Have just returned from a couple of days at the Intercontinental, and while I must admit that I really enjoyed my stay, I must admit that for a five star, my expectations were higher.
Let's start with the positives; location is simply great, right in the middle of everything and yet even if my room overlooked the busy street, it is so very well insulated that music, traffic etc. could not be heard from within. The staff, even if in the majority are not Maltese, were extremely pleasant, professional and welcoming. Special compliments to Thai and Maria at Front Desk who seem to work very long hours. Breakfast selection and quality is very good, the gym is massive with very attentive staff and they also offer a full day child care facility, free of charge.
The less positive include an indoor pool at 27 degrees when we all know that for an indoor pool to be adequately heated, it needs to range between 30 - 32 degrees, a bathroom that while being well equipped with supplies it's cleaning left a lot to be desired (check out corners, crevices between shower cubicle and wall etc), bedroom that is not well addressed for any maintenance issues between one client and another such as wall touch ups especially where the beds touch the wall, sofa upholstery that has seen its days and ultimately a very sour experience with the fire alarm! One night the alarm took off at 23.43hrs and was on for a full 2-minutes, fair enough, these things happen! The next night at 23.46hrs, the fire alarm goes off again, stops for a minute and then shrills its sirens for a full 10-minutes from thereon. Perhaps I should have just left the building and followed evacuation procedures but a member of staff passed by the room mumbling it is a false alarm and this is what made us linger. Front Desk did not reply to our calls, no employee came to check our corridor to either put our mind at rest or guide us out of building, and no word of apology the next morning. From a 5-star property, I expected better!
All in all, the negatives will not stop me from returning on a future occassion as if anything, while the hotel has an impersonal feel, perhaps because of its size, I still felt at ease in company of 4 young children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta