“Lots going for it, a few niggles”

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Generally, we had a good experience here. The room was large and had a great sea view. The balcony was large and sheltered and caught the sun from around 4pm. The bed was large and comfortable. Our only criticism was that in places it seemed in need of redecoration, particularly the bathroom where shelves had been moved leaving unfilled holes and sealant missing from bath side. The hotel has three outdoor and an indoor swimming pool which were excellent and in sun for most of the day. The breakfast provided was superb. Although the hotel in St George's Bay is beside Paceville, Malta's nightlife area, we found it peaceful and used the excellent restaurants between this hotel and its sister, Corinthia Marina: Caviar and Bull good but expensive; Vinotheque old value. And Maltese wine the surprise of our visit - very palatable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel V
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am glad to read that you had a good experience and that you liked your room, which was large and had a great sea view and a large comfortable bed.

I am also happy that you enjoyed our swimming pool areas and our extensive variety of dining facilities all around the Resort. It is good that you tried and enjoyed our excellent Maltese wine.

I apologise for the shortcomings in the bathroom and I will ask our Maintenance Manager to ensure that the necessary preventive maintenance is carried out at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I recently stayed at the Corinthia Hotel St georges Bay Malta an must say I was very impressed. The hotel is situated on St Georges Bay a quiet bay with a few hotels and a few restaurants. The hotel itself is done to a high standard which is noticeable from the first moment you set foot in the lobby. The rooms are spacious with a good view but most importantly its quiet. The food in the restaurants is also very good and the hotel even has a club level with club lounge where they offer breakfast, free drinks and snacks throughout the day. Overall a very good hotel for business and families, far enough away from the built up cities to relax but also close enough if you want to go and enjoy for the day. Airport by taxi takes about 25minutes and costs 20-25 euros.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Bydand75

Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy to read that you were impressed with our Hotel and that you loved the quiet location, our high level of standard, our spacious rooms with the lovely views, the Executive Lounge facilities and the excellent food.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We decided to revisit Malta this April after a 20 year break and booked flights and the hotel as part of package with BA Holidays. I had researched the hotel options on Trip Advisor beforehand and the Corinthia stood out. On arrival we were not disappointed!

Our room was exceptionally large compared to other hotels that I have recently visited and was in good condition with a very comfortable super king sized bed. The bathroom could do with some slight updating but was perfectly functional and clean. There was a large flat screen TV with various local and international channels available. The balcony looked straight out over St.Georges Bay and allows for views all the way down the east coast to historic Valleta.

We ate at various restaurants on the hotel complex throughout our four night stay but I have to say that the best for quality of food and value were Henry J Beans and Da Mariana. Unfortunately we didn't get time to try the Grill 3301 but have heard good things from other guests. Our only disappointing dinning experience was a buffet on the Friday night in the main restaurant which was significantly overpriced for what was presented and we would probably not eat dinner there again should we return. That said the breakfast served in the same venue was always good so it might have been an off night...

I highly recommend the spa and lido areas and used both the indoor and outdoor pools. There is also a beach of sorts which opens up during high season. All the outdoor areas are kept clean but I was slightly displeased to return from a dip in the pool to find that unopened bottles of water stored in the shade under the sunbeds had been removed when the beds where clearly being used and think a slightly more common sense approach should be taken by staff - it was after +25oc!

I must mention that the Concierge team are first class and very helpful. We took advantage of the hotel's shuttle bus that they arranged for us as well as other travel arrangements.

We will return to the hotel as we feel that overall it does offer a very good value but there is room for improvement in some areas.

Room Tip: Try and book a deluxe sea view room
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NvT1115

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am happy that you found your room to be exceptionally large with a very comfortable super king size bed and lovely views, a clean and functional bathroom and that you enjoyed the large flat screen TV.

It is very pleasing to read that you experienced a number of our various restaurants and that Henry J Bean’s and Da Marina were your favourite. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations at the Fra Martino Buffet, this is very unusual and I will speak to the Head Chef to see what went wrong.

I am glad that you enjoyed our Spa and Lido areas and I apologise that the waiter removed your water before you were ready. I will inform the F & B Manager to advise the Staff of this incident to ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

I will thank the Concierge Team personally for giving you first class service and for being helpful. I am happy that you made use of our complimentary shuttle bus and that you found it useful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel very soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at Corinthia St. George's Bay as it was included in a holiday package I happened to win! All seemed very classy at first. But unfortunately it ended up being only avarage. We enjoyed our stay mostly, but I wouldn't pay for the list price! What was wrong? Mostly the service. Front desk wasn't too friendly, nor the personel in the spa/fitness center, nor the towel boy by the pool are, nor the girl at the pool bar. I can't say we actually got bad service, but it just wasn't good. You expect certain things when the hotel is highly rated. Room was cozy and clean but a bit worn out. Pool area was nice and clean as well and the buffet breakfast was ok. Only thing that actually work ok was the concierge service. Also we felt this hotel is a bit isolated, though the St. Julian's turist complex is only some 5-10 mins walk from there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay and for letting me know the problem you had with the lack of friendliness of our personnel. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is truly not our usual standard. In fact, we usually get complimented in most of our reviews about the great service and friendliness which our Staff provide.

On a positive note, I am happy that you found our Hotel to be clean and the pool areas nice and also clean. It is pleasing to read that you were very satisfied with our Concierge service.

We value your business very much and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay. I sincerely hope that you will give us the chance in the future to prove that we can do better than your experience suggests.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed 7 nights in this marvelous hotel as I had organize a meeting there.
The staff is exceptional and cannot do enough for you, the meeting room facilities are more than excellent with daylight and functional. We had a great meeting and highly recommend this hotel if you foresee a meeting in Malta.
The location is a PLUS too, close to Paceville, Sliema, Valletta and by the sea and I would really consider this hotel as my next holiday resort. Rooms are very spacious and the hotel is very clean - hotel rooms, meeting rooms, gardens, swimming pool, spotless.
One word thank you Corinthia St George's bay, I and my team had a great time !
CU you soon

Room Tip: Location !!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

It is very rewarding to read that you had a marvellous stay and that you liked the Conference Facilities and the exceptional service provided by our Staff.

I am glad that you found our rooms to be spacious and the bedrooms, meeting rooms, gardens and swimming pool areas spotless.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel very soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Very Comfortable Room, excellent breakfast. Staff are very nice too :) We stayed for a weekend and the location is very central so no time wasted in travelling to the beach. Although very close to the area where pubs and clubs are the room was very quite and we enjoyed restful sleeps.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

I am happy that you found your room very comfortable and that you found our staff to be very nice, our breakfast to be excellent and our location very central, but very quiet at the same time.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

After a 3 nights stay at Intercontinental , we decided to stay for our last 2 nights in Malta here.

We had booked 2 executive sea view rooms and were checked in at the executive club lounge on the 4th floor. One of the rooms was upgraded to a beautiful Deluxe Suite with a panoramic view of the Mediterranean Sea.

The rooms are very well maintained. I found them much more luxurious than the club rooms at Intercontinental. The view of the sea was amazing. The bathrooms though are very small for this category. They have a very outdated look. Hot boiling water gushed out in the bathtub despite the knob being on the cold side. They are in urgent need of renovation.
But , in comparison to Intercontinental , where you can manage just a glimpse of the sea and a basic amenity like water bottles is not kept in the club rooms , the rooms at Corinthia are worth the money.

The executive club lounge is open only till 19:00 hrs. A little disappointing considering that Intercontinental club lounge used to be open till 22:00 hrs. The range of alcohol is underwhelming , just a few bottles of wine. Intercontinental Malta had a wonderful range of expensive alcohol and they used to make cocktails too. Plus , the staff there gave personal attention to each and every guest. Not like the "self-service" concept here. Plus the cocktail hours at Intercontinental are for 2 hours unlike the 1 hour here , after which the lounge shuts down.
But , on the contrary , Corinthia serves beer the whole day. The snacks in the evening are much much much better than Intercontinental. Loved the chicken pies and Sushi. Delicious indeed.

The breakfast at the lounge is satisfactory. They give a menu for special orders too. We liked the omelettes and the pancakes.

Another disappointing aspect is the attitude of the porters. When we arrived , the porter kept looking that we are taking out our luggage on our own and strolling it inside too. But he kept standing , and did not even bother to volunteer. The moment , he came to know through the front desk that we are staying at the executive floor , he came smiling towards us. But by then we had told a different guy to help us with the luggage.

In totality , I would prefer staying here over Intercontinental as the location on the waterfront makes you feel that you are holidaying close to the Mediterranean unlike Intercontinental which is tucked inside the concrete jungle.

I wish the hotel improvises on some aspects so that we can look forward to an amazing trip next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Puhup_Verma

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our rooms to be well maintained with lovely views and the Deluxe Suite beautiful.

I have noted your suggestions about the Executive Lounge and will discuss this with the Food & Beverage Manager to see where we can improve.

I will also speak to the Head Concierge to make sure that the Porters give a five star service to all our guests, at all times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!