“Very Relaxing”
Review of Hilton Malta

Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed September 14, 2006

Hotel was great, St Julians is the place to be as everything that is great about Malta is there. The hotel pools are amazing and even had a chance to check out the spa massages which were very good.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rav77
There are newer reviews for Hilton Malta

Reviewed September 12, 2006

We have just returned from a week staying at this lovely hotel and having checked out this hotel on Trip Advisor before booking, we noticed some excellent reviews and believe me, it really does live up to them! All the staff are courteous, helpful and they ALL smile, making everyone feel so welcome. The reception staff set you at ease as soon as you walk in and you are immediately offered cold juice or water. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and spotlessly clean. (A cleaning supervisor called at our room twice to see if everything was up to standard) The restaurants are superb, breakfast in particular is a joy, with the choice of food just mind blowing and again the staff are so efficient (but not intrusive).
The pool area is clean and very well organised and there always seemed to be plenty of sun beds, so the few people who did lay their towels out in the early morning really were wasting their time.
We have been lucky enough to stay at some very nice hotels around the world, and the Hilton, Malta really is in the top few. We will definately be going back again next year, to enjoy this superb hotel and see more of Malta.

Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank Buckby
Reviewed September 3, 2006

Just returned from a wonderful 3 nights at the Hilton Malta.

The hotel is beatifully designed and situated on the sea front next to the new marina. Rooms are reasonably large, well furnished and spotlessly clean. All rooms have a sea or harbour view. Unfortunatley the hotel was full so we didnt get a free upgrade to an executive room that we would normally get as gold members. However the room we booked was still very nice - no complaints!!

There are, I think, 5 restaurants in the hotel and whilst they are pricey the food we tried was very good. Breakfast was great and there was no wait - even at busy times (9 - 9.30) and even though the hotel was full!!

There are 3 pools and a jacuzzi (plus an indoor pool and healthclub) and one of the pools is adults only so you can escape the screaming kids!! They are currently building some more rooms and another pool but there is no noise from the builders (I didn't even notice they were doing building work at first as it is on the very edge of the hotel grounds and they also dont work weekends).

There are some nice restaurants by the harbour - 2 mins walk - which are much cheaper than the hotel and the nightlife in Paceville (10 mins walk) is very good.

Overall the hotel is beautiful (one of the nicest we have stayed in) the service is excellent, the food is very good, the pools are wonderful and they have the extra little touches you expect at a 5* (eg they bring round cold towels to put across your forehead whilst by the pool).

Would highly recommend this hotel (although Malta wasn't particularly amazing). Incidentally some friends of ours were staying at the Westin and, although it is very nice, it is not as nice as the hilton.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank msganc
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Having spent many hours on trip advisor choosing my very special hotel from where to have our base, for our wedding in Malta, I'm so relieved we booked at the Hilton.
It was a dream.
The staff were so friendly, warm , helpful and efficient and most importantly sincere.
The food choice were immense and freshly made- my extra pounds gained can vouch for that.
The pool areas and outdoor activities were second to none-everything available to you at the drop of a hat, even the cold flannels that were handed out to you as you sat around the pool.
The room was gorgeous and we were given a complimentary bottle of wine as it was our wedding.
Even though my husband- to- be snapped his achilles tendon the day before the wedding (trust him!!!), and had to have emergency surgery, the staff bent over backwards to help us in any way they could-loaning us a wheelchair, offering support and help-the concierge Charles, even wheeled my hubby down to our room, as I was carrying a number of things-including his crutches!
The night of the wedding my husband had to go back into hospital before the stroke of midnight-just like cinderella, and i returned to our hotel room to find the staff had surprised us by 'dressing the bed' in rose petals. A gorgeous bouquet of flowers were vased on the table. The staff weren't to know he wouldn't be returning with me-but the thought was there. My 2 teenage children stayed with me all night and the staff didn't mind at all.
Room service was excellent, worth paying a bit extra for breakfast on the terrace as a treat. The poached eggs were cooked to perfection and the crusts from the bread had even been removed! I felt so spoilt.
All in all we couldn't have wished for a better hotel. Special mention for the quarterdeck bar-fabulous views over the marina.
10 out of 10

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank gemxx
Reviewed August 9, 2006

My husband, daughter (aged 3) and I stayed at the Hilton Malta in June this year for two weeks, and I can only say that our experience of the Hotel was excellent. Everything from the rooms, room service (our maid was extremely friendly and very helpful, nothing was every too much trouble), breakfast, hotel staff, pool area and pool staff (especially Martin who was excellent with the children and supplied all sorts of toys for them to play with in the pool) were all 5 star.

The Spa facilities are also fabulous, we used the spa and indoor pool on a number of occassions and the treatments were all first class. My husband also used the gym which was kitted out extremely well.

The spa and gym also have a creche attached, and was excellent value . Our daughter had a great time on the number of occassions that she visited.

The marina and harbour are just a short walk and the area has some excellent restaurants. I can honestly say that we never had a bad meal in the two week we were there. There are far to many restuarants to mention but a few that come to mind are The Bed in the Marina, Il Lupo in Paceville, Terrazzo on the harbour front and The Blue Elephant in the Hotel.

Our overall experience in the two weeks we were there was excellent and we would definately revisit the Hotel.

8  Thank Ericsson
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My wife and I have just returned from our honeymoon at the Hilton Malta. Overall we had a fantastic honeymoon and I agree with the majority of the reviews I have read, although there are one or two areas that we feel need pointing out to any future visitors.

The service and helpfulness of staff could not be of a higher standard. Reception were very friendly and room service was prompt and of a generally high quality.
The main part of the hotel is welcoming and very well air-conditioned and there is always a member of staff available should you need them.

The room we were given originally was a fairly standard sea view room, with a perhaps disproportionately large balcony. After some negotiations we managed to secure a move to a corner suite room on the 8th floor. This was a much more appropriate room for a honeymoon. Excellent size, with 2 balconies and a larger living area. We ended up spending 5 of our 14 nights in this room and the reason we changed again would be my biggest warning to any future visitors, when checking in ask for a room on the wing of the hotel by Portomaso Harbour, generally the lower numbered rooms on each floor. The only reason I can think of that the problem with the Westin Hotel that has not been mentioned before is that these visitors were already on the right side of the hotel. The Westin is a large hotel on the other side of the bay, probably 400 yards as the crow flies. In the evening they have a openair beach party with a DJ playing. Now my wife and I are both under 30 and far from finished with our clubbing days, but I can honestly say that I have never heard music played louder, aside from an Oasis concert. It started about 8:30pm and meant that we were genuinely having to shout to each other on our balcony. Eventually it meant we had to move into our room and once the tv was off, you could hear the contstant noise of bass. The final straw came on the Friday night when it went on until 4am. We managed to secure a move to the same type of room on the other side of the hotel and this was actually a nicer room, with slightly better views, but was infinitely better due to the much more pleasant levels of noise. The rooms themselves have a good minibar choice, although it is expensive as one would expect. There is a good choice of films on pay tv and we found the air con very effective. In the corner suites they have used carpets, which is obviously nice when getting up in the middle of the night, but not overly hygenic for a sun holiday and the one criticism of the room I would make is that it could and should have been hoovered more often and to a higher standard.

