If, like me, you check out Tripadvisor before you book almost anything, then I genuinely hope this review will be helpful to you. I personally wish I had researched the comments on the area prior to booking as quite frankly, I wouldn't have confirmed if I had.
Firstly I should say that the hotel itself is excellent - friendly staff, great food, good facilities. I booked a 'Deluxe Triple Room' for myself, husband and 16 year old daughter via Booking.com and got an excellent rate. Just after arrival and check in, I did query the room with the receptionist as it seemed like a pretty standard 5 star twin room to me - two queen sized beds (which are VERY firm), that was all. I was told that they "do not have triple rooms but could add an extra bed for us". Why advertise "triple" rooms if you don't have them?! This is quite misleading. Additionally, our 'deluxe' room had a view of......a brick wall. Not in my definition of deluxe at all. However, the room was spacious with an excellent bathroom (albeit with a very temperamental shower which went from burning to freezing every 5 seconds).
My overriding concern about the hotel is unfortunately something they cannot change - the location. If you want a quiet, classy area to wander through during you sultry summer holiday evenings, do not book here. It is right on the doorstep of "Malta's party capital" Paceville, which should really be re-named Sleazeville, as it's jam packed with strip bars, fast food outlets and noisy cocktail clubs. It's very crowded in summer and simply not our cup of tea.
So in summary, good hotel (from where I am writing this review as we are here for a few more days) but bad location. Not their fault that I didn't do thorough research, but I hope this review helps those of you who prefer a classier destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta