“Absolutely loved this hotel and the staff!”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in mid-November, as the final leg of a European trip we took for our anniversary. Our stay proved to not only wonderful, but memorable.

From the moment we walked into the hotel, we were treated like royalty. At the front desk, Malcolm, after taking care of some pre-registration items, escorted us up to the Concierge lounge where the beautiful, lovely and very helpful Sonia finished checking us in, which included giving us a personal letter of welcome signed by the General Manager. Sonia advised us of that though we had been assigned a standard room on the ninth floor, we were given complimentary access to the club lounge due to our Platinum status with the hotel brand's loyalty membership program (Priority Club Rewards).

Access to that lounge was perfect for us! Breakfast is served daily for five hours in the morning (beginning at 6am); high tea is from 3pm-5pm, and tapas are served from 5:30pm for two hours. Thais and Melissa - both lounge attendants - were very helpful while we were there, always making sure we were taking tare of. The lounge is on the hotel's top floor, and boasts the most breathtaking views of the hotel's outdoor courtyard, as well as the city and bay area of St Julian's.

During our stay, we were chosen (to our surprise) as two of about a dozen guests to attend a Manager's reception on the Wednesday evening during our stay. Apparently, one or twice a week, the GM and his management team meet with various guests in the hotel's outdoor courtyard / atrium area to get feedback about how their stay is going, etc.. and we were privileged to be chosen to attend. Another free meal and a chance to praise his great staff? Why not?!

On our final night, we ate at the hotel's Eastern Breeze Chinese restaurant. While the food was a bit pricey and service not as fast as we would have liked, our waitress was friendly and personable - which left a good impression on us.

The gym at the hotel is quite a sight: While we did not exercise, we first learned that the hotel had a gym because of the music being played in the gym facility during the day. It was a little loud at times, and almost looks like a disco, with strobe-lights and electronic music pumping out through loud speakers.

Perhaps the most peaceful place in the hotel is the spa - fully equipped with a sauna and steam room. Guests have the option of buying massage or other spa services, or simply using the steam room for free. When we went, there were no crowds, and we did nothing but enjoy ourselves during our blissful moments of serenity.

Based on some of the reviews I read prior to staying at the hotel, I expected the city's youthful club scene to be a distraction while we were at the hotel; but we experienced quite the opposite. While the hotel is in the middle of a party section of the city, and is literally right across the street from an open-air mall and several clubs, we never heard any of the outside music from our room (#936). The quiet and luxurious elegance of our stay was never interrupted even once by any of the activities outside of the hotel.

If there was one sour point of the stay - it relates to the city's bus transportation system. There was a stop about a block from the hotel's front steps, but the routes are fairly unreliable and timing of pick up and drop off is suspect at best. I have to include this in the review for the hotel because we did not have a rental car and relied heavily on the city bus. While the bus is the cheapest option to getting around (especially getting to and from the airport - 35 minutes getting to the hotel, 55 minutes getting to the airport... by bus), it was not very convenient at all. Use the hotel's private car service (Mercedes Benz) to get to and from your desired destinations, if you don't mind paying for it.

Overall - this is an exceptional hotel with an amazingly helpful and considerate staff. The hotel is sophisticated, and has a well-trained staff that thrives on paying attention to detail, and making you - as the guest - feel welcome. (Even the paintings of the mermaids in the lobby "smile" at you).

If you want to have the stay of your life at place you'll never forget, plan your next trip here.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jacobandjune

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Well, if I am writing this review about Malta all over, then I would simplify my description to OUTSTANDING.
If I am writing my own review about Intercontinental Malta, then I would need much more space to note my experience.
I felt at home but through a perspective of vacation. If my sentence is vague, I would clarify by saying that I felt am amongst my family, safe and secure, well served whenever in-house, and enjoying every moment in Malta as a result of the help of the hotel's staff.
It's out of my humane duty, that I note and express my deepest and sole gratitude to Mr. Myuren (Sir, excuse me if I miss spelled your honorable name) at the front desk for all the help he provided regarding a warm and smooth stay, to Mr. Robert at the Concierge for all his support and tips regarding my stay in Malta and where to go, and for his great bare of my unstoppable disturbance of hammered questions regarding the great Maltese culture and points of interest, to Mr. James at the Concierge, again for his support.
To all other staff members, have I known your honorable names, I would list my sincere thanks to all of you each and every single one in person.

I would definitely visit Malta again, and I will only stay at the Intercontinental, even if I wanted to spend more time in Gozo, I will not stay at hotels there. I would rather go and come back daily from Malta for staying at the Intercontinental.

Thank you very much Intercontinental Malta.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Everything was excellent. Front Office Manager - Andrea and his staff were friendly and very helpful. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The service was great. The breakfast was excellent.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed here in a penthouse club suite in June 2011. We arrived on the Friday evening and were greeted with a gin & tonic in the club lounge while they checked us in. The suite was excellent, plenty of space, 2 balconys, one with chairs one with loungers. The hotel also organized a surprise chocolate cake as I was celebrating my 40th birthday. We used the private beach and the pool, and ate in the Asian restaurant. The service we received here was fantastic, restaurant recommendations, nothing was too much trouble. It made for a relaxed, happy and memorable stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights with my family (wife and 2 daughters - aged 2 and 4). Caroline from the front desk and Sonia from the VIP lounge were very accomodating and welcoming. Good location (not on the beach but a short walk) for shopping/restaurants. Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had a very good experience during our stay in Malta. The service was really excelent, so friendly. The rooms were quite comfortable and large. As we travelled with a 1 year old baby, they provided us with a baby cot. The service was very, very kind with the baby. Breakfast was very complete and with a wide range of food dishes. If we come back to Malta again, this would be our first choice for sure!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Pablo A
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental St Julians for a Weekend break three times a Year. The rooms were spacious and the bathroom had everything we could need, with a bath and separate large walk-in shower and the rooms facing over the gardens and pool have a lovely view. There are two good size pools at the hotel, one indoor and one outdoor. We went in May and although it was warm enough to sit on the sun loungers
We also stayed over at this great hotel for the new year,

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!