“Almost a very good but needs improvement!”

Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“Almost a very good but needs improvement!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would have loved to rate this higher, and to be honest it really is between an average and a very good but that rating doesn’t exist!
Firstly with the positives - the Staff are very attentive and helpful and I would rate their help and assistance as excellent. The room was nice (quite dated and generic like most big hotels) and the air con was great in the middle of August when it was scorching hot. The rooms were always cleaned to a very good standard and our sea view balcony was lovely. The breakfast buffet and the staff in the kitchen and waiters and waitresses were great, cannot fault them.
However the negatives were things that we noticed such as one late afternoon I wanted to order room service and noticed that each time you order room service you must pay 5 Euros for the 'service'. The TV channels were a good variety, however to watch a film this would cost you 15 euros! Is that normal, usually its half of that? The swimming pools were quite nice, however the kids pool was a bit of a walk and fairly small and not too impressive. We would eat at the Pool Bar restaurant most lunch times, their pizzas are fantastic however the quality of their salads (pls avoid) was disappointing and shocking. You literally pay 7 euros for some old iceberg lettuce, not the quality you would expect to see in any restaurant.
Now for more general info, the location is good for bars, restaurants and Valletta. The beach is not very nice and dirty (it's a city beach so that’s to be assumed I guess).
I would like to rate this as very good but there were just a few too many things that were irritating for a 4* star hotel. The Staff really make this hotel, the rest needs improvement…

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NajwaandSonny
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for the constructive feedback pertaining to your recent stay at our Hotel. Your observations are currently being discussed at Management level.
Alternatively, it's of great satisfaction to note that our team members did make a difference during your stay with us.

Meanwhile, please do not hesitate to contact me directly in the event that any family members or friends plan to visit the Maltese Islands.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Finnish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at the hotel from July 28 to August 11. We had a superior triple room on the 4th floor with seaview. The location of the hotel and the sea view from the balcony was fantastic. The hotel is close to Pacevile with many English schools, young students, bars, discos and shops but fortunately not too close.The hotel with the Corinthia sister hotel has a long beach with plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. The both hotels have 5 nice swimming pools but we preferred swimming in the sea.
We liked the Pool Bar and Italian Marina reastaurants which serve good food and have nice view of the Bay. The rooms are nice, quite big, well equipped. WiFi in the rooms is a big plus.
We did appreciate the staff work. They are very courteous and nothing is much trouble for them. We would highly recommend to everyone who wants to have a relaxed holiday in Malta.
Definitely one of the best hotels and locations here.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room preferrably on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bran S
Thank you for your review and for recommending our Hotel.
It is truly a pleasure to note that both our location and services exceeded your expectations.

Should you have any family members or friends visiting the Maltese Islands please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Marina Beach Resort & Spa is a holiday resort with all of the necessary facilities required for such a place. There are a number of dining and drinking outlets in the resort and plenty of pools and direct access to the sea. The hotel is directly on St Georges Bay and has lovely views from the rear of the place.
I was staying on business and found the rooms to be well appointed, clean, airy with balcony's looking over the bay. The free wifi is ok but not very fast and I had difficulty in receiving and sending emails. The premium wifi package is available but at a price!
The food in the main building is ok but I found it to be quite bland. The airport is approximately 30 minutes away by car and there buses and taxis aplenty in Malta, although the bus service isn't as good as it used to be. The small community of St Georges Bay is just down the street with plenty of bars, restaurants and a small beach.
If staying on business it should be kept in mind that this is a holiday resort with familes with small children in residence.
A nice hotel, all round.

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel, Upper floor rooms better
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Manwithplan
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience in Malta and at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort.

Meanwhile, we all look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you at our Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We, 2 ad+2 ch, stayed at the Marina for five nights in late July. It is a great hotel for travellers of all types with great facilities, lots of space inside and out and ideally placed in the Georges bay area of St Julians, a five minute walk from the small bay and Bayside shopping centre and ten minutes walk from the harbour side.

