“Lovely hotel but not 5 stars”

Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London
“Lovely hotel but not 5 stars”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Nice hotel in quiet location but not quite 5 star in European standards. The public areas were well maintained but our room was a little outdated. They are undergoing renovations this year which should bring it closer to 5 star standard. Please note that the hair dryer mentioned on the website is wall mounted, not ideal for long hair and styling. The staff were great and always helpful and the buffet breakfast and the happy hour at the bar were most welcome.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
aaron_vella, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking your time to share you experience with future travellers. Your feedback has been shared with the entire team. We are pleased to inform you that the wall mounted hair dryers are in the process of being replaced. On the other hand we are delighted to hear that our staff succeeded in making your stay special. May we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Aaron Vella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alderley Edge UK
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Iwent in February when there was a cold wind ,so go later in the season.Buffet breakfasts & dinners were excellent .All staff were very helpful & friendly. Every room had its own balcony with sea views.The shuttle bus took me to Valleta for sightseeing & was very useful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to review our resort. We are glad to hear that we succeeded in reaching your expectations. We are sorry to hear about the weather. We look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next visit.

Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel is located at the Northern end of the sprawling developments that stretch for about 5 miles along the coast. It's location is therefore away from the hustle, bustle and noise of nearby Paceville and Sliema. The hotel provides a shuttle bus to St Julian's (free) or Sliema and Valletta (small charge). However, there are Arriva public bus stops nearby providing services to Valletta (number 13) and Rabat (number 205) - I can strongly recommend a day out in Rabat and Mdina. It costs 2.60 euro for a day's bus travel but keep these on you as bus inspectors randomly turn up to check. Valletta is about 45 minutes away by bus and could be walked in about 4 hours (we threw in the towel and took the bus from Valletta waterfront). We spent about one and a half hours most days on the bus to and from Valletta. You will also be able to catch hop-on hop-off buses from close by but these are quite expensive in comparison to public transport.
The closest development to the hotel is Paceville which you could walk in 10-15 minutes. It is described as offering a vibrant, modern club and restaurant scene. I found it cheap and sleazy but a good place to find reasonably priced food. The closest sand to the hotel appears to be a very small artificial beach at the end of St George's bay which you will pass if you walk into Paceville. It didn't look particularly wholesome. If you do attempt to walk across the rocks running past the hotel there is a good chance you will be going home in plaster.
The staff are all pleasant and obliging and speak English to a very good standard: Maltese is a unique language featuring a random mix of Q's X's and silent Gh's. Any Maltese word would be an instant game winner in Scrabble.
We did not eat at the hotel but saw that it offered international cuisine at hotel prices.
The room was a reasonable size and there is free wifi. We had a number of gripes that collectively led to us concluding that this is not a 5* establishment. These include:
A large greasy stain around nose height on one wall.
Small cups and a selection of teas and coffees that you will find in any 3* hotel chain in the UK
Our TV had been set with an alarm that went off at 3.45am on our first morning: I was not impressed. The TV is a rather old model.
Our air conditioning control sparked and popped loudly before breaking down: It was electrically unsafe and although it was promptly fixed, my wife would not be quite so easy to mend.
The handles of most of the equipment in the gym is held together with gaffer tape.
Although the surroundings are quiet there was a significant amount of noise from other guests: For example, I had to ask some parents to shut their kids up - they thought it was OK to whistle outside bedrooms at 23:30. Also, when chairs are dragged across the laminate flooring they generate a surprising amount of reverberation that carries through the hotel structure.
There is no lighting for pedestrians returning to the hotel, making it a little hazardous to negotiate the hotel's access road.
Having seen the generally poor quality of building and infrastructure in Malta I suspect this hotel qualifies as 5* on this island but compares poorly to any other 5* hotel we have stayed at in Europe.
All in all the hotel is acceptable but needs some refinement to justify it's 5* rating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nick B
aaron_vella, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your detailed experience with future travellers. May I kindly invite you to contact me directly on aaron.vella@radissonblu.com to be able to look into certain occurences mentioned so as to ensure that such instances are not repeated with other guests staying in the same room. May we also take this opportunity to thank you for bringing certain points to our attention. Your comments have been shared with the entire team and will be actioned accordingly. It is with such feedback that we can endeavour to improve. In the mean time I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully welcoming you back on your next visit,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Such a nice place, breakfast is super. Lack of a beach a little disappointing but still cool places to swim. The town is a little wild at nigh but the hotel is far enough away that there is no noise. Check in a little slow as it is a big hotel but it is close to the airport.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
aaron_vella, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking your time to share your experience with future travellers. May we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Jugon-les-Lacs, France
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel has a great location, the staff are very helpful and pleasant, and the facilities are good. It is a particularly great place in fine weather, with its various outside pools. The Room is good, the wifi is now working well (which was not always the case in the past), and I particularly like the bar overlooking the main outside pool and the sea. The reception is pleasant and the hotel generally well laid out although the angled rooms get a sideways view of the sea on the right side of the hotel at the expense of the general view.

