“But for the steak......” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Assaggi - CLOSED

Assaggi
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated in the heart of St Julians right behind Pendor gardens,up the road from HSBC bank, Assaggi is established and a favorite in the heart of the locals, with a chique, rustic dining room, that doesn't fail to impress .Our focus is firmly on great seasonal produce, a combination of Italian and French influences offers a unique tasting experience.Private parking available.
Shropshire
“But for the steak......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

This restaurant surprised for the best and worst reasons. Apart from being stuck in an unprepossessing situation with no view, the decision to pass off a large hunk of meat as milk fed veal was taking the whatsit! It was the only part of a fine meal that disappointed - everything else was beautifully thought out and presented so professionally, so to receive something that looked like it had been prepared buy an enthusiastic amateur just let loose on a barbecue for the first time was astonishing. The size of the steak was out of all proportion, but worse still it was almost inedible, full of sinew and I doubt it had been hung for anything like a decent length of time.. Yes - I should have sent it back, but I prefer to soldier on and afterwards quietly suggest that this was not their finest effort. The response was that it must have been the butcher's fault. Come on.....
Major glitch which spoiled an otherwise fine meal.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

• Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food, but there is better for value elsewhere....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

So we wanted to choose somewhere highly recommended for a special occasion; it was very tucked away in a residential road. No views; and really looked like a neighbourhood restaurant/ bar from the outside. The directions "up the road from HSBC" is right, but keep walking to the end of the road. We didn't book a table, but were seated right away. Good start. The restaurant is small, about 15, and on that evening was 90% full. Not surprising with the reviews. I thought the lighting was a bit bright for the type of restaurant and perhaps a bit stiff in presentation. We were offered a aperitif on arrival; and had a fresh peach prosecco cocktail. We had to wait awhile for the menus, but the waitress apologised for the delay. The menu is small and changes daily -- the sample menu on their website, is possibly the lower priced choices. For starters we had the soup and an asparagus option. Again the wait was very long; we were offered an amuse bouche. It was lovely. When the starters arrived. Both were very nice; great presentation and flavour. Again, the wait was very long between starters and mains. We had time to see a number of other dishes which all looked very nice -- ranging from steaks to fish. I had the roasted pork belly and rabbit; the pork wasn't cooked to my liking. The skin was still very soft, but the meat was cooked well. The rabbit was nice, although the way it was butchered meant that there were a number of little bones. Overall it was flavour-full. My partner had the lamb. This was definitely over-cooked. A shame for such a cut. He didn't want to finish, and when I tasted, I had to agree. Not great for €28 for the dish. both mains were very rich; and with the length of time it took, we didn't want desert. In the end we paid €110 for 2 aperitifs, 2 starters, 2 mains, a bottle of wine and a bottle of water; over 3 hours. We ate out every night we were in Malta. And this one really didn't meet the feel and flavour of the others we tried. It wasn't a bad meal, just over priced for what it was and the slow service. I wouldn't go back again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“A nice discovery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was looking for a place where to take a friend who has seen many nice things in life. This place was reccomended by another foodie friend and was in a very convenient location not far from my house. Even though I had never noticed it there....The location in St. Julians that they have picked is rather uninspiring, so I was really worried...there is no view and sitting on the terrace could not bring any emotional romantic feelings....sorry! But on the other hand I am glad they are not on the promenade, available for all tourists to wander in:-) heheheh
I was glad to discover they focus on other things than interior here:-) Which is most important for a restaurant. These things are good food, good wine, good service - my kind of place!
Sadly to start with we did have some confusion with the reservation as I had called twice and still after asking my boyfriend to make sure we have the reservation, it was not recorded! That was a bit of a turn off! So we went there with heavy hearts.
Gladly, all turned out perfect! We ordered the soup of the day, which was scrumptious cauliflower goodness, poured into the bowl in front of you like in all advanced restaurants. Fish of the day on display was a bit out of variety, which waiter explained was due to the fact that we had come on Sunday and most of it was eaten on Saturday:-) As well as when I asked about sashimi which they have on the menu online, the waiter explained kindly that they do not serve old fish as sashimi!!!!!:-) LOL
OK, so here is still room for improvement!:-)
What to say and how to say....
Overall, we were happy with our dishes and impressed with the recipies of how they prepared one of them - only salt crusted. Simplicity and minimalism have always been friends of mine and all was delicious!
Bring friends here, who appreciate good food, forgive slips of toungue and just have loads of wine! They have an excellent selection available for reasonable prices as well as from the cellar for a wine lover!
Most important thing is that the chef here knows food, the place seems relaxed and friendly, atmosphere - very pleasant, menu is updated daily and dishes are all made on the spot from fresh ingredients.
All good!

• Visited August 2013
Sliema, Malta
“Great Service and Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is the second time I went to this restaurant and the food was as great as I remembered. They have a small but good selection of dishes, ranging from fish to meat. Service was excellent. They also have private parking.

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was the best dinner we had in Malta. Straight away I knew it would be good when we started the meal with the prosecco cocktail of the day which was lovely. The waiter helped us with the right wine for each of us for each course and made great recommendations on the food which we really enjoyed. Totally recommend it!

Visited September 2013