“3rd time around - this hotel is very consistent & improving”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
“3rd time around - this hotel is very consistent & improving”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Came here for the third time for 4 days.
The good stuff were good as always: wonderful breakfast, excellent sauna and gym, lovely bedroom, good WiFi and overall great atmosphere.
We not only don't mind the area - we love it! We are not big party goers but love the vicinity of bars for cocktails, beers and of course the beach and beach club - it was great!

There was significant improvement in the service. It was always highly regarded here in the comments but I never felt it in previous visits. This time the staff was truly helpful, kind, asked us all the time how the stay is going, and every request we made was taken care off very smoothly. This was the best service I have ever experienced and miles better then previous visits.

One bad issue is the inside pool's water - it was clean and clear when we arrived but seemed dirty and murky by the time we left. Couldn't use it on the last day. This happened last time we were there too and I saw in the comments people complaining about it too. It should really be addressed because of the overall high standard this hotel has.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

There are lots of good things about this hotel like professional and helpful staff, central location and Waterbiscuit restaurant. Furthermore there are two pools, many on-site restaurants, spa, gym and plenty more. It reminds of a cruise ship, which surely has inspired the architect. The view and and service at Club Lounge was also spot on. The one big disapointment is the property itself. Although just over ten years old, it looks and feels worn and outdated. The room was good sized but lacked decor and style. Except the good bed, the furniture was like from a summer cabin. On IHG standards this hotel should be branded as Holiday Inn.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teppo L
Gliwice, Poland
Reviewed May 5, 2014

There are a lot of good things about this hotel but we always want to point out the things we do not loike as thy stick in your mind.
First I will list th good that I remember. These are the things tht made our vacation in Malta very favorable. Great service and staff very hospitable and helpful, Clean and well maintained. Very friendly ad cooperative at reception desk. Concierge- top notch (extremely knowledgable and helpful). Location ad Beach club good with and excellnt restaurant on the bay. Nice outdoor pool with plenty of chairs or beds and good service. Price is k based on internet research as we were looking for a upper class hotel with a good price.
Now for a few things that annoyed us. The mini bar -it is automatic billing so be careful. I took some items out to put some personal itemsin andthey automatically appeared on my bill. However after bringing this to the attention of the front desk they corrected it. And even invited us for a day to th executive lounge as a appology- nice touch. Rooms a little noisy as you can here from the other rooms and hallway but not from the outside. Overall a good experience andI would stay there again if we return to Malta.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ge0rge54
uk
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Large hotel in a busy area, next to noisy bars but the rooms have two windows so any noise gets blocked out. Staff were very helpful and sociable. When I asked if they had an ice machine I was told no but room service would deliver me some for €3! When I asked if I could go to the bar for some he said no, but it did and had no trouble.
Valets parked our hire car every time we used it.
The restaurants were expensive, we had an offer from reception on our arrival for breakfast, €10 each for the three of us but we had to have it every day, we refused as you can have decent coffee and breakfast outside the hotel. We actually bought cereals and plastic throw away dishes for my son from the supermarket and used the minibar for the milk, when I asked the hotel for a spoon they sent me one by room service but charged me €4. Be careful if you move anything out of your mini bar fridge and don't put it straight back, you will be charged.
The only gripe I have is, I don't think the cleaners are thorough enough, they change the beds every day which I think is unesessery, they didn't seem to wipe round the bedroom surfaces, but the bathroom smelled of urine and the toilet seat had stains on it. When we asked if she could use some bleach she said no it's not good for the guests! The shower was slow running and leaked out, one day I had the housekeeping out as the bathroom floor wasn't washed, they sent 3 women out to it, maybe I'm OCD about a clean toilet but it wouldn't stop me staying there again but I would go out and buy my own bleach!
Pool on the roof is lovely and loads of sun loungers. My hubby and son used the indoor swimming pool and sauna and enjoyed it very much, but the spar was out of my price range. The gym was ok but nowhere near as good as the one we use near home.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was a good hotel, unfortunately we found around three cockroaches in our room over the week. The location wasn't great, it was next to a busy pathway and at night would be full of people. The pool on the top floor was good and quite big. The view was great from the top.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anna C
London
Reviewed April 28, 2014

From the moment I stepped into the hotel i felt like a VIP. The helpful knowledgeable staff could not be more friendly. My room was beautiful and spotless, the view was amazing. I had a Turkish Spa treatment which relaxed me so much i decided to stay in that evening and chill on my giant bed! Room Service was delicious, breakfast massive selection and tasty.

I travelled alone for a weekend away and felt safe and happy my whole trip.
Did a lovely walk all along the cost to Sliema and back.
I also went horseriding at Golden Sands. It was gorgeous, a sunset ride through the hills and along the top of the coast. Mario the guy i booked with gave me a lovely quite horse called Brandy. I caught the bus back to St Julians for just 2 euros.
The weather was beautiful, sun the whole trip and I just had the best time.
Oh, just outside the hotel there is a little pizza stand - THE BEST PIZZA i ever had in my entire life!

The hotel is total luxury. I could have stayed the whole month!
I treated myself to lunch at Paranga before i flew home, highly recommend it. The fish was so fresh and tasty.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for our 40th anniversary could not thank staff at hotel enough they made the stay
Very special . We upgraded to club
Room which was beautiful, sun all day on our veranda& near lift for walking. The club room room included breakfast afternoon tea
& also drinks & aperitif before dinner.The staff were excellent in club lounge & if I have to single out
One it would be Angelic she had a Great team working for her due to the way she treated them & her clients. Thank-you intercontinental
For a wonderful stay.Also you must visit the hotels Parangu Resturant
Which is a few yards down the road
On the beach. We went there for our anniversary & had 5star treatment & very reasonable
We booked the holiday through
Secret escapes & they were Also excellent. The last bit of information
I have to give you is there bus service is excellent 1euro 50 each & you could hop on. & off there buses al day it is great for anyone with walking difficulties.
Will go back to Malta

The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!