“Certainly not 5 star”

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Having just spent one month travelling Europe we were looking forward to a bit of luxury in my husbands country. He had previously stayed at the corinthia and our first night was at the corinthia palace and spa and that was wonderful. However same cannot be said of st George's Bay. I booked this three months ago when my husband returned from his business trip to Malta. Upon our arrival check in took an extremely long time, the room we were given was overlooking the carpark and garbage bins and extremely noisy and we were given two single beds, our complaints were met with "sorry it is a full house" even though I booked a superior room three months previously!
I had to go to reception to request a change of rooms, the second room was no better, the wind was howling down th corridor making it impossible to sleep, finally on the third go we got a lroom with a sea view as requested however, two single beds again which they put together, but this did not help much as during the night they would slide apart and we would end with a gap between the two beds. The air con did not work properly, our room had a terrible musty smell which we were unable to find out what it was until the second last night we were told the carpet had been wet and that left a smell, admittedly they did offer us an upgrade at that time but as we had one night left, we couldn't be bothered packing and unpacking for one night! As others have said the breakfast was very ordinary, coffee took three goes before we were given a lukewarm pot, rather ordinary food, plates not cleared from the table ,we had to ask for water. The toilet needed all my strength to try to flush it, water pressure quite low, the lighting in the room is so dim, you could sleep with the lights on and it would not make much difference. This is definitely not a five star hotel. One positive is the staff , most were very friendly. I am not too sure what has happened here, but the service rooms and food definitely are not of the quality they used to be. The location is good but this is definitely not value for the money it costs to stay here. We had travelled all through Europe and I must say I was very disappointed with the hotel and will not be staying here again . To top it off there are cats wandering all around the hotel around the pool area and all the outside dining areas i. cannot believe how they allow this to happen, people were dining, patting the cats and then going inside to get their buffet breakfast, i was totally appalled! During the night the cats howl and fight and i had to shut the balcony door to drown out their noise! My husband has family here and usually comes every year and stays with the corinthia and was told by the manager in June to contact him to book our holiday In September and he would look after us. If this is looking after us, I am very very disappointed to say the least. This hotel needs not only a total refurbishment but a wake up of management!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room overlooking the carpark or restaurants as they Are very busy.
2  Thank Anna B
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I was disappointed to read that your check-in took a long time and that you did not like the view of the first room which was allocated to you.

I am sorry that we could only allocate you a twin room with the beds joined together. Where possible, we do endeavour to allocate double bedded rooms whenever they are requested.

Unfortunately, the condensation from the air conditioning unit when the balcony doors are left open while the air conditioning is on, causes a leak which results in the carpet getting wet, hence the musty smell. Our new Executive Housekeeper will be addressing this issue in the coming weeks. We do have a Preventive Maintenance Programme in place to ensure, whenever possible, that we eliminate any leaks. I shall also ask my Chief Engineer to check the issues you raised with regards to the toilet flushing, the low water pressure and the lighting in the room.

I apologise for the service you received at Breakfast and I can assure you that my Food & Beverage Manager and my Head Chef will be addressing this matter.

On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you were happy with the friendliness of our Staff.

We value your business very much and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay. I sincerely hope that you will give us the chance in the future to prove that we can do better than your experience suggests.

There are newer reviews for Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Visited for a 3 day conference and is a perfect venue and location. The staff were helpful and welcoming - it started at the airport with the car that was sent to pick us up - there's a great tip, ask the hotel to send a car - it is usually cheaper than getting a taxi and a much mor pleasurable experience.

My room was clean and had everything a needed - usually rooms don't have wifi but I did. The bathroom was looking a little tired but clean. Breakfasts were to look forward to. Finally the swimming pools and outside terraces first class.

My only (minor) grumble was that the late bar took a while to serve drinks

Room Tip: Look to get an executive room if you can - floors 4 and 5
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy that you consider our Hotel the perfect venue for your 3-day conference.

It is pleasing to hear that you liked your room and its cleanliness and complimentary WiFi, our large buffet breakfast, the pool areas and the outside terraces as well as our location and airport transfer service.

I apologise for the slow service in the Pearl Lounge. I have asked the Food and Beverage to ensure that we are better manned to avoid such incidents in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel today, and I have never written a review of any hotel ever, but our experience this last week has "got my dander up" and hence here is my first.
I have to agree with other reviews of this Hotel. It is in a nice spot and has a lovely pool area and other rooms, we had a nice room with a sea view. It was on the outside of the hotel with the Radisson Blu on our left but definitely a nice room with a good sea view. I thought the room was quite well appointed; beds were comfy, AC worked ok but perhaps a bit noisy as others have said, but I didn't find that too much of a problem. The bathroom was ok I suppose; more functional rather than spectacular. The force of the shower was disappointing but it did the job; just!
But the service (or lack of it) provided by some of the staff was nothing short of laughable really. As already pointed out by others, at breakfast, the inability to ask and provide tea or coffee (with milk) which wasn't just a half-empty jug of lukewarm slightly brown water, a table set fully for 2 people (including teaspoons and "working" salt and pepper pots) was way beyond the staff every day we were there.
Apart from the first day, from then on we had to ask for coffee, sometimes several times, sometimes we got coffee (of various weak strains) and no milk. We ate on the outside terrace for the first 6 of our 7 days, and thought on our last morning to try our luck inside; but that turned out to be no better as one of the chefs had to get our coffee in the end as no waiting staff came anywhere near us.
Others have suggested that the hotel appears to be "obsessed" with it's corporate customers and certainly on most mornings a lot of the staff were involved in duties for setting up for the day's many extra-curricular functions. And it is my evidence that this was at the expense of providing a decent service for us "bread and butter" customers.
I agree with others that the breakfast food lacked choice and was unimaginative (certainly the hot food was). The fresh fruit stand was good, but again as others have said, the standard and the fruits on offer varied greatly each day. But generally it was good. If fried eggs were on offer then I didn't see them but maybe I didn't look hard enough.
We also found the service in Henry J Beans and the Da Marina outlets was inconsistent and in the latter we had to ask several times and wait 20 mins for a white coffee, and then (yes you've guessed it!) it came without any milk !!
We tried the Grill 3301 one night and it was good, but whether it was 100 quid good (after the 10% hotel discount) I'm not sure. Service was good though, but they were hardly overrun with punters that night.
Lastly, and again this has been mentioned, we had all and sundry knocking on our door, and usually around 6pm (when I thought we would be safe) asking various things, such as, to ask if we had used the minibar, if our minibar needed anything in it, if we wanted the turn-down service (at 6pm???, she would have had to make the bed before turning it down at that time !!), if we needed anything else.... it really was completely OTT. I might as well have fitted a catflap to the room door so they could just come straight in without knocking, as most of them just came in anyway using their own key. And then to cap it all we got charged for using 3 items out of the minibar and yet we never used it !!
We went to the sister hotel Corinthia Palace last year and that was a nice hotel but in a quiet place, but the service was first class. The St George was, I thought, a nicer hotel but the service was such that I doubt we would return.
I'll get off my soapbox now and have a lie down !!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay and for letting me know about the problem you had with the quality of service and our product. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I was disappointed to read about your experience in some of our Food and Beverage Outlets and I can assure you that, together with the Food & Beverage Manager and the Head Chef, we will address the short-comings you raised.

I will also review with the Head Chef, the choices we offer, especially during Breakfast, as we pride ourselves of having one of the best Breakfasts in Malta.

Please rest assured that we treat all our guests alike, whether they are here for business or pleasure.

I shall also be asking my new Executive Housekeeper if she can review the evening turndown service, in order that we keep the disruption to our guests to a minimum.

