortunately complete the cleaning of 276 rooms and suites before noon every day but we commit into thorough cleaning and this daily. There is a «do not disturb sign» available in all rooms, should you wish to avail yourself of a well-deserved afternoon nap. We do use mattress protectors indeed, to ensure high hygienic bedding levels to all our customers. With regards to WIFI, this service is free of charge in most of our room types. Those room types are indicated on our website.

I am sorry to hear that the wait at our live cooking stations was of an inconvenience to you: we have indeed opted for a personalised service whereby our chef can prepare eggs in front of our guests' eyes and up to their preferences. It is usually a service that is very much appreciated by our clientele, but I am truly sorry to read that this was not to your liking. Yes, you are very right in saying that the choice of food in our restaurant varies: it does so every day, since we present a wide offering of varied themed nights with different menus every time. This means that you will not always find the same items from one day to the next and I deeply regret if this formula meant that you didn't find your favourite items every day. With regards to your constructive comments about the coffee served at breakfast, I would like to point out that we work with a prestigious coffee partner (Illy coffee) and that we strive to a top-notch coffee culture in all the outlets of our hotel.

This being said, allow me to apologize for the missing items in your room and for the erroneous charge on your bill: as I understand, this was promptly rectified but you are right in saying that it shouldn’t have happened in the first place. We have taken good note of the mishaps you felt necessary to highlight. We are investigating and measures to rectify any shortcomings will be taken in a timely manner with the appropriate departments.

Should you wish to further discuss your experience with us, I kindly invite you to contact me directly (email address on official website): this would certainly help us understand better the reasons for your disappointment and would allow us to take the most appropriate actions for improvement,

Thank you for your time and for your valued custom,

Kind Regards,
Holt
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A fabulous hotel, beautifully appointed, with an efficient, courteous and friendly staff team (even at 0445 hrs, the time of our arrival after a delayed flight !). Our room (balcony with valley view with sea clearly visible over the palm trees) was very comfortable and well maintained. The very spacious accessible bathroom was well equipped for both my friend who is disabled and myself - walk-in shower with wall-mounted 'drop-down' seat, appropriate height loo, rails, wash basin etc for her - large corner bath for me - after using these we enjoyed luxuriating in the lovely white towelling robes ! The contents of the fridge were rather expensive but bottles of water were delivered to our room free of charge each afternoon.
Food was delicious - served buffet style + We quickly discovered the cask of sparkling wine so each morning began with bucks fizz. Then on to breakfast - a wide choice of fruits, cereals, meats, cheese, fish, breads and Maltese pastries plus chefs on hand to prepare traditional 'cooked breakfasts' or make mini donuts, waffles etc. Pre-dinner drinks (cocktails magnificent) were enjoyed on a balcony overlooking the bay. Dinner menus were themed (changing daily over a seven day period) - buffet style with an excellent choice, again with cheerful and friendly chefs who clearly took pride in and enjoyed creating dishes to order. Perhaps it was good that after thoroughly indulging ourselves our last night coincided with a Health Eating theme - don't be put off, the choice was as varied as on previous nights and the dishes delicious ! My normally non-wine drinking friend acquired a taste for and enjoyed, as I did, the local Chardonnay (Montechristo) - sadly we learnt not obtainable elsewhere.
We didn't use the outdoor (roof top) pool but did enjoy drinks and lunch on the roof garden. To use the indoor pool one felt as if one had to 'jump through hoops' to register at the pool's reception desk and 'sign in' again in the gym to obtain a locker key - however it was a small price to pay (figure of speech, no charge !) for using such a luxurious pool. My friend did not swim but I did notice there was a hoist/chair to enable people with disabilities to access the pool.
We hired a car delivered to the hotel (at an additional cost but well worth it as we would have had difficulty in finding our way from the airport to the hotel, especially in the dark - not sure we would have been much more successful driving back to the airport at the end of our stay !) We didn't find our map and the road signs particularly helpful but we did find our way (after a few u-turns) to Mdina/Rabat, Valetta and to the Craft Village at Ta' Qali - all well worth visiting. The Concierge (what a wonderful team of friendly helpful people) issued us with a permit to allow us to park right opposite the hotel (rather than in the underground car park) which made life much simpler for my friend. Incidentally there is a 'disabled-sign' button by the revolving doors at the main entrance - activation of this results in the door revolving at a slower speed. Although there are other doors my friend loves to do 'normal' and we can say from experience that activating the button to slow things down does prevent crutches getting stuck under the door !!!

So all in all - wonderful hotel, wonderful staff, wonderful memories ... and we hope to go back in 2014 !

Room Tip: Imagine choice/location of accessible rooms limited - ours had balcony with valley view which was f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

I am really pleased to read that you and your friend had a very enjoyable stay with us. I am glad to know that your room and other hotel facilities were to your convenience.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feed-back with other travelers. I am also very grateful for your nice words about our associates: I have shared your kind comments with them.

Should you wish to visit us again in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or to our reservation department directly: our email addresses are available on our official website,

Thank you once again for both your valued custom and for your positive ratings of our property,

With best regards,
Belfast
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I do not go on holiday to pick holes in things but my experience of this hotel was just simply awful.

On arrival on 5th Oct for a 3 night stay was allocated a room with a king sized bed when had requested a twin room. Had to wait while a second bed was made up.

On first night with the air con switched off (room 703 - couldn't sleep because of all the hissing, vibrating and humming of the air con system. Asked 3 times next day for house service to fix (last time before going out for the night) and was told it would be sorted. On return from evening meal late at night, the thing was as bad as ever. Phoned reception who gave me another room (404). As this was a double and it was late, I moved whilst my colleague stayed in 703 to keep separate beds

Room 404 was even worse!! louder plant vibrating noise, gurgling, hissing and just awful. Hotel full so had to suffer but again no sleep.

Next day - in Zombie mode, complained at reception (10 am) and was told I'd be moved again but there wasn't a room ready. Left to move cases on our own from 703 down to 404 whilst this was to be sorted. No problem, went into Valetta and on return at 5 still no room ready. Didn't get into a room until 7:30pm which thankfully was nice and quiet

It is a basic of any hotel to be able to offer it's guests a good night sleep. This really ruined my holiday - a short break I'd been looking forward to. I really like the Maltese people but the staff here were not helpful and no-one ever said sorry or seemed sympathetic - felt like I was being a nuisance. The noisy rooms were torture and my trip was ruined as physically exhausted

Whilst the hotel has other nice facilities - there is no way I can recommend it

I travel extensively with work and on holidays and this is only the second time I've ever been moved to write about a hotel - it was that bad

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank mewwm
Dear guest,

I read your review with great attention and I am truly saddened that we provided you with such a poor impression of our 5 star services. I do understand your frustration and I do apologize, on behalf of our entire team, for having failed at meeting your expectations. I am taking your comments extremely seriously: thank you for sharing room numbers in your review. It will allow me to tackle this in the most efficient manner with our maintenance department.

May I kindly invite you to contact me personally (my email address is available on our official website): I would indeed appreciate further details and feed-back. This would also allow me to discuss with you on how we can possibly make up for your disappointing experience. In the meantime, I will myself try to reach out to you as well, based on the information provided in your review.

Looking forward to being in touch,

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We arrived early hours from UK, when we checked in we were greeted with no fuss and escorted to our very comfortable room and fast asleep with minutes, we awoke and opened our patio doors to a wonderful view across St Julian's bay, they catered very well for the full English breakfast or continental if you desired from 6:30 - 10:30 which gave us ample time to decide on our day's activities, over all I would recommend this clean hotel, the staff were very kind and helpful at all times, the spa area including sauna, steam room, and large in door pool were brilliant.

Room Tip: Be aware that people are in and out 24/7 and some noise to a minimal degree can travel to your room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Loodee14, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear guests,

I am glad to read that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and that we somehow manage to make up for the added stress of night-time traveling. I am very grateful for your kind comments and for your recommendations: I have shared your feed-back with our entire team.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, should you ever wish to do so.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience with other travelers and thank you to have selected our hotel for your vacation,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!