“Good but not 5star good”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Good but not 5star good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Its a friendly enough place, but so is most of Malta, everything is OK staff are really nice but more like a western 3 or 4 star, entrances let it dowm, just not what you expect at a 5 star hotel, especially floor 0, it does not give a good impression at all, seemed to be lots of flys and flying things about, but that was the same everywhere else we went, but not pleasant buzzing about in the restaraunt at breakfast time. Breakfast awesome, very good selection of very fresh items, and an omlette chef and waffle chef on service all the time. We tried dinner, and decided to eat out the rest of the holiday.

Room Tip: The hotel front overlooks the bay, but little or no sun
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found both our associates and the people of Malta welcoming. Le Meridien is indeed an ideal location to sample the Maltese Hospitality. It is also very positive to note that you enjoyed our extensive Breakfast Buffet.

While thanking you for your constructive comments, which we will certainly take on board, I do hope of having the opportunity to welcoming you once again to both Malta and Le Meridien St. Julian's.

Franco Vella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights while working in Malta.
Hotel was clean and tidy, room was well equipped and bed was very comfortable. No sea views though unless you ask!
Bathrooms were very nice, clean and decent shower as well as large corner bath.
Ordered room service several times, food was good, although a little pricey.
Gym was well equipped and indoor spa pool was extremely relaxing.
Staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay. Would definitely book here if returning to Malta.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, otherwise view will be of adjacent apartment block
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent visit to Malta and our Hotel.
We are pleased to hear that you have found both our unique location and the quality of the product and services provided to your liking. It is also positive to note that our associates played an important role in this positive experience.

While thanking you once again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back both in Malta and Le Meridien St. Julian's Hotel & Spa in the not too distant future.

Sliema, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Last time we dined here, food and service was great........

My daughters and I just came from dinner there and I have to say, it was the worst service I've ever experienced. So you would least expect it to come from a five star hotel.

To start with, we waited a while for our starters, and when they were given to us, I had no spoon for my soup. The only waiter outside was 'busy' talking to the only other diners outside. I tried waiting a few minutes to see maybe he'll look to see if everything was ok with us but no. I had to tell my daughter (I had baby on me) to go ask the bar for a spoon. Again, after finishing our starters, we tried to see whether we'd get the waiter's attention but I had to ask my daughter to call another waiter and tell him we wanted our main course. Our main course came, we had to grab a fork from another table because although we tried calling the waiter that got us our plates, it seemed he did not hear me. No one came to check on us and again, we had to call for the bill. Finally, our waiter (who by this time stopped his discussion with the other guests) came to collect our plates. I told him that we asked for our bill because he was busy and he said ' you sure you don't want desert?' .....so, I'm thinking, does he really care? The bill came to us and I asked about the parking ticket. This waiter said 'you must check with security because I don't drive and I never needed to know' - It was his job to ask and make my experience there more pleasant but no, I don't want to experience this ever again! And I just won't go there! I got what I needed from a receptionist there!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ChristineXart
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our Ku De Ta Bar & Lounge. I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconveniences encountered and for not being able to provide you with our usual experience. I can assure you that this matter has been taken up with our associates.

As you stated in the being of your review this is certainly an unusual experience and I kindly invite you to get in touch with me personally to discuss the matter further.

I look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Bruxelles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Introduction:

I checked TripAdvisor, as I always do, to read members review about hotels in Malta.
The Hilton or the Westin had more good reviews than Le Meridien.
I must say that I was a little concerned about Le Meridien as some reviews were truly bad. But I decided to go for it based on the rate and here is what I experienced.

Dates of stays: from August 31st till September 7th.

The Exterior:
It’s a large hotel and it takes a huge space of the left bank of Baluta Bay. Having said that, as the bay is full of large buildings, Le Meridien is very discreet and nice looking viewed from the bay.

The Area:
Perfect!
At 0 minutes walking you’ll find bars and restaurants (please see my restaurant reviews) as well as spots to sunbath and swim in the sea. No sandy beach though but locals don’t care about that and go for a swim right in the bay. The banks are rocky and still offer a nice opportunity to chill out in the sun.
At 5 minutes walking, you’ll find more bars & restaurants but also a real supermarket featuring all the stuff you might want (Grocery, wine, …).
At 10 minutes walking you will be in the heart of St. Julians, where the action is. If you’re looking for an unlimited choice of bars, clubs and restaurants, that is where you want to go in the evening. In day time, it is the perfect spot for shopping!

The Interior:
Lovely. The place is truly luxury and very well decorated.
From the lobby to the the various corridors, bars and restaurants, there is nothing negative one could say about the interior of this hotel.

Check in:
After a late landing, a difficult rent-a-car experience, we finally made it to the hotel at around midnight.
The very bad surprise was that the first signs we saw were taking us to the level 0 where the parking is but the reception is on level 3!
So, after taking the bags out of the car, and entering the main building at level 0 we couldn’t use the elevator for some reason.
We had to put the bags back in the car, exit the parking level and try to find a way to the main entrance which turns out to be on the other side of the building.
Parking the car in front of it, taking the bags out of the car again, and finally reaching the reception, we could check in.
The check in itself was fast and efficient and it took less than 10 minutes to reach our room and start to undress and shower, finally.

The room:
As a platinum member, I’m always upgraded in Starwood hotels. Most of the time I even get suites and if not, a very nice & large room.
I was upgraded in Le Meridien St. Julian’s too and to an Executive room.
Now, that is when it starts to be not as good as expected.
The executive room is not that great. If I had to compare with other Starwood properties, I would rate this room as an average “superior room”. The main difference with regular rooms of this hotel seems to be the view; executive have front bay view.
But, in terms of space, ours was quite small.
It doesn’t really bother me, but still if I had to pay extra charge to get one of these, I wouldn’t.

The Bathroom:
Here too there are some inconsistent arrangements. There is a bath and a separate shower. The bath is a “special shaped one” so it takes a lot of space in the room (no Jacuzzi bath though, so what’s the point?).
The separate shower is quite “small” and only features a ceiling shower which is a pain as when you want to rinse, it takes ages and a gym session to clear the soap from your body.
I’m not sure if any guest appreciate a special shaped bath, but as it does NOT offer much more space in it, I don’t see the point, again.
Also bothering me, no space is available to put our stuff. My better half and I have quite some toiletries and the space to unpack them is very limited.
Final note about this bathroom is that the separate shower has only one super small tablet so it is impossible to leave both our shower stuff in the shower. We had to alternate the shampoo and soap each time as we use different stuff.
Quite stupid lay out if you ask me.

The Bed:
2/5: much too hard and with a very disturbing vinegar smell.
I don’t get it as Starwood properties usually have fantastic beddings.

The Breakfast:
On our first morning we went to the Scirocco restaurant where the breakfast for non “Executive” is served. As usual there is a sign asking to wait to be placed. In this case, as nobody came fast enough, I decided to enter and pick a table by myself. That was a great decision as when we left the place there were around 10 people waiting and still no host to address them.
Anyway, the breakfast buffet was huge. The choice was endless including a super machine making fresh donuts on top of waffles and pancakes plus of course the usual stuff and an incredible wide choice of fruits. One of the largest breakfast buffet I ever saw.
The downside is that it is very crowdie and noisy.

So the next morning we decided to go to the “Executive lounge”.
My first experience was a bit bitter.
My better half was sleeping and I decided to wait for her but to go to the lounge to grab a coffee.
The person in duty wouldn’t allow me to get a cup of coffee and go back to my room as the rules state that what is in the lounge stays in the lounge.
She told me that I could use the free coffee in my room! Ok, so basically, if I want to get a better tasting free coffee from the lounge but I cannot do that. I’m supposed to drink the powder instant coffee in my room.
Both are free…so why the hell am I considered as a thief when I prefer to get a better tasting coffee?
Now, let’s look at that bloody lounge: breakfast consist in toast and some ham, cheese, salmon, salami, orange juice and 3 other juices in the fridge. There is honey and jam too as well as some cereals (Rice crispies, corn flakes, coco pops…). If you wish you ask for eggs your way it’s possible too.
In fact, as there is nothing else, the choice is very limited.

The Executive lounge:
Once breakfast is finished, 11:00 AM, there is nothing available except water and coffee.
At 4:00PM, there are a couple of cold snacks, one hot snack, wine, beers and coca cola, sprite and Fanta. This ends at 7:00PM.
Trust me, I have been in many Starwood properties and many other brands, I’ve never faced such a greedy way of treating the guests.
Once again, do not apply for Executive status, neither the room, nor the lounge is worth the extra.

Room Service:
5/5. I used room service several times and it was perfect: fast, professional and friendly! I do recommend.

House Keeping:
Same as the above.
A special congrat to the team that also come in the early evening to ask you if you need something.

Fitness center/Wellness:
Oh, well, this is the best feature of the hotel for sure.
A wide range of wellness treatments, a wonderfull indoor pool, sauna, and an incredible fitness center even better than my local one. Strongly recommended! 5 stars for this one.

The Restaurants and bars:
Please check my separate reviews.

Business center:
A joke! A smallish screen in the Executive lounge…

Check out:
Was quite special as the person on duty wanted me to meet the front desk manager after I complained about the key cards the night before. Indeed, for the first time I really made a scandal at the front desk about the fact that as a guest, and platinum, I couldn’t open any doors of the hotel with my card the day before.
I was explained that there were software issues…and that regarding the coffee of the lounge that it’s the rule that it cannot be taken out of the lounge. On the breakfast, I was told that the free breakfast was the one in the lounge, the other one was billed. Having said that, they didn’t bill it though.

I really liked:
- The staff. Great people, very professional, always helping, friendly. Loved the way I was considered with the exception of that person who said I couldn’t take a cup of coffee to my room.
This person needs much more training.

I really disliked:
- The executive lounge: no way you should pay a dime for this.
- The elevators: take ages to finally get one!
- Key cards expiring before agreed check out time
- Key card not opening the 0 level door after going to the 0 level restaurant. They told us it was for security?! What security. Any one can enter the hotel in the day time and go to any floor without a key card anyway.

My conclusion:
If I ever come back to Malta, which is more than likely because of business, I will give Le Meridien a second chance. But, except the wonderful staff here I don’t really expect to be pleasantly surprised about the poor bathroom, poor executive room and lounge or elevators.

Thanks for reading one more bad English review!

All the best,
Stephane

PS: to the management of those hotel chains.
Whatever the brand is, you make statements about your “preferred guests”.
Please start to build a UNIQUE database in which you will collect all the information about us. Ask us to carry our member card all the time so your staff can identify us and treat us accordingly. I do understand that some guests are going away from the lounges with food and drinks to avoid to spend money in the bars and restaurants of the hotel but some of us are just looking at getting a coffee that taste a bit better than the one you offer in the room.
On top of this, I could have ran away without any control from the non-executive breakfast place in this hotel with food and drinks to feed the entire community of homeless in Malta for a couple of days  But I was treated as a criminal in the executive lounge because I wanted a coffee!

Room Tip: Standard rooms have no views! Executive have but are small and not so executive.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank StephaneBxl
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your extensive review about our hotel following your recent stay. As you indicated the hotel enjoys a unique location to experience the Maltese way of living.

We are also pleased to hear that you have found the hotel's decor, our extensive breakfast buffet and the service provided by our associates to your satisfaction.

We have certainly taken on board your very valid recommendations and I certainly look forward to having the possibility of meeting up with you during your next visit.

Thank you once again to your contribution.

Naxxar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

excellent hotel and staff. Antonella from reservations has been very helpful with our booking. Spa facilities are faultless, Room was spotless and very spacious. I would definitely recommend Le Meriden St. Julians

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MAttard_12
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience following your visit to our hotel.

It is a pleasure to hear that you positive experience started from the point of contact with our reservations team and I am glad to see that you have enjoyed every aspect of your visit including our renowned Spa facilities.

We do hope of having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

My sister and i stayed here in August 2012. We had a superior twin room with a small balcony where you could see the sea if standing outside. It was spacious and clean, the bathroom was huge (although i think we may have been given a disable friendly room).
The location of the hotel was perfect, with a small (pebble) beach less then a minute from the the front of the hotel, but if we didn't feel like swimming there the roof top pool was also great, not overcrowed (considering the size of the hotel) we always got a deck chair with no problems. The staff at the front desk were fantasic, very helpful! Every morning when deciding where to go they gave us great information, maps and the bus time table!
We caught public transport everywhere, and there is a bus stop right out the front of the hotel with direct buses to Valetta. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very exensive, anything you could want for breakfast they had it! There is a number of lovely restaurants and cafes located a few minutes walk from the hotel.

Around on the next bay area is paceville where all the partying happens, but St Julians was very peaceful and relaxing! Would DEFINATLY stay here again and would definatly recommend making this the base to any holiday in Malta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing the great experience you and your sister had during your recent stay at our hotel.

It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have not only enjoyed the unique location that the hotel has to offer, but that you found the both the service that our associates provide and the hotel to your complete satisfaction.

We do hope to having the opportunity of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We were very impressed with this hotel. As a platinum members we got upgrated to better room.
I have never stayed in bigger room then in le Meridien! Two balconies with amazing view!
Staff was very friendly and helpfull. Hotel is very clean and comfortable. We didn't use spa but it looked very nice.
Very close to all restaurants and buses. Lots of local pizzerias just outside hotel.
We took bus just from outside hotel back to airport. It was very cheap and convienient.
If you go to Malta, you won't regret staying in this amazing hotel!

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel and it is indeed a pleasure to hear that you have found the picturesque and unique location of the hotel to your complete satisfaction.

I am delighted to hear that you found our associates welcoming and the size of our rooms to your requirements. It is indeed a pity you did not have the possibility of taking the opportunity to sample the wide range of service that our Spa is so well known for both locally and overseas.

Thank you once again for your comments and we do look forward to having the opportunity to welcoming you back to Malta and Le Meridien in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,788 reviews

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!