“holdiy good but not spectacular”

The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We found this hotel very friendly, most of the staff were very accommodating.

We had booked half board but the food let the hotel down, breakfast was not too bad although the orange juice was well watered, the sparkling wine flat on most mornings and the croissants dried out and hard. Dinner was so bad we opted for eating outside of the hotel the food was repetitive and cold, except for Sunday lunch time when the locals came in, there was any amount of choice from main course to desserts.

St Julians was not very clean, once you left your resort hotel the area became quite seedy, with dirty streets and night clubs, prostitutes even plied for business on street corners from as early as 10.30pm.

The best part of the holiday were the Malta buses which would take you anywhere on the island for a few cents, a great way to travel.

I would recommend this hotel for its accommodation, only book bed and breakfast. Be very careful in the lobby bar, I was charged 8.70 euros for a white wine spritzer, which when I checked later should only have cost 4.10 euro there excuse being they used imported wine not local wine, I was not asked which wine I would like.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
JonathanBorg, Operations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2009

Dear Guest,

Primarily, I would like to thank you for writing to us in connection with your stay at our Resort. Your candid feedback is very much appreciated and has certainly warranted our sincere attention in order to fully address the issues you feel necessary to highlight.

In order to fully comprehend the scenarios you describe I have personally interviewed our associates concerned and tracked the events that mark your respective comments during your stay.

Our Executive Chef, Bars Manager and the team have been notified with the comments relating to this area and action has been taken to improve our performance.

With regards to Snt. Julian’s, the local authorities are currently working on improving the over all ambiance in the area, in fact, the paving works on Dragonara Road will be ready by mid July. Thanks to these works a very nice promenade walk will be created.

Ones again I would like to thank you for your feed back and do hope that the future will see your return to Malta and our Resort.

Yours sincerely,
Always at your service,
THE WESTIN DRAGONARA RESORT

Jonathan Borg
Operations Manager

There are newer reviews for The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta

Reviewed June 12, 2009

The service is friendly, competent, in fact, first class whether you are checking in, booking an excursion, eating breakfast, or visiting the spa. The rooms are spacious and luxurious with wonderful views. The "heavenly bed" is the best I've slept in anywhere in the world. The choice of restaurants meets everybody's needs, including a fish restaurant that is one of the top 10 on the island. The location is great - private access to the sea, close enough to the restaurants and nightlife of St Julians and Paceville yet far enough away to retain its privacy, a casino on you doorstep and easy access to the main roads on the island. The hotel has every amenity you might need and I feel at ease as soon I walk into the lobby.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Dear Guest,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your time in completing this review. Your thoughts are much appreciated and I am delighted to read that your overall experience at our resort was so memorable.

As we remain committed to continuously improving The Westin Dragonara Resort, we value our guest’s comments and comments like yours encourages us and the team to further improve our resort.

I hope in the future we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Dragonara Resort.

Always at your service,
THE WESTIN DRAGONARA RESORT

Jonathan Borg
Operations Manager

Reviewed June 12, 2009

I write in my capacity as a conference and event organizer to praise the Westin Dragonara in Malta as an outstanding hotel.The location is superb-all the rooms have sea views;the staff could not be more helpful or welcoming(and it has the had the same managemnet and staff for many years-always the sign of a very professionally run hotel),the rooms are beautifully appointed and of a very good size,the food is good and it offers incredible value both for conferences and for private individuals and families.
I have run four conferences there in the last eight years and it keeps getting better!So much so that I am taking my family there later this year -and that someone who is a professional in the travel industry is the ultimate accolade.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
mariattard, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,

Reading positive feedback from a person that works closely within the tourism industry is definitely greatly appreciated.

Rest assured that great importance is granted to the the recruitment process within the Westin Dragonara Resort to ensure the maximum guest satisfaction accompanied with the least staff turnover possible.

Once again thank you for your kind words and look forward to welcome you and your family back to the Westin Dragonara Resort,

The Westin Management

Reviewed June 7, 2009

The lobby of this hotel is impressive and the rooms are large, especially by European standards but none of the three rooms we stayed in were of 5 star standard. Everyone we met in the hotel said the same except for one couple who were staying in a suite. The first "family" room we were given (room 205) had an overwhelming dank, moldy smell -- I saw hotel staff spraying air freshener in the rooms prior to guests arriving so they are definitely aware of the problem. The toilet in our room was installed crooked - yes, the entire toilet, not just the seat, so when you sat on the toilet, you were at a complete angle as if you were on a boat. The carpet was stained and filthy. Just not a nice room, especially with three young children. After two nights we were able to change to a room on the fourth floor and had an adjoining room for the arrival of my two adult step daughters. Both rooms reeked - one of cigarette smoke and the other of cigar smoke. My husband informed the front desk and they said they had a policy of fining guests 50 euros if they smoked but it's obviously not enforced and they did not change our rooms. The inside of the curtains in our room (457) had been burnt by a previous guest - probably the cigar smoker - so that they were totally inadequate in blocking out light. Upon arrival home, we discovered that all of our clothing and bags reeked of cigarette and/or cigar smoke. It was disgusting and also expensive as many of my dresses are dry clean only (and I didn't wear half of them!). When we were waiting to change rooms, we were told that one of our rooms had a "walk-in" shower, an elegant way of naming a disabled shower that was a shambles. The whole room flooded when you took a shower despite the shower being the most feeble water pressure, barely enough to shower in. The bathroom in the kids room was much better and had obviously been recently upgraded. So I would imagine that if you get a room which has been recently upgraded (and not smoked in) you could be reasonably satisfied. Except for the service. The housekeeping services were terrible - we opted not to have our sheets changed daily which meant we arrived back to room with very poorly made beds. Towels would be removed and not replaced - in particular bath mats which vital to our "walk in" shower as we had to soak up the water which went everywhere. We sat at the pool most days and the service at the pool snack bar was terrible - the staff was good natured enough but incredibly slow and totally unaware of customers waiting. It took forever just to order an ice cream or a drink. Drinks and ice creams were ridiculously expensive so the prices are definitely 5 star. We booked 5 year old and 8 year old into the the kids' club for one morning and paid for a babysitter to accompany our toddler and the two older children refused to go back again, saying it was boring. They've gone to three other kids' clubs at hotels in the past year, this is the first one they didn't like. We never ate the hotel breakfast because we don't like eating vast amounts at breakfast and the cost of breakfast was 17 euros per person. Our kids just want a bowl of cereal and we prefer just fruit and tea. Oh, we asked for a kettle (as per the sign in the room offering this amenity )so as to heat our toddler's milk and were given a coffee maker. There is no beach at all as per the hotel website. There was also a serious problem at the pool with the umbrellas blowing away - these are large wood and canvas umbrellas and it was amazing no one got hurt as they blew on to people. Again, the hotel surely has to be aware of this? We only ate at Palio's once - because the other evenings we tried, it was closed. The door sign says" Winter open days Friday and Saturday" but we went on June 1 and 2 and it was still closed. We did have drinks in the hotel lobby and that was nice and the service was good.

This is our third visit to Malta and if we return, we will go back to the Hotel Phoenicia in Valletta. Last time we stayed at the Radisson in St. Julian's and it was worst than the Westin. The Phoenicia has elegant rooms and at the time we were there, much better service and food.

It's a real shame because most of the staff at the Westin were very friendly and nice. But the only staff who seemed proficient at their job was the front desk staff. Also, after a quick read of other reviews and other hotels, there seems to be an issue with hotel rating at Malta - too many reviewers are saying that five star hotels are not five star. We weren't as bothered as we might have been had we not gotten a very good rate at the Westin and been aware of the problem from our previous visit to the Radisson (which was atrocious - never again!). The reason we chose the Westin this time instead of the Phoenicia was because they claimed to have a beach and they don't so we may as well stay at a city centre hotel. I would have stayed at the Westin again had it not been for the smokey rooms - just not acceptable when staying with children and horrible to have to clean all our clothes when we got home, even clothing that hadn't been worn. I could not recommend this hotel to anyone as they would not know what to expect.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SFKAT3

Dear madam,

On behalf of the Westin Team, I would like to express my gratitude for your valued custom. I sincerely hope that you had a pleasant journey back home.

Rest assured that all your comments have been passed on to the respective managers for their immediate action.

With regards to the beach kindly allow me to mention that within the premises of the Westin Dragonara Resort, there is a private beach, This is indeed located in the lower level of the Bay View pool deck, where upon descending to the lower level, guests can enjoy direct access to the sea via our Bay View beach.

Once again, thank you for the comments. With our warmest regards The Westin Management

Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed at the Westin for a week in the beginning of May and we loved it. A fabulous location. After months of looking at different hotels in Malta we eventually chose the Westin and we were delighted that we did. The Tower Room was great and we enjoyed the extra space to the full. Maybe if one was to quibble the rooms could do with a revamp seeing that it is a 5 Star Hotel. Breakfast was the best we have ever had at any hotel in Europe and the Staff were very helpful. We have really no complaints only that the Sea and the pool were freezing!!!! A great hotel and would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
mariattard, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,

Primarily, I would like to thank you for finding the time in sharing with us your recent stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We are so glad to read that you are so proud of the decision you have taken by opting to stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort whilst on holiday on the Maltese Islands.

Looking forward to have you stay with us in the near future,

Reviewed May 20, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon and really enjoyed the hotel. We used points for the stay and I'm SPG platinum earning us a very nice upgrade to a double sized room on the executive floor. The complimentary breakfast and reception were very nice and generous. All the staff we spoke with were incredibly personable and helpful.

The only slight downsides worth mentioning are that the pool is very nice; however, there is no real beach on the water (certainly not the hotel's fault--I don't believe they advertised to the contrary) and the location would not be the best if you want easy access to Valletta and the Three Cities.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you and wish you all the happiness in your married life.

We are so delighted to read that you have utterly enjoyed your one time honeymoon holiday at the Westin Dragonara Resort, whilst meeting all of the staff as well as your satisfaction with the service offered.

Looking forward to welcome you back to Malta and indeed to the Westin Dragonara Resort,

Reviewed May 18, 2009

Just returned from weekend break at the Westin.. and my oh my.. was i pleasantly impressed with the service offered!! I booked my stay online, and the sales people were extremely efficient and helpful. They got to know I was going for the weekend as it was my girlfriend's birthday, and on the day, they surprised us with a lovely delicious birthday cake! Bar and restaurant personnel were all extremely friendly and caring, all with a smile on their face.. just the type of people you want around while on vacation. Room service was always proptly responded to.. and even the cleaners were all well mannered and caring!
I have placed lots of emphasis on the customer care, cause it truely impressed me. I'd like to note that the food too was superb... and the breakfast, with the newly introduced healthy option an added plus to the already impressive offering!

Dear Sir,

We are so glad to read that you found your weekend at the Westin Dragonara Resort as a refreshing and enriching one.

Rest assured that all of your comments have been communicated to all associates concerned to compliment a job well done.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Westin Dragonara Resort in th enear future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta? Share your experiences!