The food was absolutely excellent. Breakfast had an excellent range of anything you could want and the quality was maintained when it was served in your room as we had on several occasions. For lunch we either went to the Merkanti Beach Club, where the standards of food and service were very good or the Oceana again which was of a very high standard for lunch.
For dinner the one place you must go to is the Blue Elephant. In the 5 years we have been together this is easily the best restaurant we have ever been to. We love Thai and have never had better quality served up to us. The location, especially sitting outside is lovely, but for me the key was the unbelievable service. The attentiveness, the knowledge and the discretion shown was top drawer. We went twice and on our 2nd visit my wife was given a lovely Thai Orchid as a thank you for coming twice. We would go every week if we lived there.
Room service was good, although the menu could be slightly broader. Oceana and La Bottega looked very nice and were always busy. The Al fresco Gazebo looks divine and the food appealed to me, but there wasn't a great option for veggies. The only problem is that it is outside and in the Maltese Times I read one food critic saying food and service were excellent, but you couldn't enjoy your meal due to the noise coming from the Westin Hotel.

Having seen much of the island during our 2 week stay, the location of the hotel is very good. There is an excellent choice of restuarants in Spinola Bay - we liked Rafaels for something cheap and cheerful. We found San Giuliano's overpriced. The one place I would avoid would be the Portomaso Cafe near the front of the hotel. It seemed to be popular with other guests, but we found the food and service the worst we encountered in Malta.

The Pool areas are pretty good., although again they could be cleaner. We tended to lie by the adult pool as the main pool at the hotel was overrun by kids and to be honest I think that could do with addressing. The beach club pool was pretty good, although you felt a bit on show. Again as a warning for visitors to the hotel, you get seemingly whole Italian families turning up at the weekends and they can be and generally are pretty loud, whilst dominating the pool and seem unable to chastise their children no matter how boistrous their behaviour becomes. Also especially at weekends there are just about enough beds to go round and there is the usual round of putting towels down much before you go out to lie on them, which I'm ashamed to say I got drawn into! As a very small aside for anyone slightly bigger than the average person, the sun beds without arms on the side are far comfier than those with.

Just a few words about Malta, Valetta, Vittoriosa, Senglea and Mdina are worth seeing. Don't worry about seeing the rest. Do the Malta at night trip and the highlights of Malta. I personally would avoid the market trip to Marshaxlokk, really not that interesting or pretty. Other people recommended Comino and the Blue Lagoon, but we didn't get there unfortunately. If you like watersports do a ringo ride from the company near the beach club, best one we've ever done.
Overall though the hotel was very good and we had a fantastic honeymoon. The cleanliness could do with improving and the Westin could do with shutting down, but if we could afford to we would fly to Malta for a long weekend stay in room 616 and dine at least once at the Blue Elephant. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
14  Thank JamandJac
Reviewed July 29, 2006

My wife and I went to the Maldives earlier in the year and one of the nicest touches was the ice cold towels and cold drinks that greeted us on arrival. I wasn't expecting that on arrival at the Malta Hilton but when we arrived we were greeted with ice cold towels and cold drinks. From that moment we knew we were in for a great stay and we were not disappointed. To be honest from the moment we booked direct with the hotel you knew you were dealing with a hotel that prides itself with excellent customer service, and when they collected us from the ferry port (we had been staying on Gozo) nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were fantastic with great sea views. When we booked we wanted 1twin room for our daughters and 1 king for us. We also wanted the rooms fairly close to each other. I don't know why I was doubting the hotel to deliver, but they did. The food was brillant. At breakfast you had so much choice and do you know the difference between orange juice and fresh orange juice? Well at the Hilton they serve fresh orange juice. Lunch was taken at the beach club, and if you eat nothing else try the ribs. I am coming to believe that the Maltese deliver some of the best ribs in the world .Don't know what they do, but boy are they tasty. In the evening we had one meal in the oceania and one meal in the blue elephant restaurant. The blue elephant is out of this world. Go over your budget and eat there. You will not have a better experience in a restaurant. The other evenings we walked into St julians and had two great meals by the waterfront. We also had a meal at the Westin. The hotel is five star and price wise is on the top end, but it is worth the expense. Finally going back to those ice cold towels. Not only do you get them when you arrive, but during the day while you are sunning yourself on the loungers they will come round two or three times to hand them out, and believe me an ice cold towel on a really hot day cannot be beaten. Great stay, we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!