“Group holiday”

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Dublin, Ireland
“Group holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for our wedding at another venue therefore there was 7 of us at this hotel. After reading trip advisor before we left I was rather concerned about the EXTRAS! On check in my card was charged with over E5,550.00 ( approved -not taken) I was quite shocked at this but was told the final balance would only be taken on check out. Since I had booked via my wedding planner I had different rates to the rates the hotel was quoting however when I checked my bill on the TV I was getting concerned at the higher charges. ( will refer to this later)
Our deluxe sea view room was excellent - clean - nice furniture tho the lighting was rather dim. Bathroom very good and separate toilet. View was lovely. My daughter had a land view and this was also pleasant and her room very similar to ours bar a carpeted floor.
The hotel bar tho pricy (E8 up to E21 for a decent shot of brandy) was pleasant tho also dimly lit and there is happy hour each day 6 - 7.30 pm where all drinks are half price. This tended to get very busy so service was slow and you were lucky to get more than 2 drinks during this time. No complaints on the bar staff they were more than friendly.
Breakfast time seemed very short staffed and tables rarely cleared - we had to do this ourselves which for 5 star is not acceptable. Food wise plenty of choice but there again in the early days no one was cleaning the food mess up left by other guests.
Dinner the first couple of nights was good however once again table service was slow and unprofessional. Unfortunately Xmas day dinner was a total disaster - we were faced with a very quiet restaurant and the tureens were basically empty apart from bits of dried food - I am afraid this is where I was so embarassed for my wedding guests that I quietly got up and went to reception almost in tears ! Ironically the lady that took my booking was called to reception and she came down to the restaurant to look for herself - she was also appauled at what she saw and spent probably the next couple of hours with the staff and chefs in the restaurant. She did offer us alternative food but by this time I was too upset to eat !
Following this complaint things definately improved in the restaurant - there were more managers on duty organising the staff and they were all more attentive tho I am not entirely sure this was for everyone ! All my guests and ourselves were sent a letter of apology from management and we were invited to eat in the private dining room with extra staff and attention - we took up this offer for 3 nights tho it was offered for a week ( same menu as the dinner buffet) some of our guests were also upgraded to the New Years Eve Gala dinner which we had booked. I cannot complain about this Gala at all the food was superb - amazing starter buffet with lobster, prawns, etc. and ample choice of main courses all explained by a chef and the waiters at the table were excellent.
The hotel management seemed eager to please us after my complaints re the restaurant and my account. We were sent flowers for our wedding, some bubbly and a small cake.
I would say that in a 5 star hotel the restaurant staff should at least have some degree of training - we did observe that a lot of staff had worked rediculous hours over the Xmas period and maybe this is where problems crept in but when you are on holiday in a 5 star hotel you do expect 5 star service and I am afraid the restaurant really lets the hotel down.
One other point is that there was no live music or entertainment in the hotel bar apart from a brief stint on New Years Eve when we were in the gala, The hotel bar also shuts very early.
Whilst we enjoyed the holiday I doubt very much we would return to the hotel due to the restaurant.
On a more positive note the Hotel Spa is Excellent - several of us went for various treatments and being a beautician myself I have no complaints whatsoever.
Final point - the bar fridge is on a censor so if like me you like to read a label on a bottle of wine - don't put it back as it registers that you have drank it ! Same goes for the nuts and pringles on the dressing table - on an electronic tray. This is run by an outside company not the hotel - we were refunded for things we had not drank or ate but you have to tell them on reception.

Room Tip: Sea view front of hotel is gorgeous with the beautiful church on the right hand side - lovely sound...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay at our hotel. May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your wedding.

It is disappointing to hear that the service we provided was not always up to your expectation and I do sincerely apologise that this was the case. This is definitely not the level of service that we would like our guests to experience. On a positive note I am pleased to hear that as soon as this was brought to the attention of our team, that action was taken immediately to rectify the situation. I am also pleased to hear that your found the rooms, hotel location and our Spa to your satisfaction.

While thanking you once again for sharing your experiences, I do hope that this would not deter you from staying at our hotel in the future and should you decide to do so, please do contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to personally deal with your reservation.

Franco Vella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at le Meridien in December 2012. It was me, my husband and two children. I have to say we had a wonderful stay in Malta. We were over the moon when we saw the suite as it was so roomy. It was right on the doorstep of all the good restaurants. The bus stop is right outside so travelling around was easy. The hotel staff were excellent and the facilities superb. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel as they are the reason I would love to return to Malta.

Room Tip: Don't ask for city view as it overlooks the car park. Our room was quite dark so make enquiries...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel's location, product and services to your satisfaction.

While thanking you once again for your review and your recommendation, we do hope to have the possibility to welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Accra, Ghana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed there for a week, celebrating New Year 2013, never again.

The Le Meridien is, to all appearances, a 5* hotel. Rooms and service are what you would expect, it is well situated with a nice view towards the sea.

And yet - this is the worst hotel experience i have so far had, in 30 years of travelling around the world!!!
Breakfasts consist of dinner leftovers, mostly leftover salads (salads like artichoke, or bean salad - perfect for breakfast). So it's a choice of 8-10 salad leftovers, 3 types of meet and 2 types of cheese for breakfast. No fish of any kind, and no fresh vegetables... and i mean NONE! I managed to see cucumbers one day, and somebody told me they had actually tasted a tomato at breakfast...but i haven't seen it myself, so i don't know whether to believe it. The juice offered (a chargeable extra) is actually a chemical concoction - no freshly squeezed juice in this hotel, never ever!

The so-called New Year's Gala Dinner consisted of just more of the same kind of buffet, with an added twist - we were treated to a cous-cous salad which had paraded as Moroccan cous-cous the evening before.

Room Tip: definitely go for a sea-view room, wonderfull views and larger rooms
1 Thank BorisIB
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience while staying at our hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found our location, rooms and service to your expectation.

I must admit I am extremely disappointed and surprised that you found our restaurant options not up to your expectations. It is surprising to hear comments relating to breakfast which includes over 60 items and is widely considered to be one of the most extensive breakfasts. In relation to the New year's Gala Dinner, this is again very surprising considering that we had over 74 items on offer between the cold, hot and dessert buffets. Nevertheless I do apologise that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectation. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the matter further.

While thanking you for your contribution, I look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Le Meridien St. Julians is a great place to stay - it's close (5 minute walk) to the bars and restaurants at Spinola and 10 minutes from the bars and clubs at Paceville (if you want a bit more excitement). The staff were friendly and our room was very nice with a large bathroom and a nice view over the bay. Be aware that unless you pay for a room with a view you are unlikely to get one as the hotel is quite close to the surrounding buildings. There's free WIFI in the lobby and you can get the bus to most places on the island from one of the stops right outside.

The gym and pool are good but can be overrun with children at times (there are child free periods if you want a more of a relaxing experience). We were room only so can't comment on the food.

If I were to go back to Malta I would be more than happy to stay here again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beaverman33
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experiences following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found both the product and the services that we offer up to your expectation.

While thank you once again for sharing your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Taking into account location and price I would highly recommend Le Meridien.

One of the best hotels in Malta.

We stayed over the christmas period with our 3 year old daughter and had a fab time.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Hotel was lovely, our room was very nice and we really enjoyed our stay.

In indoor pool was lovely and warm and our child was allowed in before 6am to 12am and after 6pm at night - this was ideal.

We ventured into the bar Ku Da Ta...cocktails and dinner one evening. Staff very good and food was enjoyed by all our party.

Will be back!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experiences following your stay over the Christmas period.

I am delighted to hear that both you and your family found the hotel so ideal for your Christmas break and it is a pleasure to hear that our associates played a role in enhancing your experience.

While thanking you once again for your contribution and for your excellent recommendation, we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Franco VellaGeneral Manager
Qormi, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I decided to take my colleagues to the Le Meridien hotel for December to celebrate. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Our table was set up perfectly in a quite place . The waiters served us perfectly and were very helpful. The food was excellent and good. We enjoyed our evening there. I will definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent visit.

I am pleased to hear that both you and your colleagues enjoyed your buffet dinner experience and I am glad to hear that the service offered by our associates was also a positive one.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I just returned from a week's stay at Le Meridien and was very impressed. The hotel facilities are all very good (what you would expect from a five star hotel) and the happy hour, with two cocktails for the price of one, was a big winner for us. The main highlight though was the staff. They were all extremely friendly and helpful, and definitely made our stay a great one.

A few minor points:
- wireless internet only available in the lobby and bar
- music during breakfast, in the lift and in the bar was almost constantly Christmas music, played a bit too loud. Mariah Carey seemed to have been on constant repeat
- the food in the hotel restaurant was mediocre in my opinion

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you found both the product and service that we offer up to your expectation and that our associates played a very important role in ensuring that you had a great stay.

Thank you once again for your contribution and we look forward to having the possibility of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,788 reviews

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!