“OK but not a four-star hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bernard Hotel

Bernard Hotel
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Piacenza
“OK but not a four-star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights, from the 14th to the 18th September 2008. We had booked a holiday package on the internet: our stay at the Bernard hotel included the room only.
Before getting there, we had mixed feelings about the place, due to the reviews read on the internet. We were ready for the noise and for an accomdation which wasn't exactly similar to an Italian 4-star hotel.
Regarding the noise, we were very lucky: we had a room at the 4th floor of the hotel, equipped with double door to the balcony and they did their job great. There was indeed loud noise outside but we could sleep with no problem.
As for the 4-star, unfortunately that was true: the room was average, the bathroom wasn't that clean, bed linens were old. The television was in bad condition and we weren't given any remote control (maybe we could have asked, but nobody said nothing and we couldn't find any info on the information book that we found in the room).
The staff was helpful.
One thing we surely didn't like was having our Ids and CREDIT CARD photocopied and kept by the reception staff.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not clean enough
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WdW000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

I booked this hotel for 10 days, but I only stayed there for 3 nights. The hotel is in the middle of the bar district. The closest neighbour is a bar, 10 meterss away from the window. I also think there was a conecting door from the reseption in to another bar.

The place is noicy. You cant get to sleep before the bar close at 3-4 in the morning due to bass sound and high music. When the bars are closed drunk people run up and down the steps. They knock at my door almost every night.

The cleaning lady was coming in to my room every morning about 8 o'clock, even if I had Do not Disturb. She sayed goodmorning, and I kicked her out every morning. The last day i barricaded my door whit my suitcases.

The room was pretty poor, dark. The aircondition dit not cool, and it was wery noisy. The sink in the bathrom dit not let out the water.

I do not understand how this hotel has got 4 stars. All other 4 stars hotel in Maltaq is Luxury compaered to this. In Spain this hotel would be 2 stars.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

We booked this place for only one night, since our flight got us in Malta at midnight (hotel after 2 AM) and we thought it’s not worth spending too much money on a short night. So first night we booked this hotel and for the rest of the trip we booked Intercontinental, which is a half block away. This place was 1/3 of the price of Intercontinental and we got to hotel after 2 AM. So we thought, it can't be that bad. But it was a huge mistake!!!!!! I won’t go back even if they pay me to.
Why?
1- We couldn't sleep a minute- The loud music from the bar in front is so loud that you can't believe it and doesn't stop literally till 4 AM!!!!!
2- The beds are from 1950s or they feel from 1950s - old and dirty
3- insects in the room
4- The cleaning gentleman WALKED in to the room in the morning after a quick knock on the door without waiting for me to say "come in" and WHILE I WAS CHANGING!!!!!!!! He just walked into the room!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I was outraged.
5- breakfast was inedible. Awful. Greasy. No choice. Coffee one of the worst I have ever had.
6- This place is not even a hostel. I can only imagine young people with no money would have no problem staying there. I am not sure who gave them any stars.

KEEP AWAY you are worth a better place to stay!

• Liked — Its close to heart of action in St. Julian
  • Disliked — The whole experience - I didn't like anything about this hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VeryPickyLondon_UK
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

My partner and I are both in our early twenties, so we thought The Bernard would be ideal for us as we enjoy our nightlife and thought the hotel would be perfect due to it's close location to all the clubs and bars. Little did we know the hotel is situated literally on the door step of all the major clubs. Even for us we found it too noisy with the music going on til 4/5 in the morning, then building work - both outside our door in the hotel, and ourside our "balcony" (which faced a brick wall) - starting at 7am.
The room itself was thankfully clean and tidy and the housekeepers did do a good job. I didn't really appreciate the manners of some of the reception staff however.
The breakfast food was definately something not to shout about and would have rathered a slice of pizza from the kebab shop next to the hotel every morning instead.
The first time I set foot in the pool I was left choking for the next half an hour due to the amount of chlorine in it.
All in all, an ok stay....although, i would never stay at this hotel again, and definatley would not recommend it.

• Liked — The couches in the reception area
  • Disliked — Everything else about it.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

The hotel itself was reasonable. The room we were given initially had no proper window and was on the coridoor leading to the breakfast room. This meant that the noise from the clubs kept you awake until about four/five and then breakfast noises started about seven! We were moved to a slightly better room, with a window that was a bit better than the first one. But it was right by the lift so people coming in at five o'clock still in party mode woke me up. Even as a mature couple we enjoy a bit of life, but this was way over the top. I have never seen so many young people out partying at once before. It was very noisy.
We didn't have a problem with the cleanliness, our room was cleaned daily and the linens changed.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone over the age of 19.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

Under no circumstances stay here. This is not a 4 star hotel. We were shown 4 tatty old rooms very small and decided we wanted our money back when we found the dead cockroach. The location is not relevent. You can walk from one end of St Julians to the other in about 10 mins. And taxi's are cheap and plentiful!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bas2309, Operations Manager at Bernard Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2008
I would like to comment on the below mentioned review.

First of all it is clearly outlined in all brochures, websites etc that the Bernard is located in the heart of the night life thus one may expect some noise form the bars surrounding the Hotel.

Our rooms are certified by the Malta Tourism Authority and inspected regularly. Furthermore we have painted all rooms and installed new bathrooms.

We have replaced all mattresses with new ones and changed curtains and bedspreads.

Last but not least we treat all our rooms and public areas. We are contracted by Comtec Pest Control Ltd who treat all areas and rooms every fortnight. The fact that the cockroach was found dead means that they they do their job well and that the treatment is effective.

Should anyone have any further questions or require any sort of information please feel free to contact me on sebastiaan@hotelbernard.com.mt

Kind Regards,

Sebastiaan van den Berg
Venice, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

Not really clean, not really dirty. Furniture needs renovation. Cleaning people wake you up at 8.30 shouting "Hellohellohello" and knocking loudly at the door even if they know the discos downstreet played music until 4 AM.
Breakfast is poor, beverages are definitely not to try.
The position is nonetheless excellent, just in the very heart of St. Julians nightlife, 5 min walk from the beach and the shops, 10 min walk from the bus stop.
Don't choose it if you enjoy to sleep at night!

• Liked — position
  • Disliked — poor cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends