First of all let me say that the location of the hotel was excellent, and for that reason alone I would consider checking in. But if it it luxury you are looking for, this hotel was sadly lacking.
Front desk staff were helpful in allowing us to check in early as we had a very early morning flight and were tired from travelling and arranged for our luggage to be sent up. The room smelt of damp, which was particularly strong in the bathroom, perhaps due to a drainage problem, and also the view on the balcony was of a car park and crane! So we decided to go back to reception and ask about upgrading to a sea view room, which was a reasonable extra 20euros a night.
Staff were helpful in getting our luggage moved, and as the room was not yet ready allowed us to shower and freshen up in the original room given to us - which we thought was great service.
New room was lovely with magnificent views of Balluta Bay and the church, perfect as during our first two nights there we were able to watch a magnificent fireworks, as part of a local fiesta, from our balcony. The front desk member who showed us the room was great in telling us about the local area and advising us about when to go to certain places to avoid crowds. All seemed well.
Quiet location with great local bus links to every part of the island (use cheap, local Arriva buses who serve all the same places as the tourist bus but at a fraction of the cost). You can pick up the local bus tourist leaflet with all the routes at the information centre or at main bus stations eg in Valletta. I was surprised that the concierge failed to mention the local buses as a way of transport to us, only handing us a tourist bus leaflet or suggesting we hire a car.
So why three stars? For the 5 star claim, and price we paid, this certainly wasn't on par with other 5 star hotels. But it could so easily be if it didn't fall down on such basic, simple things you expect as standard of even a 3 star hotel!
Housekeeping wasn't great - the cups/mugs wouldn't always be replaced/washed, milk and tea bags not always replaced, the free bottle of mineral water left in rooms each day would be sporadic, one day it would be left the next forgotten (although when I did point this out on our last day, the service desk sent one up within 20 minutes), we saw the same large piece of dust in the middle of the floor for four days, so I have to assume it wasn't always hoovered/moped! Such basic things you would expect of a luxury hotel. 5 star touches such a card to tell you the next day's weather or even simply replacing bathroom products everyday are so easy, but unfortunately lacking.
Also one day we signed up to their 'make a greener choice' plea, which stated that to be greener we wouldn't mind if our linens or towels weren't changed the next day. But what we didn't realise is that this would mean no housekeeping at all! Someone came in to leave us water (hurrah! They remembered), but the bed was left unmade and the overflowing rubbish at the bin wasn't even removed. This would have taken all of two minutes! So in our opinion, it wasn't so much a greener choice, which would be about not running the washing machine every day for every room, but about having one less room to clean for the hotel! And for the poxy five euro discount it gives you at certain restaurants, or extra points, it really isn't worth it! Having a clean room is worth more than that! These are the things which prevent it from being a luxury hotel.
And the automatic fridges in rooms are just a bad idea! You get charged for even picking something up. One shelf at least should be left clear so you can at least refrigerate water in such hot weather.
And the lifts - which all hotel guests we met complained about - were so painfully slow and there just wasn't enough of them for a hotel of this size!! Give yourself ten minutes extra whenever you want to go anywhere especially during busy times like breakfast or lunchtimes as they would be so frightfully slow and packed!!!
The spa area was nice, but the changing rooms themselves awful! No products like you'd expect of a luxury hotel, unwelcoming looking showers, soaking wet floors which weren't regularly moped - this all let the spa area down! We preferred to go back to our room to shower after swimming! Much cleaner and nice! The pool on the top floor was nice, too, but small and it gets very busy so we preferred the indoor one on the third floor.
Another gripe was we were signed up to the SPG rewards club without asking to do so on check in (which we only found out when we asked to join!), and charged a UNICEF donation of a few euros without ever agreeing to it which we noticed upon check out. We paid the donation anyway as I really didn't want to cause a scene about a few euros, and the money was for charity, but it is the principle of the matter! You should have a choice!
When we enquired about booking dinner at a local restaurant one evening, the front desk member said we would have to wait until 8am the next day as the concierge finished at 8pm. We were going on an early morning trip so were leaving the hotel before 8! The staff member could easily have made a quick phone call to help us out- as you'd expect in a luxury hotel! In the end we used the wifi in the lobby to book it online ourselves.
I have to say though, one positive, was that I was sent a lovely birthday cake up to the room - which was very thoughtful. This is why i found the hotel so frustrating - good on so many levels such as the thoughtful cake, but unfortunately frustratingly lacking on basics (such as asking if we'd had a pleasant stay upon check out!). If we didn't have the magnificent sea view, I think we would've found it a lot more frustrating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa in Malta is located within the bustling, cosmopolitan neighbourhood of St. Julians, offering plenty of entertainment and tranquility located along the seafront promenade. Enjoying excellent views, our hotel is an architectural gem, offering elegance with the relaxed feel luxury, boutique hotel in the Mediterranean. Enjoy international cuisine, accompanied by a refined selection of world wines, and take your coffee al fresco on the splendid terrace. Awaken your senses at the MyoKa spa and float in our tropical indoor pool where you will be revived by aromatherapy secrets from around the world Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa offers a relaxing ambiance for business travelers, families and couples. On the first floor of the premises, the meeting planner will discover a practical and modern background for their project, with an entire floor dedicated to business events. Free WIFI in the guest rooms as well as the public areas, indoor and outdoor pools (weather permitting)and 24h Guest service available via telephone and whatsapp/blackberry messenger. Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa is part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Le Meridien St. Julians reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Meridien St Julians
- Le Meridien Malta
- Le Meridien Saint Julian's
- Saint Julian's Le Meridien
- Le Meridien St. Julians Malta