“Functional, wifi available and reasonable place to stay”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed recently on business for a week. The hotel is functional, clean and has all the facilities needed. You have to argue your case individually to gain wifi access free of charge at check in. So long as you can prove you are there on business.

The location is great if you are a tourist, very noisy area and you can hear the noise from the local bars at night in your room. Should you be entertaining clients, lots of restaurants all walking distance and you are close to the casino's.

Breakfast is a busy affair in the morning, buffet style to allow for mass catering. A tip, take breakfast early to avoid the mass crowds in a morning. I have stayed many times at this hotel. Not my main choice, as there are others better suited in the local area. However peak season, there rates are reasonable if you negotiate.

Also never take a white taxi at the entrance at the hotel, they are a complete rip off, overcharge and have no meters installed. Organise a local driver if you have the contacts to do so. Take the bus to the business district to Selima, Gzira or Valletta if you need to attend meetings.

I never used the dining facilities at the hotel in the evening, due to the large variety of local choice in the area. Check out is fine and no problems.

Breakfast is a busy affair in the morning, buffet style to allow for mass catering. A tip, take breakfast early to avaoid the mass crowds in a morning. I have stayed many times at this hotel. Not my main choice, as there are others better suited in the local area. However peak season, there rates are reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,162)

Reviewed August 8, 2011

We arrived early and the woman at the front desk was able to put us into a room earlier then the check-in time. That was really nice of her. We are off to a good start!!!

Our room was really big and we were given a balcony that was on the corner overlooking the pool and the water. One morning we were able to meet our neighbors and had a nice long chat with them. Glad they were nice.

The area has everything to offer...shopping mall, bowling alley, food, bars, movie theaters!

The hotel has a nice little beach front spot...a simple and short walk down the street and you are on a small beach with water. Or if you want a pool then head up to the hotel roof. The pool is salt water and after a few hours your skin is so soft it feels like you have been at the spa all day.

On our last day there I was a little grossed out. Some little boy walked his sister to the pool, took off her bottoms and showed her how to wash her butt in the pool water. The staff seemed to ignore what was going on. I was sitting near a bunch of British people and they looked at me and said, "They would never allow that in America!" They were also grossed out too and were surprised that the parents sat there and said nothing. I guess this must be acceptable for them. One of the British guests that was sitting near me said that the hotel sells day passes to locals and that is what happens. I was a little upset to hear that anyone could buy a day pass to the pool...I was then wondering why I paid so much to stay here as a guest if anyone could buy there way into the pool area.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants...this hotel has about 7 different choices and all of the pictures and menus looked amazing. But we never eat in our hotel...we always try to venture out and try new things...it makes it more exciting.

I also saw a great verbal fight between the bartender and a pool guest. She was asking for a glass of ice and he told her no. She then made up some excuse about why she needed it. And the bartender said, "He listen to me...you can not bring your own alcohol in here and make your own drinks...you are not even trying to hide the bottle...stop coming over here and trying to get me to give you ice!" I was like wow that was exciting and I looked over and there was this large group about 10 feet from the bartender rocking a Johnny Walker Black Bottle. I need some friends like that!!! Ha!!!

I also recommend the local bus...we bought a bus pass and the bus stop was just up the road. We had heard horror stories about the new bus service but it was perfect for us.

The gym her is also really nice too...it felt like one of those 80's workout clubs...techno music playing...dark and black lights. Some of the treadmills needed some work but they had 20 to choose from.

Also be careful with your kids by the pool. Our daughter cut both of her big toes at different times. It was really bad. The towel guy had a first aid kit and was able to give me Iodine and band aids. Other parents were telling me that they had seen other kids cut there toes too at the pool. I wish I knew what it was...I think it might be the white plastic grates on the edge of the pools but I am not sure.

1  Thank Antkneee
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Went with my wife and 3 kids (Aged 8,4,2)The concierge service was fantastic. the rooms were very spaciuos and despite being in the middle of an area with a busy night life area was very quite. The staff were very helpful at reception and at the poolside and gym. they has a kid's club which was available for hotel residents at no extra price with good friendly staff and alot of activities. The pool was clean and not too deep so the kids could feel safe. They had a Club lounge which was available with certain rooms (slightly more expensive ! but worth the extra cost) which provided free breakfast, drinks all through the day, snacks and au d'oeurves in the afternoo and pre-dinner drinks. There was also internet access and the room was cleaned every day.

