“Exceptional value, warm hospitality and ideal location”

The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London
“Exceptional value, warm hospitality and ideal location”
Reviewed April 21, 2008

From the time we booked our stay at the Westin up until the time we left, the staff made sure we were well taken care of.

The staff overall was incredibly helpful and friendly around the clock. They always took the time to ask if we needed help with anything - one instance that comes to mind is when my boyfriend and I were about to take a taxi to a place where everything was virtually closed at that hour. The guy at the door recommended a romantic walk north instead and he was right on, we had a relaxing leisurely stroll.

George at concierge was particularly helpful in providing us suggestions on what to do, where to go, etc. He suggested touring Gozo with the help of a personal driver vs. a group guide, which ended up being comparable in price and we saw a lot more with our lovely personal guide, Maria (a Maltese native).

The staff always got us taxis promptly whenever we needed them. They even got us a driver from the airport to the hotel at 1AM for cheaper than a regular (not as nice) taxi.

Service by the pool was great- (I wish I could remember everyone's name!) our bartender always made our drinks well and fast.

The overall facilities were well kept. I slept great, which hasn't always happened at hotels where I've stayed. The lobby area was also cozy enough where I didn't feel awkward parking it in the corner to use the Internet.

I stayed at the Le Meridian up the street later in the week and I must say, the Westin had a lot more to offer than its sister hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cali0231

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2008

The Westin was booked for me as I was attending a conference held at the Hotel, and first impressions on arrival were certainly favourable.

Check-in was quick, efficient and friendly, my request for a late check-out on my return for 1900 was met (albeit at a small charge which I was happy to pay for the flexibility) and the lobby/bar area was very smart. Following on from that, the guy who checked me in had enough about him to remember my name when I asked him for something at the front desk 24 hours later, and without consulting his computer at all. So well done Alex, for understanding that recognition is great customer service, and for delivering it so effortlessly. Many London Hotels could well do with people like him in their front of house department.

The room was large, comfortable and had a great balcony. Unlike earlier reviews, I found the beds very comfortable indeed, and slept really well on both nights at the hotel. Bathroom was average, and in need of an update, the biggest problem being the dreadful shower which was far too drippy to be particularly enjoyable. Cleanliness was good, although the time taken for a room service was far too long, with my room only being attended to a 1630, just as the conference activity was winding down for the day. Grrrr.

Bar was the highlight, reasonably priced, good selection of drinks and bar food of good quality, and manned by decent staff. Tried to eat in Quadros on one night, but found it "very fully booked, we can't squeeze you in at all" which was irritating given that the other hotel restaurants were closed (low season) and the hotel was full with a large conference. Odd way to attempt to make money. The reception I attended on one evening on the bar terrace however was very professionally done, with great nibbles and a fabulous location for such an event.

St Julians itself is not a great town, full of crummy bars and restaurants, and clearly partly aimed at the Ibiza/Ayia Nappa crowd, but the Westin was a good pick for a conference/business hotel.

• Liked — Location/Staff
  • Disliked — Restaurants being closed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Jerry1971
Surrey
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Normally stay in 5 star hotels and had a week's holiday here in April with wife and two boys aged 7 and 9 staying in a beach front suite. This was expensive but worth it ( as they had a special deal). It was like brand new with two rooms, jacuzzi bathroom, separate shower room, kitchen, two plasmas, free internet etc.
Sound insulation between rooms poor - we could hear our next door neighbour snoring!
Main areas in hotel are impressive and comfortable and staff very helpful.
Bad points were kids club was only suitable for babies and toddlers despite their website bigging it up. We were told it's better in summer. Pizza restaurant (which looked ideal) was closed in evening so only choice was formal one (no good for kids), main one or bar in reception area (or nearby BK).
We also read about DVD player in room so took some kids' DVDs only to find that yes it was there but you couldn't use it without paying extra to play your own DVDs!!
Outdoor pool was freezing (as expected). Why don't they heat it? Indoor pool was good except for all the locals who use it and the fitness club.
Overall I would recommend it but make sure you carefully check out the kids club availability if you're taking kids.

• Liked — beachfront suite
  • Disliked — kids club and dining options
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Camax4
Liss, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We visited the Westin Dragonara for a total of five days last week. In town for a conference at the resort I took the opportunity to take my wife and baby daughter along too.

Upon arrival you can't help but be impressed by the quality of the reception/foyer. Unfortunately the room in which we stayed was less than impressive and could have done with a refurb. We were in one of the SPG Club rooms on the 8th floor so we expected a little more. Light fittings were faulty, furnishings were a little tired, the wallpaper was shocking and the bathroom was old and outdated. Worst of all was the lack of air conditioning. After reporting it several times nothing was done yet we found out on the day of our departure that the a/c was still set to "winter mode". i.e. The a/c heated only and did not yet cool! It was at times unbearably warm as a result. We were disappointed that we were never told this earlier.

The Club lounge with private balcony for breakfast, tea and coffee, internet, papers and evening drinks was splendidly run. We particularly liked the evening happy hour (or two) and can only speak highly of the staff. It was a great facility and in fact made our stay. They were particularly kind to my baby daughter also.

The hotel is in a good location, the pools are fine but the most impressive facility had to be the gym. It was without doubt the finest and best equipped gym I have used in a long time. All the equipment was new and well maintained. My only criticism would be the lack of complimentary water fountain. They hadn't however forgotten to charge for the bottled water...

So, all in all, we had a nice few days, but the Westin could so easily be better. If I were you I'd stay in (or at least consider) the newly developed Hilton Resort only five minutes walk away. It really has a splendid atmosphere and is well placed for restaurants and the marina. I also hear that they have a fully functioning air conditioning system...

• Liked — Club Lounge and Gym facilities.
  • Disliked — Quality of room and bathroom decor; lack of air conditioning.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Max Ray
Reviewed April 12, 2008

First the bad news, the beds are awful. So hard I got pain in my shoulder and hips where they pressed on the bed, it did not yield to body shape and gave no support. Hotel owners please note a hotel is somewhere for people to sleep! I would have rated this hotel as "Terrible" were it not for the lovely staff.

Our standard room was a very good size, clean, modern, quiet and generally excellent. The hotel staff were helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was OK, average standard, but not five star and certainly very expensive.

If a proper bed was supplied I would rate this hotel as "Above average", but as it is impossible to sleep here I wouldn't recommend staying.

• Liked — Large pleasant room
  • Disliked — Beds are not suitable for sleeping on
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank J123456789
New York
Reviewed March 28, 2008

This was my first trip to Malta. I had stayed at several Westins before and expect a certain level of comfort. I was told this hotel was originally a Sheraton and was converted to a Westin about 7-9 years ago. This Westin was listed as a 5 Star choice.

March is still considered the end of winter, even though it was about 70 degrees and sunny warm when I was there. Both pools were still closed and by that I mean the pools were drained and their were no pool chairs out, thus, even if you didn't want to go swimming, you couldn't go out and read a book.

The lobby and grounds were emmaculate. The concerige and bell staff went above and beyond -- presenting 5 star service. From there it went down hill.

I found the front desk staff rude and impertanent. I had booked a non-smoking room with king bed.. I received a "upgraded" smoking room on the "club floor" -- though I was not given club privilages -- and was told that an "upgraded room" was the exact same room, only on floor six versus floor five. All other items and decor was the same.

Towels were dingy and marked with other hotel names -- not Westin. Paint was pealing in the bathroom. This was not the Westin bath or hotel room experience even though, ironically, they had the Westin catelog of hotel items so you could purchase the items you were not going to enjoy...! Dust and lint bunnies climbing the corners of all the walls. Mold growing in the shower and under the sink. Bed linens had seen better days. Stains on carpet. Expensive room internet. Limited TV channels if you wanted to watch anything other than news in arabic or from an asian market.

Really a depressing room well over due for a renovation. And a shame to be called a Westin. I would call the lobby a Sheraton and the rooms, Four Points.

• Liked — lobby
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorafloodNewYork
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We booked this hotel as the Hilton was asking for far too much to stay there. We stayed at the Hilton last year and were very pleased with it and wanted a similar standard hotel in the same area. When we arrived we were very pleased with the room - we booked a bay suite and it was lovely....much nicer than the rooms at the Hilton which are average typical Hilton rooms.
However that is probably the only thing that is better at the Westin compared to the Hilton. The breakfast at the Westin is astonishingly poor - more like the type of breakfast you would get at a Novotel or the like - the fruit selection was a few tinned pears and peaches - the only fresh fruit was whole apples and oranges!! The breakfast room was also a disappointment.
My husband hated the Heavenly Bed which he swore was not a Heavenly Bed (he has stayed at Westin hotels before). The staff are very friendly though.
Finally the food in the hotel is appalling - the concierge told us their fish restaurant was the best in Malta - when we went there we were hugely disappointed. It was well below average. Room service had to be sent back - the pizza was burnt but I was actually pleased it was since that was my excuse to send it back!
So all in all it was a bit of a disappointment - lovely rooms and decent location but not what one would expect from a Westin...

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,318 reviews
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta? Share your experiences!