“5 star all the way”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Well I had not been to Malta for years and my arrival was full of surprises.

Ideally located in the heart of St Julian's Bay - this hotel certainly lives up to its star rating as one would expect from the Inter Continental Brand.

I was fortunate to stay in a club room and therefore access to the Club Lounge and to be honest well worthy of any additional supplements for those who can afford or want it. Very well stocked, with constant fresh canapes served daily.. The roof terrace to enjoy a late night drink or breakfast with a relaxed and friendly service from all the staff. Mentioning the staff is important as throughout my 4 night stay I encountered smiling friendly faces with good levels of service. I recall one evening my turn down maid arriving and telling her that I did not need the service! Her reply was "but you need your chocolate later" and went straight and fetched it! Very amusing.

Facilities are excellent and with good dining options you will not be spoilt for choice.

Finally and I am very honest for group organiser's - conference and Incentive - this is without doubt a perfect hotel and venue and I have no issues in commending it to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank WhickerSmith
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Malta

Reviewed May 13, 2014

It is an average 5 star international chain hotel. Spacious nice rooms, very good location, the breakfast is perfect (and quite cheap - 10€), the swiming pools are nice also. You know what you are paying for.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I recently surprised my Daughter and New Son in law with a holiday to Malta They have just returned full of praise for the Hotel and Staff.It is there first visit They stayed in a Club room with access to the Club lounge There words it was fantastic A special mention to Waterbiscuit, the pork cheeks were to die for .looking forward to there next visit hope it won't be to long

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed here for a week off season, this hotel has the best, largest club lounge we have ever had the pleasure of staying in. Very well stocked, with constant fresh canapes brought to us. Lovely roof terrace to enjoy a late night drink also. The rooms are of the usual high IC standard, our only negative was the pool and spa facilities, nothing bad, just not as good as other ICs. The location of the hotel was perfect for us, the street with all cocktail bars went down especially well. We would recommend and will return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alyson C
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Having been here before but at garden side, this time went for front of hotel, where all the noise was ( well it is a mini city) being a nosy person, I was happy to sit on balcony and watch the world go by, or the few hundred kids that came to the language school across rd for the week. Most our day was spent either walking round area, and it was lovely, with the odd stop for refreshments....or we lay aside rooftop pool, which was fantastic. Staff where very attentive, being close by when another cocktail was required. All staff were fantastic, very pleasant and extremely helpful. This hotel has everything to offer and what is not inside is most definitely outside in surrounding area.
Only negative...we decided, for fun, we would do the sightseeing bus, but in evening.....not good idea! although we had a laugh??honestly didn't see much! Valletta at night, lovely, but get night bus in ... Went through lot of villages, saw nothing..obviously too dark; but lesson learned . Daytime tour next time ;-)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank laursma
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Like some other viewers I was slightly concerned if the local area noise levels might affect getting a good nights sleep but it was not a problem what so ever. We had a room on the 9th floor overlooking the garden (well facing the trees and a small edge of the garden but it gave us privacy which was ideal for us).

We had a standard double room which was more than large enough for us and was very very comfortable and had all the amenities and facilities you need and would expect from a 5 star hotel and with a great bathroom and large bath we really couldn't fault anything wrong with the room. Yes the Hotel is next to the party area but I knew this when I booked it and so should most people so those that complained of the area should have done a bit of homework first. We would normally elect to go somewhere quieter than this type of resort area but we thought for a change we'd try something different and we were glad we did as we really enjoyed it. Being so close to the bars and clubs makes is a great area for people watching and just across the bay there is a few quieter bars for eating and drinking see other reviews for Andrews Bar.

Breakfast time was busy but what do you expect when you have a busy hotel but the staff where very attentive to make sure you got a table straight away and they kept on top of getting the tables cleared and cleaned ready for the next guests, I'd rather have seen this than leaving dirty plates on tables any day of the week. The breakfast was really good, you had every choice you needed from cooked breakfast, cereals, fruits, waffles, cakes, cold buffet and a lot more, there was enough choice for all tastes and there should be no complaints about breakfast, I would say the ones that have made complaints about the breakfast then they are being far too fussy.

Overall I would certainly recommend the Hotel for a romantic break and don't worry about the noise outside I expected it and it didn't affect our sleeping as you couldn't hear a thing so it was absolutely fine and we really enjoyed some of the small bars and cafe's in the clubbing areas, sitting later in the evening with a coffee and small whiskey watching the world go by and people watching the young party goers, stags and hens was quite funny.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the end of April in the Intercontinental. We originally had difficulty in finding the hotel and ended up parking our hire car to see if we could find it on foot. Walking around Paceville I was worried that this wasn't going to be the perfect end to our weeks holiday in Malta. Paceville reminded me of Benitses in Corfu, where I visited as a teenager for a girls holiday. We walked by bar after bar, a couple of strip clubs and a macdonalds - not my ideal location for a romantic holiday and I wondered why on earth DH had booked us in a hotel here! However walking into the foyer filled me with a sense of calm, it felt civilised, light and airy and quiet (as compared to outside). We stayed in a club room with access to the club members lounge, this includes access to computers/iPads and magazines, free hot and cold none alcoholic beverages, afternoon tea served between 3pm and 5pm, and free alcoholic beverages and canapés between 5.30pm and 7.30pm (perfect pre dinner prep!). This actually translated in us not actually eating out on one evening and not needing a glass of wine over dinner on the other two nights. The outdoor pool area is huge (though the weather was not quite warm enough for us to take a dip) and there are a number of bars and restaurants in the hotel (though not all were open in April). We did venture to the pizza restaurant one evening and the staff noticed I had barely touched my seafood pizza (unfortunately it wasn't to my taste - too cheesy and the mussels still had their beards intact) I was asked firstly by a waitress and then by the restaurant manager if there was something wrong with the food. I explained (under duress) what the problem was and the cost of my pizza was immediately taken off of our bill. We also ate in the hotel's Paranga Restaurant located on the seafront. The food was good but you will need to order a side of vegetables as the meals are lacking. We did venture outside of the hotel visiting Valleta and St Julian's Bay, as we paid for parking at the hotel (€10 pn) valet service is included which was a lovely touch. The staff are extremely helpful and polite and although the hotel is a little tired in places we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!