“A very pleasant experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Malta

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Scotland
“A very pleasant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I went to Malta with my wife as a 60th birthday treat. I wanted a fairly luxurious hotel in which we could relax. I also wanted a spa so that my wife could avail herself of some treatments.

We chose a club room and this turned out to be a very wise move. The slight extra cost gives you access to the club lounge with complimentary breakfast, free tea, coffee and soft drinks during the day, free afternoon tea, free pre-dinner drinks and free wifi. The lounge was comfortable and never busy and we spent a couple of afternoons there just reading.

We ate in local restaurants so cannot comment on the hotel restaurants.

The room was comfortable with a very large bed, balcony and both bath and shower.

(There is a a potential confusion on the website which lists rates for the Club Intercontinental Room in two versions - Best Flexible Rate and best flexible Rate with Breakfast. This is confusing as the Club Room has complimentary breakfast so why extra for breakfast? On enquiring, I found that the 'with breakfast' option allows you to have the 'normal' breakfast with more choice that the complimentary breakfast. We found the complimentary breakfast perfectly adequate - all the usual continental breakfast items along with cooked items.)

Although the hotel is next to a popular nightlife area and there was a lot of building work in the area, we heard no noise. There are lots of restaurants within easy walking distance and a multiplex cinema on the same street.

The staff were pleasant and attentive. I had mentioned my wife's birthday and on arrival we found complimentary champagne and chocolates in our room.

The spa was a hit with my wife who thought the treatments were very professional.

This was our first visit to Malta and the Intercontinental proved to be a good choice of base.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

I have been to the intercontinental quite a few times in the past couple of years and I have always had a pleasant experience ..(otherwise I would not have gone back) however i just recently spent 1 night there with 3 of my friends and the lack of hospitality from certain members of staff was quite disappointing if I am honest. Our room was perfect as was the breakfast .. (can't say the same for the person who was in charge of taking us to our table! - i have never met such an arrogant person in my life !) The Spa is awesome and the location was perfect for us. I do plan on returning.. however, whereas before I would hands down just book this hotel without checking out any other offers at any other hotels, I will certainly not be doing so anymore. It's such a shame.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pinkmist
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We booked a 4 day stay as a family and were very happy with our stay .

The staff were super ..very welcoming and friendly ,polite and helpful on Reception both day and night . We were there on a bed and breakfast basis and were spoilt for choice at breakfast time ...fresh fruit,yoghurt, cooked English breakfast with a chef making freshly cooked eggs/omelettes/waffles as requested, cooked meats and cheeses,different types of bread and jam, pastries and cereals ......The waiters/waitresses were very friendly and Joseph was lovely ,giving advice about where to go on our trips and talking to us the next day to ask us how we'd got on ..
We ate out for our evening meals though so can't comment on the hotel restaurants in the evening.

Our room was clean and roomy , comfortable bed and a clean bathroom.. we had a lovely view from the room and it was very quiet .We had a connecting room with our daughters room which was also great.
The leisure facilities were great ..The swimming pool was clean and although we didn't have any of the treatments there was a great choice of treatments .
The outdoor pool looked great but wasn't in use ..too cold !
Just across from the hotel was a shopping complex..also a cinema and a bowling complex although we didn't use them ..It wasn't far to walk into the main resort but there was also the local buses and the bus stop was a short walk away .

We had the unfortunate experience of gale force winds and rain during our stay so came back to the hotel earlier one day .Our daughters were a little disappointed that they couldn't watch any of the films without having to pay extra ( 10euros !!) but we managed to keep up with the news with Sky News and CNN ..

My daughter had mentioned that my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we had a lovely surprise when we had a bottle of champagne and a plate of petit fours in our room
We did make the mistake of the girls opening the mini bar and touching the chocolate which then registered as though we had eaten it ..on the TV you can check your bill via the remote and luckily we noticed this ..when we mentioned that the chocolate hadn't been eaten just touched the staff were great and rectified the bill so we didn't have to pay !!
Would love to go back to Malta and would definitely recommend a stay here !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex218
Saint Julian's, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with 3 girlfriends for a girls weekend. Check in was great, very quick. Mayuran was very polite and informative. We hadn't booked breakfast. I asked another member of staff how much it would be, and he advised 10 euros per person. Fab. However, when we went down to breakfast the next day, we were advised quite rudely by Frankline that it was actually 23 euros. I tried to explain what we had been told, but she wasn't interested. Half way through our breakfast, we were munching away and Frankline came and presented us with the bill. 10 minutes later (we were still enjoying our lavish breakfast) she appeared again and asked us quite curtly to sign the paper.. Can we not finish eating first? A little bit of curteousy would not have gone a miss, especially after the unexpected price bump!! We then went back to our room to get a few more hours sleep before our late check out at 14:00 which had been confirmed to us previously. At 12, I received a call from front office informing us that we were late for check out, and "how long were we planning on taking?" Again - a bit disappointing. Lastly, when we went down for checkout we were waiting for an hour until Christopher, a very nice member of staff from the front desk offered to take us to one side and check us out. I explained the breakfast incident to him and he was extremely accommodating and honoured it to us at the rate that was first promised. If it wasn't for Christopher, I probably would have lost faith in the hotel completely, but he restored it for us. Spa - fabulous, quality of the breakfast - amazing. Rooms - top marks. The overall stay was nice, but these little things were very disappointing - especially from a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
brussel, België
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I have just 1 question for all the people who stayed in the intercontinental hotel in st julians:
Last summer, I stayed in another hotel in the neighourhood:
what do you think about the fact that the hotel is located close to the 'noisy and dirty' party street of st georges bay? When i passed this hotel, i wondered where the pool is in this hotel and at the backside of the hotel, there was a lot of noise from contractors who are building other hotels... in that street

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Please bear in mind when reviewing this hotel I am comparing it to the Westin, Juliani and other similarly rated establishments in the area.

Good points:

Check in was quick and friendly and the receptionist escorted me to the room on the 12 th floor in the south block.

Room was a good size, nicely furnished with a small balcony.

Not so good points:

I picked this hotel because they have free wifi. After settling into my room I found I could not connect to the Internet. A nice gentleman from IT came to fix the problem which after calling out for a screwdriver he did by disabling my router, effectively I connected to another room. However, later I discovered that I could not watch TV without a router. The next day the maid reconnected the router so back to no wifi, easily remedied, yes I unplugged the router, this being repeated for my 4 day stay. What they don't tell you is that free wifi is not continuous and I did get fed up of having to keep filling in my credentials for continued ( short term use).

Breakfast although extensive choice and reasonable quality was definitely let down by the shoddy service of their over worked staff, especially so on Sunday.

I had dinner one evening at their Eastern Breeze restaurant and although the food was reasonable ( not as good as Zest at the Juliani) the service was rushed and even though the restaurant was not full I felt they wanted me t leave ASAP after the rapid delivery of 3 courses, I am used to the European model where dinner is more leisurely and relaxed.

A lot of noise from above (scraping furniture) and adjoining rooms where there was a great deal of shouting.

All in all the hotel is ok, but unfortunately for me the negatives outweighed the positives.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Triplalot
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

This hotel cannot do enough for you the staff are excellent the location is super and all the night clubs are adjacent and Baystreet shopping centre is only 150 meters away
Try the club lounge Sonia the Manager cannot do enough for you including the staff nothing is too much trouble always attentive
The Hotel makes you welcome as soon as you enter the front DESK
The fitness freaks can use the GYM and if you can use all the many facilities they you will come home fit
The swimming pool is always clean and the Sauna is new only fitted a few months ago so please try it
I had a rib eye steak in the Saprano and I have never tasted a steak like it
The rooms are always clean and you can have the bed linen changed every day

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#8 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,019 reviews
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!