“ABS BRILLIANT”
Review of Hilton Malta

Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Having spent many hours on trip advisor choosing my very special hotel from where to have our base, for our wedding in Malta, I'm so relieved we booked at the Hilton.
It was a dream.
The staff were so friendly, warm , helpful and efficient and most importantly sincere.
The food choice were immense and freshly made- my extra pounds gained can vouch for that.
The pool areas and outdoor activities were second to none-everything available to you at the drop of a hat, even the cold flannels that were handed out to you as you sat around the pool.
The room was gorgeous and we were given a complimentary bottle of wine as it was our wedding.
Even though my husband- to- be snapped his achilles tendon the day before the wedding (trust him!!!), and had to have emergency surgery, the staff bent over backwards to help us in any way they could-loaning us a wheelchair, offering support and help-the concierge Charles, even wheeled my hubby down to our room, as I was carrying a number of things-including his crutches!
The night of the wedding my husband had to go back into hospital before the stroke of midnight-just like cinderella, and i returned to our hotel room to find the staff had surprised us by 'dressing the bed' in rose petals. A gorgeous bouquet of flowers were vased on the table. The staff weren't to know he wouldn't be returning with me-but the thought was there. My 2 teenage children stayed with me all night and the staff didn't mind at all.
Room service was excellent, worth paying a bit extra for breakfast on the terrace as a treat. The poached eggs were cooked to perfection and the crusts from the bread had even been removed! I felt so spoilt.
All in all we couldn't have wished for a better hotel. Special mention for the quarterdeck bar-fabulous views over the marina.
10 out of 10

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank gemxx
Write a ReviewReviews (4,919)

Reviewed August 9, 2006

My husband, daughter (aged 3) and I stayed at the Hilton Malta in June this year for two weeks, and I can only say that our experience of the Hotel was excellent. Everything from the rooms, room service (our maid was extremely friendly and very helpful, nothing was every too much trouble), breakfast, hotel staff, pool area and pool staff (especially Martin who was excellent with the children and supplied all sorts of toys for them to play with in the pool) were all 5 star.

The Spa facilities are also fabulous, we used the spa and indoor pool on a number of occassions and the treatments were all first class. My husband also used the gym which was kitted out extremely well.

The spa and gym also have a creche attached, and was excellent value . Our daughter had a great time on the number of occassions that she visited.

The marina and harbour are just a short walk and the area has some excellent restaurants. I can honestly say that we never had a bad meal in the two week we were there. There are far to many restuarants to mention but a few that come to mind are The Bed in the Marina, Il Lupo in Paceville, Terrazzo on the harbour front and The Blue Elephant in the Hotel.

Our overall experience in the two weeks we were there was excellent and we would definately revisit the Hotel.

8  Thank Ericsson
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My wife and I have just returned from our honeymoon at the Hilton Malta. Overall we had a fantastic honeymoon and I agree with the majority of the reviews I have read, although there are one or two areas that we feel need pointing out to any future visitors.

The service and helpfulness of staff could not be of a higher standard. Reception were very friendly and room service was prompt and of a generally high quality.
The main part of the hotel is welcoming and very well air-conditioned and there is always a member of staff available should you need them.

The room we were given originally was a fairly standard sea view room, with a perhaps disproportionately large balcony. After some negotiations we managed to secure a move to a corner suite room on the 8th floor. This was a much more appropriate room for a honeymoon. Excellent size, with 2 balconies and a larger living area. We ended up spending 5 of our 14 nights in this room and the reason we changed again would be my biggest warning to any future visitors, when checking in ask for a room on the wing of the hotel by Portomaso Harbour, generally the lower numbered rooms on each floor. The only reason I can think of that the problem with the Westin Hotel that has not been mentioned before is that these visitors were already on the right side of the hotel. The Westin is a large hotel on the other side of the bay, probably 400 yards as the crow flies. In the evening they have a openair beach party with a DJ playing. Now my wife and I are both under 30 and far from finished with our clubbing days, but I can honestly say that I have never heard music played louder, aside from an Oasis concert. It started about 8:30pm and meant that we were genuinely having to shout to each other on our balcony. Eventually it meant we had to move into our room and once the tv was off, you could hear the contstant noise of bass. The final straw came on the Friday night when it went on until 4am. We managed to secure a move to the same type of room on the other side of the hotel and this was actually a nicer room, with slightly better views, but was infinitely better due to the much more pleasant levels of noise. The rooms themselves have a good minibar choice, although it is expensive as one would expect. There is a good choice of films on pay tv and we found the air con very effective. In the corner suites they have used carpets, which is obviously nice when getting up in the middle of the night, but not overly hygenic for a sun holiday and the one criticism of the room I would make is that it could and should have been hoovered more often and to a higher standard.

The food was absolutely excellent. Breakfast had an excellent range of anything you could want and the quality was maintained when it was served in your room as we had on several occasions. For lunch we either went to the Merkanti Beach Club, where the standards of food and service were very good or the Oceana again which was of a very high standard for lunch.
For dinner the one place you must go to is the Blue Elephant. In the 5 years we have been together this is easily the best restaurant we have ever been to. We love Thai and have never had better quality served up to us. The location, especially sitting outside is lovely, but for me the key was the unbelievable service. The attentiveness, the knowledge and the discretion shown was top drawer. We went twice and on our 2nd visit my wife was given a lovely Thai Orchid as a thank you for coming twice. We would go every week if we lived there.
Room service was good, although the menu could be slightly broader. Oceana and La Bottega looked very nice and were always busy. The Al fresco Gazebo looks divine and the food appealed to me, but there wasn't a great option for veggies. The only problem is that it is outside and in the Maltese Times I read one food critic saying food and service were excellent, but you couldn't enjoy your meal due to the noise coming from the Westin Hotel.

Having seen much of the island during our 2 week stay, the location of the hotel is very good. There is an excellent choice of restuarants in Spinola Bay - we liked Rafaels for something cheap and cheerful. We found San Giuliano's overpriced. The one place I would avoid would be the Portomaso Cafe near the front of the hotel. It seemed to be popular with other guests, but we found the food and service the worst we encountered in Malta.

The Pool areas are pretty good., although again they could be cleaner. We tended to lie by the adult pool as the main pool at the hotel was overrun by kids and to be honest I think that could do with addressing. The beach club pool was pretty good, although you felt a bit on show. Again as a warning for visitors to the hotel, you get seemingly whole Italian families turning up at the weekends and they can be and generally are pretty loud, whilst dominating the pool and seem unable to chastise their children no matter how boistrous their behaviour becomes. Also especially at weekends there are just about enough beds to go round and there is the usual round of putting towels down much before you go out to lie on them, which I'm ashamed to say I got drawn into! As a very small aside for anyone slightly bigger than the average person, the sun beds without arms on the side are far comfier than those with.

Just a few words about Malta, Valetta, Vittoriosa, Senglea and Mdina are worth seeing. Don't worry about seeing the rest. Do the Malta at night trip and the highlights of Malta. I personally would avoid the market trip to Marshaxlokk, really not that interesting or pretty. Other people recommended Comino and the Blue Lagoon, but we didn't get there unfortunately. If you like watersports do a ringo ride from the company near the beach club, best one we've ever done.
Overall though the hotel was very good and we had a fantastic honeymoon. The cleanliness could do with improving and the Westin could do with shutting down, but if we could afford to we would fly to Malta for a long weekend stay in room 616 and dine at least once at the Blue Elephant. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
14  Thank JamandJac
Reviewed July 29, 2006

My wife and I went to the Maldives earlier in the year and one of the nicest touches was the ice cold towels and cold drinks that greeted us on arrival. I wasn't expecting that on arrival at the Malta Hilton but when we arrived we were greeted with ice cold towels and cold drinks. From that moment we knew we were in for a great stay and we were not disappointed. To be honest from the moment we booked direct with the hotel you knew you were dealing with a hotel that prides itself with excellent customer service, and when they collected us from the ferry port (we had been staying on Gozo) nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were fantastic with great sea views. When we booked we wanted 1twin room for our daughters and 1 king for us. We also wanted the rooms fairly close to each other. I don't know why I was doubting the hotel to deliver, but they did. The food was brillant. At breakfast you had so much choice and do you know the difference between orange juice and fresh orange juice? Well at the Hilton they serve fresh orange juice. Lunch was taken at the beach club, and if you eat nothing else try the ribs. I am coming to believe that the Maltese deliver some of the best ribs in the world .Don't know what they do, but boy are they tasty. In the evening we had one meal in the oceania and one meal in the blue elephant restaurant. The blue elephant is out of this world. Go over your budget and eat there. You will not have a better experience in a restaurant. The other evenings we walked into St julians and had two great meals by the waterfront. We also had a meal at the Westin. The hotel is five star and price wise is on the top end, but it is worth the expense. Finally going back to those ice cold towels. Not only do you get them when you arrive, but during the day while you are sunning yourself on the loungers they will come round two or three times to hand them out, and believe me an ice cold towel on a really hot day cannot be beaten. Great stay, we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank fbs1959
Reviewed July 19, 2006

We've just returned from getting married at the Hilton Malta and we couldn't have had a nicer wedding, everything about this hotel is fantastic and everything was so well organised.
The hotel is fabulous, the staff were fantastic and couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The location is lovely, we had a room overlooking the marina with a really beautiful view and it was lovely and quiet at night. We had our wedding reception in the Gazebo resteraunt and the food was absolutely fabulous in a beautiful setting and considering the level of service and the quality of the meal it was very reasonably priced. The breakfasts were also fantastic with a a really varied choice. I would recommend anyone to stay at this hotel - but not if you're on a tight budget, we paid roughly £16 for two large orange juices at the beach bar and although they were very nice the price is excessive.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Jelly_Smith
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I sadly returned from Malta yesterday, we’ve stayed the Hilton for a week and greatly enjoyed the hotel and our overall stay there.
Since I’ve did much research one week prior to our departure and read several reviews as well as suggestions as to where to go, what to eat etc on the Malta forum, I thought I should share my two cents as well.
The Hilton, wonderful Hotel!!! The staff is friendly, polite, extremely helpful and pleasant. I didn’t witness any “waiter smiles”, everyone seemed very sincere and eager to please. The hotel is over all very clean, spacious and well organized. We’ve had a pool view room, in all actuality it’s a sea view room but it was on the same level as the pool, still very nice.

The Hilton is very pricey, which I expected. Especially if you have to exchange us dollars to lira or even euro to lira, even thou we were half board we still spent quite the amount on water, by the pool drinks, etc. but it was worth it!!!
We enjoyed the pools daily, there where some children but that didn’t bother us at all in fact it made it a little more entertaining. Around noon we would leave the hotel complex and explore a bit, have lunch and shop or just walk along the promenade.
We also enjoyed the spa very much; we had massages, facials, pedicures and manicures. Wonderful staff as well!

Now the only “complaints” I have about the hotel is that our room was extremely humid even with the air conditioner going, therefore our bedding was always “wet”. This was quite uncomfortable when we would go to bed; there were also a couple of areas in the bathroom that weren’t cleaned every day. We would receive fresh towels daily and everything was straightened up but hardly cleaned.

As for dinning, all restaurants where mentioned in previous previews and they all are great. I have to point out the Blue elephant thou; we have heard so many great things about that restaurant. In previews, the staff of the hotel, as well as people living on the island highly recommended that restaurant. The restaurant even received an x amount of rewards and raving paper reviews. I honestly have no Idea WHY!!??

My husband and I had reservations for the blue elephant on Thursday at 21h. We were greeted by a very friendly man who seated us at a table outside on the deck as per our request overlooking the marina. The inside of the restaurant looked wonderful, and everyone seemed friendly as well. But once we were seated it took 25 minutes to receive our pre dinner drinks and starters. Once they were served it took another 40 minutes to receive the main course. No one came in between to check on us or take another order, thou our glassed were long empty. The food was very good but I don’t believe justified the prices. I certainly don’t believe the restaurant deserved the awards that it has received unless we are the exception that received terrible service at the blue elephant. I didn’t use the restrooms, thou they were rated “the cleanest restaurant restrooms on the island” so I wouldn’t be able to rate those.

However I highly recommend the Gazebo, we dined there on Friday and we were more than pleased with the service, quality of meals as well as the romantic atmosphere! Wonderful restaurant!!!

I would also recommend the Hilton Malta to anyone, 5 stars indeed.

• Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank taken
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton, Malta for two weeks in June with my Husband, son of 5 and daughted of 20 months. It was simply fantastic and cannot find anything to complain about.
We found all the staff to be extremely friendly and excellent with the children. The restaurant staff would offer the kids kinder bars or jellies after breakfast each morning. The buffet breakfast was superb and certainly would leave you feeling full right up until evening time. Pool staff were also very helpful - putting up umbrellas, moving sunbeds for us and even doing first aid, my son had a few falls by the pool as kids do!! and Martin was really great in fixing him up! I have to recommend the Blue Elephant Restaurant, we ate here twice it was so good, deffinately the best Thai food I've ever had and again staff there were great with Children. In short I'd highly recommend this hotel and most deffinately iif you're holidaying with young children as it's in close proximity to shops and restaurants nearby and very child friendly in the hotel itself.

• Stayed: June 2006
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!