On a final note, can you please let me know whether you were refunded the charge for the mini bar items which you did not use, because I would like to make sure that you did not pay for items you did not consume.

On a positive note, I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our lovely pool area, our location, your room with its sea view, the comfort of the Corinthia bed and the quality of food at the Grill 3301 Terrace.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed here three nights for business. The hotel staff is really friendly and welcoming. Room was totally clean and it was very well maintained every day. The breakfast was really good with fresh waffles. We had the best meals at Malta in the restaurants that locate in the hotel area. This hotel is located in peaceful area, but only a 5 min walk to Peaceville restaurants and nightlife.

Room Tip: Sea view does not necessarily mean view to the pool area. If you want a view to the pools, ask for i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room, its cleanliness, our lavish buffet breakfast, our various award winning dining facilities, our location and the friendliness of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I booked 3 nights and two rooms this hotel for having a luxury long weekend together with a friend. However I was very disappointed with the service and the room. The check-in process was real bad: first the staff totally ignored me. When I asked if I could check in and presented the email confirmation, I was told that there was no booking under my name and he gave me the blame for having booked two separated rooms. Although my email correspondences with the hotel reservation during the booking process should make no doubts that I booked two rooms. It was peak time for check-in around 2-3 pm, there was only one person handled the check-in, while there were four guests waiting for check-in or other inquiries. Other time of the day, we saw several people talking inside of the reception desk, obviously had nothing to do. When I finally got the room, it had no sea view, but a view to a small piece of water with 2 boats, despite my booking should be an upgrading to a sea-view executive room! After some tough negotiation and two hours later, I was given another room with proper sea view.
My wish (which was also promised as a part of the package of my room category) of later check-out was lost in the system. When I wanted to confirm this on the last day (with the belief that the agreed later check out time was noted), the receptionist was unfriendly.
The concierge service was disorganized and disappointing. A week prior to our arrival, the airport pick-up service was booked. However, upon our arrival there was no-one holding our names as promised. After 2 telephone calls and further 20 min., the driver arrived. There is only one concierge seemed to be able to answer questions about sightseeing or booking trips etc.
On our last evening, we had dinner in The Grill, which was the finest restaurant of the hotel. It took three telephone calls to the reception before a table was booked for me. In the restaurant, the food was well made. However, the staff seemed to be in a hurry for us to leave the restaurants around 10 pm, in a Mediterranean restaurant!
The bed was comfortable. However, the air condition system is noisy, so it had to be switched off for being able to sleep. The chairs in the room and on the balcony were old and uncomfortable. The toilet flushing system needs to be repaired.
The Spa service was good---all the staff are professional and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank globaltrotte

Thank your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I am naturally disappointed with the shortcomings you have experienced and as stated in our personal correspondence, we will be dealing with the issues you listed here at the Hotel.