1  Thank Debouchi
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My two teenage kids and I were holidaying with Reviewer Fiona 1863 ( see review of 1st August) for 2 weeks in July. We were the unfortunates whose room had the aroma of urine and not enough beds! I would agree with all Fiona said but would add a few points (we hadn't been to the hotel, or Malta before).
Although there is a small bay just down the road, this isn't immediately apparent when arriving at or staying in the hotel. It is located on a very busy street (thus my Picadilly Circus reference) and it struck me as more of a business hotel than a seaside holiday hotel. The pool is located on the roof and it is nice enough but there is no breakfasting outside overlooking the sea, as one might normally expect from a seaside holiday- to be fair we had quite a good half board deal, but that meant dining in the hotel's main restaurant which was indoors. Breakfast was also served in that indoor restaurant so I felt a little disappointed about that. We don't get much opportunity for al fresco dining in the UK, so it's something I always look forward to on holiday.
I agree with Fiona that the half board buffet food was surprisingly good. Hotel buffets can often be dull and predictable but here they did at least try to vary the menu with a different theme each night. However the lunchtime food at the pool was horrendous...slimy chicken wraps and chips tasting of nasty over used oil....most unpleasant!
My initial complaints about our room were not well received at first by reception staff. I was told they had no other rooms and could not do anything about it...other than futile attempts to use air freshener to mask the problem...( I think the smell was in fact coming form the air conditioning rather than the plumbing).but once the Customer Relations lady, Holly, took over, things did improve and she was indeed very sweet and very helpful. I do however feel that some parts of the hotel could do with a refurb...not least the rooms. They were clean and the maid service was good, but they are pretty tired looking I felt.

We visited a few of the nearby hotels on our holiday...the Westin Dragonara was very nice...much more of a holiday hotel, as was the Hilton. I haven't compared prices so they may be significantly more expensive...in which case it wouldn't be a fair comparison. But if you are staying at the Inter-Continental, a walk for morning coffee to these other hotels is very pleasant! If I return to Malta I would go for the Westin.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank JChisley
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our second visit with a party of 7, 3 adults and 4 students. We went 3 years ago and had a great time. Our arrival was awful - the room 'for 3' contained one double bed and smelt strongly of urine. The other bedrooms, despite early requests, were not close together. One also smelt very musty and damp. It took some time to be moved to a suitable room - the guest relations lady was excellent. She tried hard to make amends for a very disappointing start and kept an eye on us during our fortnight. The food is much improved and very good, the staff are universally friendly and helpful (apart from in the Sports bar, where the young bar staff haven't got a clue).we had a very good holiday after a shaky start.

2  Thank Fiona186386
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Booked at 11.30pm, arrived at 11am the following morning in desperation from an awful mistake we'd made with our previous choice of accomodation. Room was made available immediately (well before standard times) as we were tired and bedraggled. Beds for the children were set up with fruit bowl, water etc in no time at all, absolutely first class service.
Cleanliness was without question, towels were refreshed at least daily, beds changed daily if required.
The Club lounge was exceptional - friendly, helpful (advice, taxis, all administration, even just general chat) inclusive breakfast, afternoon tea and pre-dinner drinks (branded alcohol, not local unknowns) we feel was good value.
Pool was clean, lots of available sunbeds, regular drink/snack service again nothing too much trouble.
Beach club was tight, but usually had beds available, and the blue flag beach was in a lovely sheltered bay. At night transformed into a beach restaurant - very romantic and aiming for a first class service, although a little disappointed with this as our expectations by this time were very high.
Restaurants within the hotel reasonably priced and very nice food - lots of variety, friendly service and made a real fuss of the children - we often flexed the menu choices and were always accomodated. the buffet restaurant was a bit busy and although the food was good, it was a rugby scrum to access it.
Location concerned us a little - with a lap dancing bar around the corner, the Hard Rock cafe across the road and known as the "entertainment mecca of Malta" we dreaded going out of the tranquility of the hotel. It wasn't so bad, although it is true that in the heat of the day, the side alleys smell and the local council/business owners ought to clean the roads better. I was security conscious, but it was by no means threatening.
Best bits?
It's difficult to say - everything was good! Concierge service, club lounge, room space and standard, silent windows(!).
Worst bits?
Probably the location with the shops and bars so close, but it's not the end of the world to walk through people having fun and that's what it seemed to be most of the time.

2  Thank Mumdad2boys
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The hotel itself is adequate, gives most services expected from a 5* hotel. with spacious rooms Don't expect to have any serious action and entertainment within the hotel except for some live "elevator music" in the dining room and external restaurants. The food in th restuarant (we had half board) is adequate for breakfast and generous but not of a very high quality in the venings. The swimming pool is impossible for people who would like to swin, irregularly shaped and very shalow with sea water and filled with kids playing. The internal pool which is advertised was closed for renovations. The "private beach" was npt so private and you have to walk in the extremely busy main street to get there, it is a restricted to small sandy area beyong a marina, so the water are relatively unpleasant and dirty and do not remind the clear beaches elsewhere in Malta.. The environment of the hotel is extremely busy with cars and flocks of mostly youngsters getting to the bar district just besides the hotel. Nothing like a quite relaxing vacation you would want t have..

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!