My partner and I stayed at the Marina hotel for ten days in August. First impressions were excellent, we had one of the friendliest, most professional welcomes at a hotel ever. That continued throughout our stay - a massive thumbs up for the reception staff.
The hotel itself is a small sister of the next door, 5-star Corinthia,the facilities of which you are free to use and the outdoor areas have been designed to mostly blend into one resort. So it is a great way to get a 5-star luxury at a lesser price. Rooms are very spacious, comfortable and clean - all with lovely sea views. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the mattress, makes a very restful night's sleep!
We were on half-board and ate dinner there about 6 nights out of 10. Quality of breakfast is very high for a summer resort hotel. Dinner buffet options are fewer than what we had experienced in other resort hotels around the Med, but that is a compliment. The emphasis seems more on the quality rather than quantity. The buffet restaurant lacks a bit in atmosphere, but I was under the impression that they were working on it when we were there. They do about 3 themed food nights a week and only one was a bit of a disappointment - the Spanish one. Apart from that, there was fresh seafood on offer, steaks, grills, Maltese pasticchi and all sorts of good stuff you don't often see at buffets. Good thing is that half board guests can "trade" their buffet dinner for a voucher to use at several other restaurants in Marina and Corinthia, which I would definitely recommend. Go to the Vinotheque and order the Bouillabaise...you don't get that kind of cooking on a half-board that's for sure. Although it is very popular because of the views, I would avoid the Da Marina restaurant, pretty bad and bland so-called Italian cooking, a real shame to waste an evening there when there are so many great options to eat in Malta!
I loved the fact that the hotel had its own jetty, we deliberately only considered a hotel with access to the sea for those lazy days when you don't fancy driving (we had a car hire) or going on a bus to a proper beach. The sea is extremely clean, very warm and generally an escape from the slightly chavy area of Peaceville where the hotel actually is.
Paceville is supposed to the the party place of the island, in my opinion it is too downmarket for my liking and mainly attracts 18-20 year olds. If you are even slightly older than that you might not find it to your liking. Way too many "gentleman's clubs" for my liking too!
Having said that, one or two bars are passable and all of the clubs etc are only concentrated in one street (you can't hear anything from the hotel btw, it is far enough at the edge of the bay), so it's fine.
St Julian's is more genteel and charming.
But the real attraction lies in the rest of the island. The most important thing is - you MUST rent a car. With Malta being only 28 km long and 14 km wide, it provides an ideal opportunity to literally see everything with ease and have a city break and a beach and a gourmet break all in one. You can park for free in front of the hotel, no need to use the garage.
Highlights include: obviously Valetta, which is around the corner, I would not bother with Sliema, nothing there to see. Buy a guide and explore - wonderful.
Visit to Rabat and Mdina is another must. If you only see one thing in Mdina, visit the beautifully reconstructed and curated Palazzo Falson.
When it comes to beaches, we spent a couple of lovely days on the largest sandy beach Ghadira Bay. However, for me by far the most breathtaking - although not the largest - is the Ghajn Tuffieha beach, right next door to the more known Golden Bay where Radisson Blu is.
Golden Bay is also lovely but too many tourists and watersports spoil it for me. Tuffieha is largely unspoilt sandy paradise, lots of locals visit, extremely clean, you will not want to leave...In general, the sea in Malta is incredibly warm and peaceful, great for kids and for snorkelling too.
When it comes to food, Malta's restaurants are of a generally very good standard. But, there is one place I would always want to return to - Tartarun in the fishing village of Maraxlokk. I have heard amazing things about other restaurants there too - this town is the place to visit if you love your seafood.
Overall, Marina is a fantastic base to explore this lovely island from - Malta's quite charms won't disappoint, as long as you don't spend all of the time lounging by a pool. Now that would be a true waste of time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Featuring panoramic views out over Malta's St. George's Bay, the Marina Hotel is near the Paceville district's lively nightlife. It features a private beach club, a diving center, free Wi-Fi throughout and a total of 9 dining options. This 4-star hotel is part of the 5-star Corinthia Beach Resort, which has excellent water sports facilities and 5 outdoor swimming pools. Guests also have free access to an indoor heated pool, a sauna, a gym and spa facilities at the Apollo Day Spa. Decorated in bright pastel colors, all rooms are spacious and feature a balcony, a sitting area and a dressing table. They include air conditioning, a satellite flat-screen TV, and free Wi-Fi access. The Marina Hotel at the Corinthia Beach Resort has 9 restaurants and 7 bars with Mediterranean and innovative international dishes. A generous breakfast buffet is served daily. You will be just a few steps from a sandy beach and in the heart of Paceville's entertainment district. Both free and private parking are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Hotel At The Corinthia Beach Saint Julian`s
- Corinthia Marina Hotel Malta
- Corinthia Marina Malta
- Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort Malta