“Nice food, but there is better for value elsewhere....”
Review of Assaggi - CLOSED

Assaggi
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of St Julians right behind Pendor gardens,up the road from HSBC bank, Assaggi is established and a favorite in the heart of the locals, with a chique, rustic dining room, that doesn't fail to impress .Our focus is firmly on great seasonal produce, a combination of Italian and French influences offers a unique tasting experience.Private parking available.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

So we wanted to choose somewhere highly recommended for a special occasion; it was very tucked away in a residential road. No views; and really looked like a neighbourhood restaurant/ bar from the outside. The directions "up the road from HSBC" is right, but keep walking to the end of the road. We didn't book a table, but were seated right away. Good start. The restaurant is small, about 15, and on that evening was 90% full. Not surprising with the reviews. I thought the lighting was a bit bright for the type of restaurant and perhaps a bit stiff in presentation. We were offered a aperitif on arrival; and had a fresh peach prosecco cocktail. We had to wait awhile for the menus, but the waitress apologised for the delay. The menu is small and changes daily -- the sample menu on their website, is possibly the lower priced choices. For starters we had the soup and an asparagus option. Again the wait was very long; we were offered an amuse bouche. It was lovely. When the starters arrived. Both were very nice; great presentation and flavour. Again, the wait was very long between starters and mains. We had time to see a number of other dishes which all looked very nice -- ranging from steaks to fish. I had the roasted pork belly and rabbit; the pork wasn't cooked to my liking. The skin was still very soft, but the meat was cooked well. The rabbit was nice, although the way it was butchered meant that there were a number of little bones. Overall it was flavour-full. My partner had the lamb. This was definitely over-cooked. A shame for such a cut. He didn't want to finish, and when I tasted, I had to agree. Not great for €28 for the dish. both mains were very rich; and with the length of time it took, we didn't want desert. In the end we paid €110 for 2 aperitifs, 2 starters, 2 mains, a bottle of wine and a bottle of water; over 3 hours. We ate out every night we were in Malta. And this one really didn't meet the feel and flavour of the others we tried. It wasn't a bad meal, just over priced for what it was and the slow service. I wouldn't go back again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was looking for a place where to take a friend who has seen many nice things in life. This place was reccomended by another foodie friend and was in a very convenient location not far from my house. Even though I had never noticed it there....The location in St. Julians that they have picked is rather uninspiring, so I was really worried...there is no view and sitting on the terrace could not bring any emotional romantic feelings....sorry! But on the other hand I am glad they are not on the promenade, available for all tourists to wander in:-) heheheh
I was glad to discover they focus on other things than interior here:-) Which is most important for a restaurant. These things are good food, good wine, good service - my kind of place!
Sadly to start with we did have some confusion with the reservation as I had called twice and still after asking my boyfriend to make sure we have the reservation, it was not recorded! That was a bit of a turn off! So we went there with heavy hearts.
Gladly, all turned out perfect! We ordered the soup of the day, which was scrumptious cauliflower goodness, poured into the bowl in front of you like in all advanced restaurants. Fish of the day on display was a bit out of variety, which waiter explained was due to the fact that we had come on Sunday and most of it was eaten on Saturday:-) As well as when I asked about sashimi which they have on the menu online, the waiter explained kindly that they do not serve old fish as sashimi!!!!!:-) LOL
OK, so here is still room for improvement!:-)
What to say and how to say....
Overall, we were happy with our dishes and impressed with the recipies of how they prepared one of them - only salt crusted. Simplicity and minimalism have always been friends of mine and all was delicious!
Bring friends here, who appreciate good food, forgive slips of toungue and just have loads of wine! They have an excellent selection available for reasonable prices as well as from the cellar for a wine lover!
Most important thing is that the chef here knows food, the place seems relaxed and friendly, atmosphere - very pleasant, menu is updated daily and dishes are all made on the spot from fresh ingredients.
All good!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is the second time I went to this restaurant and the food was as great as I remembered. They have a small but good selection of dishes, ranging from fish to meat. Service was excellent. They also have private parking.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was the best dinner we had in Malta. Straight away I knew it would be good when we started the meal with the prosecco cocktail of the day which was lovely. The waiter helped us with the right wine for each of us for each course and made great recommendations on the food which we really enjoyed. Totally recommend it!

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

The place is slightly difficult to find but you need to. It is a paradise for your tastebuds, both food and wine-wise.
Crispy octopus and scallop, prawn and seabass broth, with seabream ovenbaked in salt is a must to try.
Staff was very professional and attentive.

1  Thank Kasia K