“Terrible service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paul's Seabreeze Restaurant

Paul's Seabreeze Restaurant
Ranked #88 of 301 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Central European, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saint Julian's, Malta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place is more directed to tourists rather than repeat expat customers like me. However I decided to go there for the first time after living almost 2 years in Malta. I won't repeat the mistake, there are other places along the Balluta Bay and Spinola Bay with better food, friendlier service and just as good views.

I came alone at around 20:30 when the place was quite empty. Waiter suggested me a table, which was on the street side. Since there were many empty tables, I asked whether I could stay in a 4-person table with a view to Balluta Bay. That was okay.

Immediately after I had ordered (vegetable soup, fresh sea bream) another waiter, a senior local man clearly a head waiter or similar came to me and very impolitely announced: "Are you alone? You have to move to another table because I need that table for a bigger group!"

I would like to think I am a reasonable and practical person, so the ensuing situation would have been avoided if the person would have tried for example the following: "Excuse me sir, but it seems that we are getting full quicker than anticipated, so could we kindly move you to another table, apologize for the inconvenience."

However, when as a customer of a restaurant one is being subjected to rude behavior by a member of the personnel (who for one reason or the other seems to regard himself as a superior piece of existence than the customers of the premise), I was not all that happy to immediately comply with the demands. I thus pointed out that I had specifically asked whether I can sit in that table, so it would be unfair to send me to another table just after ordering.

The senior waiter's reaction was that that was a 4-person table and I "should have known better". He also repeatedly used sentences beginning "you have to understand that..."

He also very aggressively demanded: "Who told you you can sit there? Show me!"
I refused to start finger-pointing anyone.

Then I suggested to the senior waiter that I can move to another table if I can just take the soup, as I did not feel like staying in the place anymore, but the waiter told me that the sea bream ordered 2 minutes ago was already being made. At that point I just wanted to leave the place so I asked for the bill so I could pay it and leave. Eventually I got the soup (to another table) and bill only for that. The soup was just fine, however as a whole the experience was the worst possible on any scale. That seems to make it three in a row for this restaurant.

I tried to contact the restaurant directly but their e-mail address did not seem to be working.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank martin m

• Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Totally Relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We ate at seabreeze almost everyday.The staff are very nice and always welcome us and when we asked for the same table,we always got it. The manager (Lino) infact reserve that table for the whole days we stayed in Malta. The food was really good and tasty which we try different kind of food. The angus steak and the fresh fish are the most delicious. It's always what you pay, you get. The black angus usda beef is 25 euro which is not expensive compare with other steak house. Also angus are with grades and we were told that we ate the black angus usda(united state dept.agriculture) which is certified. About the fish is the same when it comes for price.It depends which fish you are eating.There are the common fish which is cheap and also there is the special fish like the rock fish which is a bit expensive but when you know for a rock fish of nearly two kilos cost around 60-70 euro with garlic bread, chips ,salad and caper sauce, I think it's very reasonable and good compare with other fish restuarants. For the same fish you could pay around hunderd euro. The service was very good from the time we enter the restuarant, and you know.....if you wash their back, they will wash you all over in return. Well done to Lino and his staff who works from his heart to make people happy.

Saint Julian's, Malta
“Paul's Seabreeze - The worst meal I have had 'Anywhere'”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

As stated - this was the worst meal that I have ever had in my life.

I ordered the Chicken burger cordon bleu, with chips and salad.

When the food finally arrived it appeared at first glance that most of the chips had fallen off the plate 'in transit'. Those that remained would have made Gary Lineker proud, they were that crisp.

Now when you order chicken breast in Malta, usually something the size of a small dinosaur appears on a plate in front of you.

Not in this case.

The 'thing' wedged between two scorched mounds of dough (the bun) looked as though it had thrown off this mortal coil as a result of starvation.

It was described as being 'stuffed' with ham and cheese. This poor unfortunate had never been 'stuffed' with anything, and was so thin, you could have slide it under a snakes belly, with ample room to spare.

But if its departure from this life could only be described as 'tragic', then Paul's chef was about to demonstrate that there was, in fact, no dignity in death, and proceeded to give it the treatment which would have made the experience of Joan of Arc look like 15 minutes on a sunbed.

Ah well, there was always the salad to fall back on.

Now Malta is situated a short distance from Sicily, and the volcano Mount Etna. The fruit and veg coming from this region normally looks as though it has been fed on nuclear waste - it is that big.

But if the main 'fayre' was crisp, then the salad was the complete opposite. In fact, it was so limp, it has now been booked to appear in a season of panto, at the Wintergarden (Blackpool) as Charles Dickens Tiny Tim, in a Christmas Carol.

The only good thing that could be said about Paul's Seebreeze was the seafront location, which was perfect for giving dignity to my recently departed 'fowl' friend, and providing it with a decent christian burial at sea.

Now if you want a decent meal in this location, I suggest you go to The Dubliner, just along the coast. Great, wholesome, well cooked, good value for money food.

Come to think of it, that is where I usually see Paul eating.

To my chicken friend - RIP.

2 Thank Mike H
England
“Paul's Sea Breeze Visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Took my Father on a Holiday break from the 19th to the 26th May 2013 in Malta as we had a difficult year with a Family loss. Taking the time to make comments as when you are Holiday it is a special time which we save and wish to enjoy our memorable time. Reflecting on good times and occasional poor service which none of us wishes to experience. The food was good and the value was also good though only thing which we found disappointing was the service. The waiter was quite rude when i asked for knife for my Father I was told it wasn't necessary, as My Father has false teeth this was somewhat essential. Just one example: My advise would be to invest in customer service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Steve_Ulrike
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“One sentence would not do justice to how bad this as.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I can only imagine that you would have to be in prison to experience a meal as bad as this. The worst meal I have had in Malta and I have lived here for 7 years. The place must survive on 1 visit by tourists. You wouldn't go there a second time. Great location on the seafront, so with any luck it will collapse into the Med - soon. Dreadful

2 Thank SianH