“A Wedding to Remember”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Ireland
“A Wedding to Remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

My new husband and I just came back from staying in the Westin, it was the most wonderful holiday. We decided last year to get married in Malta and we spoke to a planner over there, Sarah Young, she showed us a number of locations for our small family wedding and we chose the Westin as our venue. It was absolutely perfect, the venue itself was in the Quadro restaurant, right across from the hotels side entrance.

The majority of our family chose to stay in the hotel and no-one was dissappointed. We had with us an adult with mobility issues (my father) and an eight month old baby, neither issue posed a problem for the hotel. We arranged a cot for the baby and a disabled room for the adult, at no extra cost. While we were there they even gave us a wheel chair for my dad.

There are a few major things that shine for me about this hotel, firstly was that my own room started to have a small issue and I mentioned it to the main desk, they sent someone straight away to fix it. The following day, unfortunately the problem returned, immediately they upgraded us to another room and had our luggage moved. No messing or hassle, just job done. I've stayed in a 5* hotel elsewhere and had to complain over the course of days before anything was done, so to me this was amazing. The second was later on the day of the wedding.

So my wedding day arrived and my dad didn't want to use the wheel chair as he wanted to walk me down the aisle, he was going to have trouble getting to the venue, it was either walk down the aprox 25 steps or walk around from the front of the hotel, neither option was ideal. The hotel was extremely accomodating and offered to drive my dad from the front door to the restaurant, it was perfect. He wasn't over exerted and I didn't have to worry about him.
When the evening was coming to a close, we decided to return to the hotel lobby for a few drinks and my dad had forgotten to take his medication, (all the excitement), he was very unsteady on his feet. We tried to get the hotel car back for him but unfortunately it was unavailable at the time. As we stood trying to figure out what to do, our waiter, Martin, went and got his own car and brought my dad to the front door. I can't explain how that simple act was so huge for us. He was truely the hero of the hour and there is no way for me to explain my gratitude.

The last thing that has me giving this shining review is that on our last day, our flight wasn't until 9pm, check out is at 12. The hotel automatically blocked off, on their computer system, the room my dad was in so that he had a late check out at no extra cost. We hadn't asked for this service, they did it as they knew he would problems.

I'm sure we could have found hotels cheaper but the service they provided went beyond money, they were always pleasant and helpful. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
mariattard, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear nytraia,

Primarily, on behalf of the Westin team I would like to congratulate you once again and wish you all the very best of luck in your marriage.

As we strive to make each and every guests' experience at the Westin a heavenly one we are delighted to read that all your guests enjoyed their stay at the Resort.

And most importantly that you were very pleased with the service of our staff and the facilities that we had to offer for your special day.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Dragonara Resort in the not so distant future and thank you for your positive comments.

Be Well Be Westin,
Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

We just want to get out to somewhere nice and warm for a week and a little something for our 3 yr old to do. The kids club is disappointing. The lounge (which we paid extra for) is not worth it (we've never been to a lounge that would close most of the day....so you think you want a drink or snack during the odd hours like 3-4pm? not a chance) the breakfast downstairs at the restaurant is by far better than the "flies all over the food" lounge can offer. The room is fairly old and carpet is somewhat smelly. Maintenance is done at a minimum level. Overall, 3-star experience. We did walk over to the Hilton and it seems to be nice there. Please do some homework to compare! But no matter where you stay, head to Chapter One, the restaurant, the best experience in Malta for us.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
mariattard, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear homeATlux,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your constructive comments.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the areas where we have fallen short of your expectations, which is a surprise since all our Executive Rooms and Lounge have just been refurbished recently.

Your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team, in order to help us continue improving further the service that we have to offer.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We had breakfast on the eighth floor, where the staff were fantastic and were very friendly. Inparticular Pam and Yvonne thank you to you lovely ladies for helping to make our holiday such an enjoyable one.
Our only criticism would be the lunch menu at the hotel (by the pool) particularly for children as chips came with mostly every thing and not really any healthy options for children.
Two pools, we chose the Reef club pool where we could watch the children safely. Room perfect, staff great and very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had an executive room that overlooked the bay and the sea... perfect.
1 Thank alison h
Dear alison h,

Thank you so much for the excellent review that you have kindly placed on Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased that the levels of service and facilities, especially the Westin Executive Club Lounge, met with your expectations and that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

With best regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Although I stayed here only for one night, my experience here was extremely pleasant. I was supposed to check-in around 3pm (which they had confirmed both via an email and a phone call the day before), i showed up at their hotel at around 12:30pm'ish. They were very accommodating with my request, upgraded my room (which wouldn't be ready until 2:15pm), called the large gym facility on 2nd floor, provided me with a changing room, and had my bags stored by the Concierge. Concierge (Paul) was extremely helpful. He took his time in understanding my request (was short on time, and wanted to get the most out of exploring the city), and even arranged for transportation/tickets etc.

Promptly, i received a call at 2:30pm indicating my room was ready. The room had a view of the open Mediterranean waters; simply breathtaking. Almost everything in the room was impeccable. I just had one issue with the bathroom. Normally, in such establishments, bath tubs are either replaced with or supplemented by shower areas. However, in my room, I found a narrow curtain-less bath tub (no shower), and a one-fourth of a glass wedge separating the tub from nearby washer. A quick shower would mean water being spilled all over the granite/tile floor throughout entire bathroom. I wasn't too thrilled about this, but didn't let it bother me too much (in hindsight, perhaps i should've voiced my displeasure).