I do however, have complaints about the hotel. On arrival, I was told my Radisson points card was now useless, a new card was required, and the points could not be transferred. I felt like a Cypriot bank account holder. For some reason, the hotel always gives me a room on the right side of the hotel where the rooms' views are restricted and dominated by a car park. They aren't even that busy, yet still keep giving me poorer rooms. A particular fault of the room is that the walls are paper thin. You can hear everything, and I mean everything, that your next door neighbour is saying and doing. I had to turn the TV on and found it impossible to sleep when the man in the next room started doing weird loud something or other. The hotel previously seriously over-billed me for the telephone, when in fact I had never used the telephone at all, then argued with me when I pointed out they had overcharged me. This time round the hotel seem more comfortable with itself and hopefully checkout will be without incident.

The Sunday buffet is great. I have tried it several times. The indoor pool is a bit disappointing given how great the outside pools are, but nevertheless it is okay. I have had problems booking times with the spa; the staff seem to wander around in a daze without paying too much attention to possible clients.

The rooms are very clean, though it would have been nice if the shower had a flexible extendible nozzle rather than a simple 1970's wall fixed nozzle. The water pressure is not too good, though still better than many London hotels. The TV was shot, with great purples and greens across the screen like, again, a poor 1970's tv. It was disappointing that having been given a free bottle of water on arrival, that I never received a new one each day. If I had paid daily, I would have got a bottle daily, so why am I being penalised for an extended stay?

Malta is a great place and this is one of the best hotels on the islands. It is great value and I am, overall, pretty happy with the hotel. However, apart from the things that the hotel would have trouble fixing, such as the thin walls, there remain a number of irritations that they could fix quickly with a bit more attention to detail.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a 'real' sea view and not a restricted one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bruce G
aaron_vella, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel in such great detail. From your comments, it seems you are presently staying with us. For this reason I kindly ask you to contact me through reception and if not, my email is aaron.vella@radissonblu.com perhaps I can assist you with your Club Carlson Points issue. As regards to the room we assigned, we always try our best to give priority to our repeat customers therefore please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit.

Ħal Qormi, null, Malta
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My friends and I decided to go on a weekend break at the Radisson Blue St.Julians and I must say we were very satisfied overall. The staff were really friendly and the receptionist was very helpful. We were very happy with the rooms, they were very nice and clean. The amenities were great, we had everything we needed in the hotel, in fact we didn't leave the hotel at all until check out. I would definitely go again if given the chance and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who asked for my opinion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
aaron_vella, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your short break. May we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Worcestershire
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Al was very good, we had a super , renovated room, all very good, Hade a small problem with pre-booked restaurant upgrade, I understood that I could dine in any of the restuarents, in fact I was theoretically on supposed to dine in the Buffet and not Le Bistro, where we always dine. All was sorted with the assistance of Dorianne, who sorted things.

Looking forward to our next stay

Room Tip: Ask for the Lefthand side it catches the sun in the morning
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience with future travellers. We are glad to hear that we succeeded in making your stay memorable. May we look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#6 of 32 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,111 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's? Share your experiences!