“Excellent fresh local food, cheerful and leisurely service”
Review of Assaggi - CLOSED

Assaggi
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of St Julians right behind Pendor gardens,up the road from HSBC bank, Assaggi is established and a favorite in the heart of the locals, with a chique, rustic dining room, that doesn't fail to impress .Our focus is firmly on great seasonal produce, a combination of Italian and French influences offers a unique tasting experience.Private parking available.
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Such a good menu it was difficult to choose, so allow plenty of time. However every dish was excellent. Fresh salt baked fish, superb beef, melt-in-the mouth veal, crunchy, fluffy roast potatoes and flavoursome stuffed marrow. The home-made fois-gras starter was a particular highlight and served with a very complementary home-made jam. Every meal was perfectly cooked and seasoned and with top quality ingredients. Cheerful and helpful service, but don't go if you are in a hurry. Three courses, campari sodas, G&Ts, astonishing amount of wine with Lemon-cello digestif all for about Euro 60 per head (without tip). Highly recommended.

1  Thank Richard_Ambler

Reviewed May 31, 2014

This was so good we came another night with a group of friends.

The service whilst relatively slow was meticulous and the food was outstanding. We went on recommendation of a friend and have already recommended it to people and taken friends from the island.

Check the opening times though as they are definitely closed Monday.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant on the basis of the reviews and a Lonely Planet recommendation. Based upon reviews, it appeared to be a fine-dining establishment. However, it only purported to be such. The decor was particularly drab with no natural light and very strange pictures crowding the walls.

We arrived at 7:30pm on a Saturday night to a completely empty restaurant. Upon glancing at the reservation book, we were one of only three reservations that evening. This worried us.

The meal started off very well. The bread and amuse bouche were lovely. The starter also was very nice. After this, it all went downhill.

I ordered the pork belly with rabbit leg. I was incredibly disappointed to find that the pork was dry and hard. It had been fried without the fat left on, which shocked me. Surely a chef should know that pork cooked without the fat turns into an inedible dry lump. The rabbit was fine, but was served with tin foil on the bone, which I found a little odd for a restaurant purporting to be fine dining. I have been to many fine dining restaurants around the world, and the cooking of the pork was the worst insult to good meat I have encountered.

I decided to order a dessert also (there is no menu - it is merely recited by the waiter). I ordered the chocolate fondant. Instead of chocolate fondant, I was served a gooey uncooked chocolate mess served in a ramekin. The chef clearly didn't trust the fondant to survive being turned out - with good reason. It was just uncooked goo. Added to this, the waiter had not advised that the fondant contained nuts, which I dislike.

I advised the waiter of the fact that the dessert was uncooked and contained nuts. His response was laughter and he said "oops" before walking away. The terrible attitude of the waiter takes this review from "poor" to "terrible".

We won't be back.

1  Thank LegallyB
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

One of the restaurants on our list to try is Assagi, always anxious when trying a new place. When we arrived one of the waitress came out to unlock one of their parkings and i thought thats a good start.

This same waitress sat us at our table and handed us their menu which she said changes every week if i'm not mistaken. We waited for approximately twenty minutes to order and was getting abit furious. The the sommelier came to take our wine order and advised us that the waitress is going to take our food order.

The waitress came and took our order, after that issue the rest of the meal was excellent! I ordered pappardelle with shaved black truffles and it was definitely amazing! There was a little more waiting time than ususal for the waitress to clear our plates considering there were only three tables besides us of a couple each.

My USDA Rib-eye for main was resting on a bed of potato puree infused with white truffles was cooked to perfection! Very tasty and mouthwatering that I didn't want it to finish.

As for dessert we shared a chocolate fondant to round up our meal and again the chef didn't fail to meet our likings.

The food is great and worth the prices, the only thing needed is the service to be a little more attentive.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Went off to a good start with the offer of free parking just outside the restaurant, which is situated in the heart of crowded Paceville. But the food was pretty average and the service was underwhelming too. We had to wait 20 minutes for the drinks order to be taken and it was a struggle to understand the waiter's accent when explaining the menu of the day. Definitely not a fine dining experience and the food prices are not reflected in the quality/creativity of the dishes.