Hotel has two pools (one indoor -- on 2nd floor, under renovation of sorts, second - outdoor). Outdoor pool has a poolside bar as well. A 'towel card' (available from reception at the time of check-in) is required to procure a beach towel. Upon completion of your usage, the towel must be returned otherwise you risk being penalized by 25 Euros :-) Outdoor pool has a kiddy pool, associated child care facilities, a hot tub, and access to a lower deck which has yet another bar, and lounge area right along the rocky/choppy mediterrenean waters. Rightfully so, a safety area, for guest's swimming/diving/snorkling pleasures has been demarcated. Guests are advised to not cross the demarcation.

Hotel also has affiliation with "Reef Club". Reef club appeared to be an independent property which operated a psuedo-infinity pool along the mediterrenean coastline. I didn't get a chance to check it out personally, but it didn't look too shabby.

The hotel's location is also pretty central. It is about a 5-7 min walk from "Paceville" -- deemed as the most happening (hipster) area of the town; lined with plethora of bars, lounges, restaurants, and clubs to choose from.

From the looks of it, the hotel seemed to have everything (from helpful staff, to top-notch amenities) a resort is supposed to. If I were to visit Malta again, this is definitely the place i'll stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear MaulikVaidya,
Thank you first of all for recommending the Westin Dragonara Resort and for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you found our service efficient, staff polite and the location as exceptional.
Thank you for your comments about your bathroom as this will help us to improve further our facilities. On another note allow me to highlight that the Westin Dragonara Resort does not have an affiliation with the Reef Club, but the facilities fall within the Resorts’ property. Thus, the Resort includes 3 pools.

We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again during your next visit to Malta, and indeed have the time to experience the Reef Club facilities, that are as a matter of fact unique within the 5 star properties on the Maltese Islands. Should you wish to contact us directly to arrange your next visit please do not hesitate on maria.attard@westin.com

Be Well,
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We have just returned from a very good weeks stay at the Westin Dragonara. Our overall opinion is that whilst it is a very fine hotel with many good features it does lack the 'finshing touches' of other 5 star hotels we have stayed at in other countries. That said, the Executive room that we had was of a very good size and was air conitioned, clean & comfortable with towels changed twice daily, robes etc. We also had use of the air conditioned Exec lounge for free evening drinks/canapes and breakfast - a welcome change from the usual 'breakfast scrum' that sometimes happens in large hotels. We stayed on a B&B basis so did not get to try the in house restaurants - but be warned drinks are VERY expensive (definitely 5 star prices!!) i.e. 10 Euros for three soft drinks (just under £10!!). There are lots of local places to eat within a 10 - 20 min walk - we enjoyed several very good, well priced meals outside of the hotel.
The hotel staff team were very friendly and helpful - in fact most went out of their way to be welcoming and engage with you. Worthy of special mention are Yvonne and the team in the Exec Lounge - very nice all round!!
Externally - loads and loads of sunbed space both poolside and right by the edge of the sea - again clean & comfortable. Good access to the sea for swimming and snorkeling.
This hotel is in a very good location for St Julians - but if you don't like a 'club 18-30' feel avoid Paceville (5 mins walk away) very commercial, noisy & full of under 25s after 9pm!! That said it is also a very pleasant stroll in the opposite direction into St Julians Bay itself which is bustling (at night) but also pretty with plenty of nice & good quality places to eat.

Overall we would recommend this hotel for its location, staff team and value (with exception of drinks' prices). Perhaps compare the Hilton (which sits alongside in similar location).

Room Tip: Exec rooms worth paying for if you prefer to eat breakfast in a quiet, unhurried place away from the...
Dear Katfish_7,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor and also for recommending the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that your overall experience with us was a great one. We have also taken note of your feedback as well as your comments and have shared them with the Management Team for evaluation.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Dragonara Resort in the not too distant future, for which we urge you to contact us directly.

Be Well Be Westin,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed in The Westin and Le Meridien in St Julians Bay for 2 nights recently. The Westin was our first and better stop. Staff and service was excellent. Rooms were large with good balconies and views over the sea. The breakfast selection was huge and no waiting around for a table or hot beverages. Both pools were nice as well as the private access to the sea. The gym was excellent - very well equipped with good ac. My only negatives were a leaking shower/bath and the fact that the balcony doors had a fault and you could get locked out. Kids and families are very welcome here.

Dear bradlc,

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to place such a fantastic review about the Westin Dragonara Resort.

Our aim is to make each and every guests' stay with us as heavenly and renewing as possible, so we are very pleased to see that you and your family were satisfied with the service of our staff and the facilities.

In light of your comment relating to the bathroom rest assured that our Maintenance team have been informed to ensure their immediate action.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin and on behalf of the rest of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

With warm wishes,
Sliema, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

we have come back to the Westin to organise 2 yearly events for 250 persons each one and aprt from the service being the usual Westin excellent the organisation of the events was so easy with the professional help of the expereinced staff and managers. Nothis is a chore or impossible for the staff !! they are fantastic!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear ela2311,

Primarily, on behalf of the Westin team allow me to thank you for making the time to share on Trip Advisor your event organisation at the Resort once again.

We are glad to read that once again our Events team as well as our Food and Beverage team have met up to your needs and expectation in relation to your event.

We do look forward to working with you again and hosting another event for your team.

Be Well,
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,289 reviews
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta? Share your experiences!