“Lovely hotel - great position and fab spa”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel - great position and fab spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend on 27th April. The hotel is in a great position, right by the water, with a fantastic view (make sure you get a room with a sea view). It was a short walk away from the restaurants and shops. I went with a friend for the purpose of a relaxing spa weekend in a lovely hotel and that's pretty much what we got. Breakfasts were fab - didn't know where to start (or stop!). Great rooftop pool. Went to the spa and had a lovely relaxing massage. Only niggles and they are very small niggle, was room was a little stuffy at times (but could possibly be because we didn't know how to work the aircon), but great size rooms. Would have been nice to have free wi-fi in the rooms, as it was only in the lobby, but otherwise great hotel and I would recommend it and go back.

Room Tip: Sea view room on 7th floor and above
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with other travellers.

We have noted your comments regarding WIFI, and would like to point out that this should be available in the rooms within the next few months.

We are delighted that you and your friend enjoyed a relaxing Spa weekend, and in this respect we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you once again.

Yours sincerely

Franco Vella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

With the name "Le Meridien" I expected a lot and for the most part I was not disappointed. The beds were not as comfortable as the Westin hotels are domestically but they were certainly good. The room did not have a refrigerator, only a minibar. It also had a tray of snacks on the small desk that had a warning on it that if you removed an item it would be automatically charged to your room. Seemed a little tacky for such a nice hotel. Since I there on business a larger work area would have been nice and in room internet service was pricey. The hotel only has free wi-fi in public areas.

The room was big, the bedding was great, the towels were nice and thick. The tub was very comfortable and relaxing. The spa was great. I ended up having two massages which were so relaxing and luxurious. The spa also had a nice pool and steam room which were free for use for hotel guests.

But the view was unbelievable and made you feel like a millionaire. My room had a small deck with a table and two chairs. I bought a bottle of local wine, sat on the deck and relaxed listening to the ocean waves with the bells of the nearby church ringing in the background. Unbelievable. Thank you Le Meridien for the beautiful experience.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend, especially if they were going to Malta for a vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Noodlechecker
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Le Meridien St. Julians with other travellers.

I am glad to read about your positive comments, and it is our pleasure to know that our services were up to your expectations. Regarding the comment about the WIFI, we do emphatize with you that not having this in the guestroom is an inconvenience, however, I would like to point out that this should be available within the next few months.

Many thanks in advance for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Qawra, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

I hosted 30 friends to a 50th birthday surprise party in the Ku De Ta Lounge a few days ago. I can safely say that this was a wonderdul experience on all counts. The staff were courteous, the food was excellent and the venue left nothing to be desired.

The management of the hotel went out of their way to ensure that the event was a success. My guests enjoyed four hours in beautiful surroundings with mouthwatering delicacies. I will certainly not hesitate to promote your hotel at any time.

I will definitely come back to you for my next event. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JosQawra_Malta
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments online. We are also glad to note that the surprise party went very well.

We value greatly such encouraging and complimentary comments, which allows us to focus on the important issues of guest service and personal attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

We were looking forward to staying here,a nice 5 star hotel holiday,we thought??we checked in late to our honeymoon room!first thing we noticed was the single beds placed so far apart it was funny!then champagne,which seemed very odd,considering our bed situation!the room was extremely stuffy so put on the air con,which just was not sufficient,so opened the patio doors for air,pushed the beds together,and tested them out!rock hard mattresses,hence no sleep!as well as noise from road all night long due to the lack of air con and doors open etc,no sleep!not a good start at all,however the view from the room was beautiful.made several complaints to reception,but nothing much could be done,and remember this is a 5 star hotel!the week continued in much the same way really,no sleep,lots of little niggles there too,the basic comforts for guests in our opinion are not being met,ie,good nights sleep!its so important when we travel,in order for us to recharge our batteries and have the energy to explore the island etc,WE NEED SLEEP!having stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world,i have to say this was probably the worst,however the pool,spa is very nice,we had many treatments,slept through most of them!but it was lovely in there,some of our issues were resolve,partially,by a very helpful manager,she was very apologetic and tried hard to please us,but unfortunately as i have said the hotel just lacks the basics.things there just dont seem right,the room was nice,rather basic in decor,great bathroom,and wonderful seperate rainshower,but had to keep asking for little things like,flannels,toiletries,slippers etc,and the service was just not up to scratch.as we had the choice of several 5 star hotels to take our honeymoon at,we feel we definately made a wrong decision to stay there,with hindsight we should have left on the first day,but we hoped things would improve,hoped being the operative word!on a positive note,we met some great people and the weather was good,Malta is amazing,the people are lovely,and the sightseeing is fantastic,also the hotel is set in a great place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. Ours guests comments are extremely valuable to us.

First of all, may I say how very sorry I am that you left the Hotel less than satisfied with the services you received. We take great pride in providing our guests with the highest standards of service and I am extremely sorry that on this occassion we failed to meet your expectations.

Whilst I can assure you that all your comments have been thoroughly dealt with at operational level, any attempt to justify would I feel, be in appropriate. You clearly did not receive the quality of service upon which we pride ourselves.

In the meantime, I do hope that you will visit us again in the near future as to be given the opportunity to turn around your perception of our Hotel & Services.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed there for a long weekend. It was great, the room was humongous, the breakfast was very pleasant, the spa in the hotel (free pool and jacuzzi and sauna, paid spa services) was really wonderful, and the location was superb. Will definitely be back.

1 Thank shuffle81
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Reviewer.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online and for the very positive score you attributed to our Hotel.

Many thanks for your valued custom and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bridge of Allan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

If you plan to get married in Malta then my advice to you all would be to get married at le meridien hotel, St Julians, Malta. I have just returned from spending the most amazing 3 weeks of my life in the hotel so I was very surprised by a lot of the comments i see have been written before me.

We decided to get married in Malta a year ago and since choosing this hotel as our venue to get married in and also have the reception in, it has been nothing short of perfect sailing the whole way. This is primarily due to Bernice the wedding planner attached to the hotel and the way in which she makes planning a wedding look easy. There was nothing we could have asked for that was not impossible for Bernice and the wedding on the day was the best wedding that I have ever been at ( im biased i know), but the amount of guests who also agreed it was the best ever wedding, best ever service and also best ever meal was unbelievable.

The wedding day was amazing. We got married on the 11th floor terrace and had the recption on the 12th floor overlooking balluta bay. The fillet beef was perfectly made and the service of the staff on the day was out of this world.

When we checked in to the hotel we were upgraded to a junior executive suite on the 9th floor, the staff at the hotel could not do enough for us the whole time we were there. We had 50 guests flying over for the wedding and the ones who stayed at the hotel all agreed that the staff and service which they had was amazing. My mother and father were upgraded when they arrived,(by the ever smiling front of desk manager) my sister and her family were given an amazing room, my friends were all delighted by their rooms.

Yes the hotel bar is slightly pricey but what 5 star hotel isnt? The hilton in Malta is pricier. However from 6-7.30 every night all drinks and cocktails were half price. A special thanks to Stefano the bar manager who was fantastic the whole 3 weeks and on the wedding night nothing was too difficult or to much trouble for him.

We ordered room service the night before the wedding and it was arrived within 30 mins piping hot and delicious (i would highly recommend the lobster ravioli).

Yes, Breakfast was busy at times but the staff at the breakfast area were all on hand to sort this efficienctly so we were never waiting for a table or food and the food at the breakfast room was amazing and had every choice imaginable.

Yes there were only 4 lifts and yes on ocassion they were slow at busy times, BUT you never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get from A-B and if you were in a rush you could walk down the stairs to the 3rd floor reception area within a couple of minutes so the lifts were NOT a problem.

Overall the staff, the service and the hotel made our whole wedding experience amazing.

We have stayed in the hilton before and le meridien was far superior in every way to this hotel.

I have been going to Malta for 34 years and stayed in numerous hotels over the years. Le meridien is by my favourite and we will be back.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room with the sun in the afternoon
2 Thank emmamcelhill
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your kind comments.

We are pleased to note that you had a successful and memorable wedding at Le Meridien in Malta, and would like to take this opportunity of wishing you all the very best.

We value greatly such encouraging and complimentary comments, which allow us to focus on the important issues of guest service and personal attention.

May I also thank you in particular for your compliments with regards to team members who provided a helpful and professional service during your stay, especially Bernice and Stefano. These kind comments have been shared with the entire team.

I look forward to welcoming you both again to Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa in the near future.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

It isn't so much that this hotel is poor it's just that it doesn't reach the standards I would expect for the price.

7th floor sea view room was a good size and you had a view of the sea (over the buildings in front of the hotel). Bathroom with good sized bath and separate shower cubicle. Separate toilet was a little compact. So no real problem with the room. Amenities are available if you ask but housekeeping let the hotel down (little irritating niggles - when we arrived one of the beds didn't have pillows; one day we didn't have a full set of towels and another none at all; and if you want robes you have to ask - before you go to the spa!).

The outside pool was unheated and so in April too cold to use which left the spa pool. This was reserved for adults noon to 6pm so if you have a treatment expect to hear shouting children after 6pm. Also the spa pool and surrounding area were too small for the numbers using it. Steamroom etc. - small and unisex.That said the spa rooms are very nice and the treatments excellent.

We had the buffet meals - adequate but no more and choice of desserts (which i might have bought at a supermarket) limited. Staff were helpful but there weren't enough to provide a really good service experience. Breakfast was better but still not quite reaching the standard I would expect.

A mention for Jasson at SkyPeople who took us for a trial flying lesson - a great way to see the islands and great fun, a real experience.

And a word about the 516 restaurant near the hotel - we gave up waiting for the lunch we ordered!

I know this sounds like a lot of whingeing but I was just so disappointed with the experience. We liked Malta and it's well worth a visit but you've guessed it - if we go back to Malta it won't be to Le Meridien!

Still back to Oman soon!!!

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor. Our guests' constructive comments are extremely valuable to us.

I am concerned with some of the points you highlighted and I will certainly look into it immediately with the Heads of Departments concerned.

I would like to point out that when we receive comments that indicate that our performance has been lacking in any way, as a matter of procedure , we investigate each aspect of the complaint. Having done this we then speak to all concerned and take the ncessary action to try and prevent similar shortcomings occurring in the future.

In the meantime, I do hope that you will visit us again in the near future as to be given the opportunity to turn around your perception of our Hotel and services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,788 reviews

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!