My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in mid-November, as the final leg of a European trip we took for our anniversary. Our stay proved to not only wonderful, but memorable.
From the moment we walked into the hotel, we were treated like royalty. At the front desk, Malcolm, after taking care of some pre-registration items, escorted us up to the Concierge lounge where the beautiful, lovely and very helpful Sonia finished checking us in, which included giving us a personal letter of welcome signed by the General Manager. Sonia advised us of that though we had been assigned a standard room on the ninth floor, we were given complimentary access to the club lounge due to our Platinum status with the hotel brand's loyalty membership program (Priority Club Rewards).
Access to that lounge was perfect for us! Breakfast is served daily for five hours in the morning (beginning at 6am); high tea is from 3pm-5pm, and tapas are served from 5:30pm for two hours. Thais and Melissa - both lounge attendants - were very helpful while we were there, always making sure we were taking tare of. The lounge is on the hotel's top floor, and boasts the most breathtaking views of the hotel's outdoor courtyard, as well as the city and bay area of St Julian's.
During our stay, we were chosen (to our surprise) as two of about a dozen guests to attend a Manager's reception on the Wednesday evening during our stay. Apparently, one or twice a week, the GM and his management team meet with various guests in the hotel's outdoor courtyard / atrium area to get feedback about how their stay is going, etc.. and we were privileged to be chosen to attend. Another free meal and a chance to praise his great staff? Why not?!
On our final night, we ate at the hotel's Eastern Breeze Chinese restaurant. While the food was a bit pricey and service not as fast as we would have liked, our waitress was friendly and personable - which left a good impression on us.
The gym at the hotel is quite a sight: While we did not exercise, we first learned that the hotel had a gym because of the music being played in the gym facility during the day. It was a little loud at times, and almost looks like a disco, with strobe-lights and electronic music pumping out through loud speakers.
Perhaps the most peaceful place in the hotel is the spa - fully equipped with a sauna and steam room. Guests have the option of buying massage or other spa services, or simply using the steam room for free. When we went, there were no crowds, and we did nothing but enjoy ourselves during our blissful moments of serenity.
Based on some of the reviews I read prior to staying at the hotel, I expected the city's youthful club scene to be a distraction while we were at the hotel; but we experienced quite the opposite. While the hotel is in the middle of a party section of the city, and is literally right across the street from an open-air mall and several clubs, we never heard any of the outside music from our room (#936). The quiet and luxurious elegance of our stay was never interrupted even once by any of the activities outside of the hotel.
If there was one sour point of the stay - it relates to the city's bus transportation system. There was a stop about a block from the hotel's front steps, but the routes are fairly unreliable and timing of pick up and drop off is suspect at best. I have to include this in the review for the hotel because we did not have a rental car and relied heavily on the city bus. While the bus is the cheapest option to getting around (especially getting to and from the airport - 35 minutes getting to the hotel, 55 minutes getting to the airport... by bus), it was not very convenient at all. Use the hotel's private car service (Mercedes Benz) to get to and from your desired destinations, if you don't mind paying for it.
Overall - this is an exceptional hotel with an amazingly helpful and considerate staff. The hotel is sophisticated, and has a well-trained staff that thrives on paying attention to detail, and making you - as the guest - feel welcome. (Even the paintings of the mermaids in the lobby "smile" at you).
If you want to have the stay of your life at place you'll never forget, plan your next trip here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta