Stayed at this hotel for our wedding at another venue therefore there was 7 of us at this hotel. After reading trip advisor before we left I was rather concerned about the EXTRAS! On check in my card was charged with over E5,550.00 ( approved -not taken) I was quite shocked at this but was told the final balance would only be taken on check out. Since I had booked via my wedding planner I had different rates to the rates the hotel was quoting however when I checked my bill on the TV I was getting concerned at the higher charges. ( will refer to this later)
Our deluxe sea view room was excellent - clean - nice furniture tho the lighting was rather dim. Bathroom very good and separate toilet. View was lovely. My daughter had a land view and this was also pleasant and her room very similar to ours bar a carpeted floor.
The hotel bar tho pricy (E8 up to E21 for a decent shot of brandy) was pleasant tho also dimly lit and there is happy hour each day 6 - 7.30 pm where all drinks are half price. This tended to get very busy so service was slow and you were lucky to get more than 2 drinks during this time. No complaints on the bar staff they were more than friendly.
Breakfast time seemed very short staffed and tables rarely cleared - we had to do this ourselves which for 5 star is not acceptable. Food wise plenty of choice but there again in the early days no one was cleaning the food mess up left by other guests.
Dinner the first couple of nights was good however once again table service was slow and unprofessional. Unfortunately Xmas day dinner was a total disaster - we were faced with a very quiet restaurant and the tureens were basically empty apart from bits of dried food - I am afraid this is where I was so embarassed for my wedding guests that I quietly got up and went to reception almost in tears ! Ironically the lady that took my booking was called to reception and she came down to the restaurant to look for herself - she was also appauled at what she saw and spent probably the next couple of hours with the staff and chefs in the restaurant. She did offer us alternative food but by this time I was too upset to eat !
Following this complaint things definately improved in the restaurant - there were more managers on duty organising the staff and they were all more attentive tho I am not entirely sure this was for everyone ! All my guests and ourselves were sent a letter of apology from management and we were invited to eat in the private dining room with extra staff and attention - we took up this offer for 3 nights tho it was offered for a week ( same menu as the dinner buffet) some of our guests were also upgraded to the New Years Eve Gala dinner which we had booked. I cannot complain about this Gala at all the food was superb - amazing starter buffet with lobster, prawns, etc. and ample choice of main courses all explained by a chef and the waiters at the table were excellent.
The hotel management seemed eager to please us after my complaints re the restaurant and my account. We were sent flowers for our wedding, some bubbly and a small cake.
I would say that in a 5 star hotel the restaurant staff should at least have some degree of training - we did observe that a lot of staff had worked rediculous hours over the Xmas period and maybe this is where problems crept in but when you are on holiday in a 5 star hotel you do expect 5 star service and I am afraid the restaurant really lets the hotel down.
One other point is that there was no live music or entertainment in the hotel bar apart from a brief stint on New Years Eve when we were in the gala, The hotel bar also shuts very early.
Whilst we enjoyed the holiday I doubt very much we would return to the hotel due to the restaurant.
On a more positive note the Hotel Spa is Excellent - several of us went for various treatments and being a beautician myself I have no complaints whatsoever.
Final point - the bar fridge is on a censor so if like me you like to read a label on a bottle of wine - don't put it back as it registers that you have drank it ! Same goes for the nuts and pringles on the dressing table - on an electronic tray. This is run by an outside company not the hotel - we were refunded for things we had not drank or ate but you have to tell them on reception.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa in Malta is located within the bustling, cosmopolitan neighbourhood of St. Julians, offering plenty of entertainment and tranquility located along the seafront promenade. Enjoying excellent views, our hotel is an architectural gem, offering elegance with the relaxed feel luxury, boutique hotel in the Mediterranean. Enjoy international cuisine, accompanied by a refined selection of world wines, and take your coffee al fresco on the splendid terrace. Awaken your senses at the MyoKa spa and float in our tropical indoor pool where you will be revived by aromatherapy secrets from around the world Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa offers a relaxing ambiance for business travelers, families and couples. On the first floor of the premises, the meeting planner will discover a practical and modern background for their project, with an entire floor dedicated to business events. Free WIFI in the guest rooms as well as the public areas, indoor and outdoor pools (weather permitting)and 24h Guest service available via telephone and whatsapp/blackberry messenger. Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa is part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Le Meridien St. Julians reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Meridien St Julians
- Le Meridien Malta
- Le Meridien Saint Julian's
- Saint Julian's Le Meridien
- Le Meridien St. Julians Malta