“Best location in Malta - great hotel!”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I have been to Malta several times and can honestly say that this hotel has the best location on the island. It's close to the St. Julians bay with restaurants, bars a short walk away and with lovely views over the harbour with beautiful colourful Maltese boats.

The hotel offers large spacious rooms, great indoor pool, smaller but perfectly formed outdoor pool on the terrace and fantastic staff who made us feel very welcome.

Hotel restaurants and food options are top notch and I would highly recommend to try the Alfresco dining on the roof terrace offering magical views at sunset.

Thanks for the great holiday!
Monika

Room Tip: Book the Sea view room to enjoy the beautiful sunsets over the St. Julians' bay
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have recently been at this hotel and I will definitely visit again. The stay has again exceeded my expectations.The room is very spacious and luxurious enjoying a superb view. Very good food and great spa facilities. The staff are very friendly and welcome. A big thanks for this wonderful stay goes out to Mario (concierge) and Kasia (front office) for their great team work.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in an Executive Suite for 2 nights.

Good:
Nice location
Great views from upper seaside rooms
Nice rooftop pool and sun terrace
Smooth check-in process, only took a couple of minutes.

Bad:
Executive Lounge has NO food or drink WHATSOEVER except for a few hours in the morning, when a limited buffet breakfast is available, and a few hours in the afternoon, where they serve drinks and one fixed snack (no real food, and nothing for my girlfriend, who is allergic to milk). Rest of time it's just a TV room. Definitely not worth the extra!
Beds are hard as a rock - not 5*, I've stayed at 3* hotels with better bedding.
Rooms are very spartan, with dated interior - not cosy at all, and horrible design (eg doors knock into each other, you can't stand in the shower without getting wet, so you have to stand outside the shower when you turn it on, the shampoo is not placed within reach of the shower or the bath, so you have to go fetch it before you get in, etc). Again more like 3*
Room service has only 1 snack plus 1 desert on the menu efter 10pm, but they couldn't even deliver that. "No, we don't have any food whatsoever". And no apology.
First drink on the cocktail list is a Mojito, but they couldn't make one ("Sorry, we can't make a Mojito today"). Next cocktail on the list - same thing! No sparkling wine whatsoever available by the pool. This is a 5* hotel? Hardly.
At checkout I placed my credit card on the counter, which she took, and then asked for my credit card. I explained that she just took it, she said she didn't. I insisted, we went back and forth several times. Finally she went through the drawers behind the counter and found my card. She did at least apologize.

If you are looking for a 5* luxury hotel, then you will have to look elsewhere. Next time I will try the Hilton.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for Executive room, and DEFINITELY not for Executive Suite - it's not worth...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hyslopc
Reviewed May 18, 2013

First the main (and only) positive thing about my room is that it was really, really spacious! With a huge and comfortable bed and large TV. The bathroom was also great and spacious with a nice deep tub, not like other hotels. Breakfast was generous with a great variety, and the dining room staff was really attentive and nice! However I still have to give it a poor rating because of all the hotels I've stayed in the last few years, I've not EVER been as annoyed as on this 3-night stay at being assigned a room at almost eye-level with the parking lot. I had to spend a fair amount of time working in my room and would've like to be able to open the balcony doors and enjoy the fresh air and not exhaust fumes. I did not want sea view, but was expecting "land view" as stated in my reservation to mean with at least some greenery, yet got nothing but concrete and cars driving in and out. I asked if I could be moved to a different room not directly facing the parking, or to a higher floor hoping to get less concrete, but the staff person I spoke to kept trying to get me to upgrade to a sea view, although I explained I didn't care to have sea view or not, just NOT EYE-LEVEL concrete! And I was unable to upgrade since it was a work trip. I understand this might be because we were paying special rates, but others in the group with the same rate did get sea-view rooms and higher floors. I'm generally not a picky person, but it was really, really annoying to be facing ONLY a parking lot and not be able to use the balcony nor open the door. The air system didn't seem to be working as it went off randomly even though the switch was turned to "off." The elevators were very bad and takes forever, and gives a jarring alarm when you push the button. The staff were sometimes courteous but I didn't always get the sense that they were genuinely interested in helping. At one point one staff member was extremely arrogant in answering a simple question (and I asked maybe 2 questions my whole stay). I'm an SPG member and while I don't expect special treatment, I certainly didn't expect that as a "preferred guest" to be given what was probably the worst room in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and understand that rooms with land-views mean parking-lot views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BrusselsSprouter
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I just recently organized an event at Le Meridien and I must say it exceeded my expectations. The Venue was superb, the food was top notch and all the guests surely enjoyed it. Thanks to the hard work and determination of Cristina, the events co-ordinator, and the rest of the staff on duty that night, we all had a splendid night. Thanks Le Meridien!

2  Thank KellyBartolo
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at Le Meridien St Julians last week with my best friend, a long awaited 'girls trip' and this property exceeded my expectations and really made our vacation incredible. We arrived to the hotel in the evening and were offered an upgrade to a suite on arrival as well as access to the executive club for breakfast and happy hour/afternoon tea. The room was wonderful with a sea view, an excellent location with walking distance to many charming restaurants (I am happy to report that we did not have a bad meal in Malta, the food was simple but delicious in all establishments we frequented). I am not good with names but there were several members of the staff that were exceptional. Firstly the lady that checked us in (and out) at the desk and the porter who removed a moth from our room (not a big problem at all). Extra special mentions go to the lady in the executive club at breakfast (outstanding), the guy who was at the executive club serving afternoon tea and the gentleman who served us at the rooftop bar, I believe his name was Andrea. The staff were not only lovely and courteous, but went above and beyond to make our stay extra special. I can see why the hotel won the award for service. Thank you Le Meridien St Julians for an amazing experience at your hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms add that extra special ambiance to rooms, it is lovely to sit on the balcony and rela...
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I spent 7 nights here - she is in a wheelchair - the welcome was good, easy and Tony took our bags up to our room and later showed me the indoor pool and gym areas.

we really enjoyed our stay here - we did have concerns over the Monsoon shower and whether that should be changed to one with a flexible hose, Anna the manager on call at the time raised it with maintenance where it was agreed that it was a good idea and could be changed "quite" easily so we wait with baited breath!! There was also an issue with the disabled toilet on the 3rd floor as the toilet seat was missing and the movable bar was stuck! Once again Anna responded promptly to try and resolve things but it did still take from Friday afternoon until Monday to resolve this which i think in these days is too long to wait for a toilet seat!!! I still do not understand why the adapted toilet door when not is use must be open but..............

Having said the above we felt that the hotel was very good and the staff are all really very polite and friendly, we will stay here again when we visit our friend in the area next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!