Pro's
- Super location - close enough to the action and yet quiet and relaxing,
- Great facilities - pools, bars, restaurants (the photos don't quite do it justice I feel) with beautiful views of the sea and bay,
- Spacious room - perfect air con especially in the blistering heat of July, the net curtains are fantastic mosquito barriers which is a large plus for me as I am extremely allergic to their bites, tea&coffee making faclilities, safe (payable locally) and the minibar had enough room for me to put in my own bottle of water, bathrooms really well equipped and housekeeping daily with lots of towels, great tv with a lovely welcome message on arrival, hairdyer, trouser press and comfy beds!
- The cafe bar just off reception is great for a snack any time of day, we used it for breakfast as we like to sleep late.
- Standard of food everywhere is high.
- Professional staff on the whole.
- Great pool towel service.
- The hotel taxi driver that took us to the airport was clearly an experienced professional driver and a pleasure to chat to. My son was delighted to find out he was a former Malta international soccer player.
- Free wifi.
- Hot pool showers and the pool toilets are regularly cleaned and the floor dried so you don't slip as you walk around.
- Pool staff are attentive without being overbearing.

Con's
- All of the five pools (except for the baby pool) are minimum depth of 1.25 metres, some are minimum 2+ metres so smaller children and non-swimmers are not so eager to go in and as a result most people congregate around the steps. It was not clear to me if the staff on duty are trained life guards or not.
- One staff member in the pool bar beside the pool tables area, I won't mention his name, seemed to be having a bad week while we were there and was grumpy whenever we approached him. On one occasion I asked him to change my 2 euro coin to 1 euro coins so we could use the pool table beside him in the hotel and he told me couldn't open the till machine without a sale! I asked him if he was joking, afterall I was a resident trying to use hotel facilities and not a passerby from the street looking for change for the bus, and he grumpily told me I could wait for someone else to buy something if I liked so I went to reception and got change. When I returned and put the coin into the pool table it got stuck and a different staff member told me the machine was out of order and he returned with the guy who had been grumpy with a replacement euro for me - they seemed to be able to open the till on that occasion, maybe he bought something himself because there was no-one else around. A small thing but enough to annoy me and something I would not expect from such a great hotel.
- I found the underground parking ticketing system a little confusing but it wasn't a big deal because the reception staff patiently explained it to me until i understood.

Previously we stayed in the Hilton so the Marina had a lot to live up to, it absolutely did, we preferred it actually and wouldn't hesitate to return once the children are a little taller for the pools.
A wonderful break!

Room Tip: Seaview from ground floor, which is floor 3, upwards for views. Use the cafe beside reception, grea...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank NODL
Thank you for such a detailed and informative description of your recent visit at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort.

Please rest assured that your comments and observations have been shared with all our team members. The Management is also looking into ways for improving the con's mentioned in your review.

Meanwhile, we all look forward to welcoming you once again at our Hotel.Please do contact me directly when planning your next visit to the Maltese Islands.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had a lovely stay in this great hotel.Staff were all extremely courteous and nothing was too much trouble. Hotel is modern and stylish with spacious airy rooms. Air conditioning slightly noisy at higher settings but that is a very minor gripe.All guests have full use of the adjoining St George hotel and its equally good facilities.Beds in rooms are massive and we found them very comfortable. I would not hesitate to return when next in Malta.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank wandermann
Thank you for highlighting the human resources aspect of the Hotels' services, We are truly pleased to read that our team members did make a difference during your recent stay with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in the event that any family members or friends do visit the Maltese Islands in the future.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 3, 2013

A good hotel outside Paceville, but close to beach, and with own access to sea pool. There was always enough deck chairs around the pools, and it never felt crowded. The breakfast is really good! And the staff was really nice and always helpfull.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Finn C
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
On behalf of all the team at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, I would like to thank you for recommending our Hotel with other people around the world.

Should you consider visiting Malta once again please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Front Office Manger
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Just stayed at the marina Corinthia & it was a very relaxing 7 days room cleaned every with new towels to a high standard, all staff very friendly especially reception they helped me contact tour guides when they were late on pick up....lots of positives for the hotel but I will mention my two negatives...the chairs on the balcony are really uncomfortable and we could have done with a fridge in the room for water instead of a mini bar full to the brim.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank peely10
Thank you for your review and happy to note that your overall experience at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort was indeed a pleasant one.

We all look forward to hearing from you with a confirmation of another booking. In the event that you prefer to have your minibar unstocked, please do let us know in advance. We shall surely find a way around it.

Should you have any family members or friends visiting Malta, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!