On a positive note, I am very glad to read that you were happy with the service at the Spa and you found the Spa Staff to be professional and friendly.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited this hotel in July for a family holiday. I had upgraded a room for my husband and myself and booked a double for my son. When we got there they kindly upgraded my son but unfortunately our sea view was a sea view with the car park between us and the sea. Not pleasant and not worth the upgrade. Our room was clean but issues included a double sheet which did not fit the king sized bed, a toilet flush which took all of one's strength to flush and the shower screen that creaked very loudly - why didn't any of the staff recommend a squirt of WD40? We understand that the hotel was overdue an upgrade.
When I queried about the view, I was told to come down at 7.00am to try and sort it - mmmm not sure about that suggestion. We were moved to other rooms two days later.
The rooms definitely needed upgrading, there were marks and dents in the walls/doors - I don't watch TV whilst I'm away but even I know that hotels really should have flat screen TVs. The water glasses were not changed each day so we had dirty glasses, coffee spoons that we used were not replaced, tea and coffee also not replaced when used.
The biggest area of complaint though was breakfast. For a five star hotel I thought that the breakfast was poor and unimaginative. However, the service for breakfast was really nothing short of dreadful. We stayed in the hotel for a week - I don't think that there was one day that we were given tea/coffee without asking for it twice (one day we waited 20 mins). Every day I had to go to other tables to get cutlery and cups from other tables as tables were only half laid. I watched as the staff walked past a dirty table in numerous occasions, empty handed, but not one of them cleared the table for the whole time we spent having breakfast. We asked for boiled eggs, and then asked again and by the time the came out, they were hard boiled. I would strongly suggest that the managers put in mystery shoppers during the breakfast period - nice staff but the service was awful.
The issue of asking for things but not responding unfortunately was a theme for the hotel. Food ordered in the restaurants came out wrong, I asked over a period of three days to have foam pillows - I gave up in the end.
The concierge service was slightly disappointing in respect of their knowledge. I asked for them to show me on a map where the main sites in Valletta were, but they were marked incorrectly and I don't understand that when Malta has an extensive and well used bus service, why was a bus timetable not available?
Where I will state the positive is with the extremely lovely staff - who were so nice that sometimes one just had to forgive the shortcomings but that in itself does not justify the five star tag. The pool area was also very good - lovely swimming pools, extremely clean and nice touches such as coming round with free drinks and ice cold towels.
We were invited, not sure how or why, to the General Manager's drinks party where he said he welcomed feedback. Well here it is, I hope you listen

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mang0jam

Thank you for letting me know of the problem you had with the room you were allocated and the other issues with our product and some aspects of the service you received. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I am sorry that you were not happy with the view of the first room which you were allocated. Since we have several different sea view aspects to the building, it is a matter of personal opinion which one you prefer. I was pleased that during your stay, you were able to move to another room with a view which was to your liking.

I will review with the Head Chef, the choices we offer, especially during Breakfast, as we pride ourselves of having one of the best Breakfasts in Malta.

I am pleased to inform you that during the month of August we have upgraded our TV system which includes flat screen TVs in all the rooms as well as free Wi-Fi.

I have asked my Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to check the issues you had with your room and bathroom. We do have a Preventive Maintenance Programme in place in order to eliminate these matters as much as possible.

On a positive note, I am very glad to read that you found our staff to be extremely lovely and you enjoyed our pool areas and their cleanliness, as well as the complimentary offers by the pool.

We do hold a GMs Cocktail Reception once a week for our guests as this gives us the opportunity to get to know our customers better and hear their feedback, which helps us deliver the best quality of service possible. I can assure you that we do take the feedback of our customers very seriously and we will implement the necessary changes to improve our service based on your comments.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We visited Malta for the first time to celebrate our ruby anniversary and fortunately chose the Corinthia. We have just returned from a most relaxing ten days.The staff were as accommodating and pleasant as any hotel we have stayed in anywhere in the world.
Nothing was too much trouble for them. The buffet in Fra Martino was excellent quality every evening.We tried Bar 3661 ,a Resteraunt attached to the hotel but preferred the buffet where staff were very knowledgeable ,particularly Arthur for wine recommendations and information about Malta.
We were upgraded on arrival and used the executive lounge where we came across Sheona a real star of the hotel.For a young girl to have such high quality inter personal skills is a testament to the training and expectations of this hotel.
The numerous pools,multiple loungers and good weather ensured we were able to relax and enjoy our anniversary and recharge batteries before work rears its head.On our departure Yvonne in the executive lounge ensured the impression of quality service and attention to detail was a strong at the end of our stay as it had been throughout.
We have clearly found a hotel chain that we will return to.

Room Tip: If possible find a room on the fourth or fifth floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I am very proud to read that we helped make your ruby anniversary a truly memorable one and that our employees were accommodating and pleasant. I will personally thank Arthur, Sheona and Yvonne for taking care of you so well.

It is very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our buffet in the Fra Martino, our magnificent pool facilities and the upgrade to the Executive Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!